Problem with Stax SR40
Feb 1, 2011 at 1:23 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

GiovanniP

New Head-Fier
Hi,
I'm new to the forums, and really like the community, I know there are a lot of knowledgeable headphone owners here so I would like to ask you a question.

I recently bought a pair of Stax SR-40 from ebay, for 20 bucks (without energizer, already had the SRD-7 SB), they arrived and sound amazing, but I have already been shocked by them (electric shock) like more than 50 times, in fact 1 of every 2 times I touch the metal part of the phones while playing I get shocked.
It's not a hard shock, but it isn't a light shock either, after several of them it really starts to hurt.

I am pretty sure this isn't something normal, so any idea why I'm getting shocked by them?

I haven't get shocked by them while on my head, so what I am doing right now is only touching them on the plastic or leather parts, I am even afraid of wearing them now.

Could it even be a problem from the SRD-7 adapter?

Help please!

Feb 1, 2011 at 1:56 AM Post #2 of 4
After listening to them for about 1 1/2 hours the right driver has gotten real hot, not too hot to touch, but hot enough to get me worried, the left driver is fine BTW, could that be related to the other problem?

Sep 7, 2012 at 6:48 PM Post #4 of 4
Quote:
Hi,
I'm new to the forums, and really like the community, I know there are a lot of knowledgeable headphone owners here so I would like to ask you a question.

I recently bought a pair of Stax SR-40 from ebay, for 20 bucks (without energizer, already had the SRD-7 SB), they arrived and sound amazing, but I have already been shocked by them (electric shock) like more than 50 times, in fact 1 of every 2 times I touch the metal part of the phones while playing I get shocked.
It's not a hard shock, but it isn't a light shock either, after several of them it really starts to hurt.

I am pretty sure this isn't something normal, so any idea why I'm getting shocked by them?

I haven't get shocked by them while on my head, so what I am doing right now is only touching them on the plastic or leather parts, I am even afraid of wearing them now.

Could it even be a problem from the SRD-7 adapter?

Help please!

I own an SR-44: SR-40 plus SRD-4 adapter, if I remember correctly.  (I am at work, the headphones are at home.)  It may be that the SRD-7 adapter is built for electrostatic headphones, not for electret headphones such as the SR-40.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back