Problems with Schiit Lyr
Aug 10, 2011 at 7:35 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 26

rille2

Head-Fier
I have a Schiit Lyr here which makes some problems. It makes a quite loud hum. Sounds like a typical 50Hz hum. With headphones with high sensitivity it's annoying. But even with a HD-650 which is not very sensitiv it's hearable. Could it be the unregulated (my guess because I can see no voltage regulators) power supply?

Another more serious problem is the very loud turn-on and turn-off noise. I checked it with a DMM and there is a very high DC voltage at the output. It raises several volts, ~6V if I turn it on and ~3V if I turn it off. This is much too high and can damage the headphones. Why is there no relais which connects the phones after the amp has stabilized and discoonects them immediately at turn-off?

Aug 10, 2011 at 8:31 PM Post #3 of 26
From personal experience I do hear hum when I plug in low impedance headphones such as Grado and Alessandro. This hum has been mentioned in some of the threads about the Lyr already.

I do not hear loud noises when I turn on or off the Lyr. Then again I never turn it on or off with any headphone plugged in.

The newer revision of the Lyr has a relay built in. (Then again, some people were concerned whether the addition of the relay would affect the sound quality...).

My Lyr is the version without the relay so I don't have personal experience with what the relay does.

Aug 10, 2011 at 9:46 PM Post #4 of 26

Quote:
I have a Schiit Lyr here which makes some problems. It makes a quite loud hum. Sounds like a typical 50Hz hum. With headphones with high sensitivity it's annoying. But even with a HD-650 which is not very sensitiv it's hearable. Could it be the unregulated (my guess because I can see no voltage regulators) power supply?

Another more serious problem is the very loud turn-on and turn-off noise. I checked it with a DMM and there is a very high DC voltage at the output. It raises several volts, ~6V if I turn it on and ~3V if I turn it off. This is much too high and can damage the headphones. Why is there no relais which connects the phones after the amp has stabilized and discoonects them immediately at turn-off?

The manufacturer makes it quite clear the Lyr should not be used to drive typical headphones - only orthos, and the 600 ohm Beyers.  I don't know how you missed that.

It's the reason I canceled my order - I checked with Lyr and they advised me to cancel my order, since I wanted to use it to drive both my HE-500's and other phones.  The noise floor is too high, and the gain is too high for the POT to have a usable range with typical phones.

Aug 11, 2011 at 5:44 AM Post #5 of 26
It's not my amp :wink:

I can find nothing at the product page that it is not suitable for high sensitive headphones. And the low sensitive headphones could also be damaged by the high DC at output. Schiit says only that it has enough power for all headphones including orthodynamic headphones. It's not only the hum. There're other noises that are fluctuating and are annoying also with low sensitive headphones.

I will advise the owner to try to give it back.

Quote:
The newer revision of the Lyr has a relay built in. (Then again, some people were concerned whether the addition of the relay would affect the sound quality...).

This amp has no relay. But thanks for the info that they improved the amp.

Aug 11, 2011 at 1:12 PM Post #6 of 26
Did you try contacting the manufacturer before posting this thread?

Aug 11, 2011 at 1:53 PM Post #7 of 26
Hi there,

i have the same problems with my Lyr. There is a noticeable hum even with my LCD2 and with my HD650. Well, the LCD2 don't need such power that the Lyr offers.
The hum is hearable even when the power cable is plugged in and the rca cables are plugged out. I don't know if the newer units with the relay will solve the humming problem.
Do you think it is better turning the amp on without headphones plugged in? The sound of the amp is great but the hum is something that makes me worried about.

Aug 12, 2011 at 2:29 AM Post #8 of 26
Yeah, there is still a small amount hiss, not hum with my LCD2 at very high volume knob, which is absolute out of my listening range and it doesnt really matter when the LCD2 is starting to sing. If you get a noticeable hum even it is at minimum volume knob, perhaps its from your tubes, maybe one of them is defective, try to swap with other tubes then.

Quote:
Hi there,

i have the same problems with my Lyr. There is a noticeable hum even with my LCD2 and with my HD650. Well, the LCD2 don't need such power that the Lyr offers.
The hum is hearable even when the power cable is plugged in and the rca cables are plugged out. I don't know if the newer units with the relay will solve the humming problem.
Do you think it is better turning the amp on without headphones plugged in? The sound of the amp is great but the hum is something that makes me worried about.

Aug 12, 2011 at 5:58 AM Post #10 of 26
Yeah, there is still a small amount hiss, not hum with my LCD2 at very high volume knob, which is absolute out of my listening range and it doesnt really matter when the LCD2 is starting to sing. If you get a noticeable hum even it is at minimum volume knob, perhaps its from your tubes, maybe one of them is defective, try to swap with other tubes then.

No, i just tried about 5 different tube pairs with the same result. I think the power supply causes the humming....

Aug 13, 2011 at 2:00 PM Post #11 of 26
I hear a light hum on the Lyr that becomes inaudible as soon as the music starts. I typically listen between 9-12 on the pot. I thought I read somewhere that this is normal behavior for the Lyr?  

Nov 10, 2011 at 12:22 AM Post #12 of 26
1 more thing The Lyr after a few hours of listening ,it's very hot, including the vol knob so it's not very nice to turn the vol knob after that. I wish schiit audio has some other ways to dissipate the heat, or is there anything I can do to do that?

Nov 10, 2011 at 12:36 AM Post #13 of 26

Quote:
1 more thing The Lyr after a few hours of listening ,it's very hot, including the vol knob so it's not very nice to turn the vol knob after that. I wish schiit audio has some other ways to dissipate the heat, or is there anything I can do to do that?

I bought the tubemonger socket saver for aesthetic reason. But it does help dissipate the heat

Users who are viewing this thread

Back