problem with SONY NW HD3
Apr 20, 2005 at 4:12 AM Post #16 of 45
i also tried copying avi files directly into the hd3, but error message says that the file or something is externally altered? can anyone with a imported hd3 confirm my problem?

when u open the hd3 folder, does it initially have OMGaudio folder in it and 1 DAT file? where do u copy normal data files into? can it be formatted from windows? how long does it take for SS to recognize ur hd3 and transfer tracks to it? mine usually freezes b4 detecting my hd3, or during transfer, all it happens when i click on transfer is the tracks being moved to the right side(hd3 side) then no response afterwards no matter how long i wait. i've unplug the usb many times during this.......since i got no choice....

sorry for asking so many questions, but i really need answers...even worse, mine is bought overseas.....><

Apr 20, 2005 at 6:00 AM Post #17 of 45
The transfer is slow and it's slower if it has to convert to ATRAC. Be sure that you configure SS to convert automatically when it's in a format that the HD3 doesn't recognize.
Second, when you use the ss 3.0 first time it says that it has to initialize the hd3 because it's a diferent db format. If you don't do that the ss 3.0 doesn't work.
Another thing I do always is to delete the local (in PC) Optimized files. It's where it puts the converted files so ss 3.0 converted again the files (I don't know if this is important but I did it).

Apr 20, 2005 at 6:26 AM Post #18 of 45
the player does startup everytime i connect the hd3 to comp, i suppose that means it can detect the device, HOWEVER, when i click on that top right blue transfer button, it says no device connected.....? i've been trying to transfer files for the whole day now....and tons of freezes on comp where i have to unplug the player during the process......now i think its getting worse, its like impossible to detect the hd3 again...worse, not a single file can be transfered, even from explorer...no1 ever has this problem right? do i have some defective unit??????

Apr 20, 2005 at 7:33 AM Post #19 of 45
I'll try this:
- Recover XP to the point before installation SS 3.0
- Reinstall SS 2.3
- Initialize HD3 (from HD3). SS 2.3 is db format compatible with HD3.
At this point everything should go ok.

If you want to install SS 3.0 after this.
- Connect HD3.
- Install SS 3
- Be sure to initialize the HD3 when asked for. (SS 3.0 initialize database HD3 in different way).

Good luck.

Apr 20, 2005 at 10:40 AM Post #20 of 45
i've got to the part to transfer, and the drive finally showned up as 18.6gb drive....is the transfer process shown by little red arrow followed by the song name? it takes me ages to even get to this stage, but its not moving anymore. i'm using SS 2.3 jap version. b4 this, it says the hd3 is 0kb...then i clicked on the bottom right tab and unchecked the settings from auto atrac 3 transfer. then finally shown up as a 18.6gb drive... btw, i can't initialize from SS, it says error...

Apr 20, 2005 at 12:10 PM Post #21 of 45
Perhaps as you said you have a deffect in your unit.
The only thing that i can think now is to test it in another computer.

Apr 21, 2005 at 12:51 AM Post #22 of 45
agree with Shosta, try it out on anothor computer

if i were you, i would install a copy of windows xp japan on a seperate partition and dual boot. this is the cleanest, easiest way imo. or install vmware workstation which allows you to run multiple operating systems simultaneously
cool.gif

Apr 21, 2005 at 1:36 AM Post #23 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by pelican
agree with Shosta, try it out on anothor computer

if i were you, i would install a copy of windows xp japan on a seperate partition and dual boot. this is the cleanest, easiest way imo. or install vmware workstation which allows you to run multiple operating systems simultaneously
cool.gif

what's a vmware workstation? i'm downloading a mulitlanguage user interface pack of XP with jap and chinese in it. would that work? can i still run on english?

there isnt a high chance i got a defective unit right..? it'll take alot of hassle to return it.

Apr 21, 2005 at 1:44 AM Post #24 of 45
vmware is like an emulator. when you're running one operating system, you start up vmware which allows you to load up another OS in a window.

for example, i'm running linux and vmware gives me win XP in a window.

as previously mentioned, try and test it on another computer (i have 2 and SS won't even run on one of them). this might be annoying but if you can, try to see if a friend's unit will work on your computer. right now, you don't know what the exact problem is. (defective unit, eng/jap software compatibility, your computer, etc).

Apr 21, 2005 at 2:01 AM Post #25 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by Catastrophe
what's a vmware workstation? i'm downloading a mulitlanguage user interface pack of XP with jap and chinese in it. would that work? can i still run on english?

there isnt a high chance i got a defective unit right..? it'll take alot of hassle to return it.

vmware: http://www.vmware.com/products/desktop/ws_features.html

the multilang pack just helps to display and input japanese/chinese characters. i don't think it would fix your problem.

i doubt your hd3 is defective. i think it's just a japan only item. sony software is too restrictive.

you could reinstall windows and try again....?

Apr 21, 2005 at 2:35 AM Post #26 of 45
Quote:

vmware: http://www.vmware.com/products/desktop/ws_features.html

the multilang pack just helps to display and input japanese/chinese characters. i don't think it would fix your problem.

i doubt your hd3 is defective. i think it's just a japan only item. sony software is too restrictive.

you could reinstall windows and try again....?

well, i am planning on formatting my computer.....since it hasnt been formatted for like 1.5yrs now....so its full of crap><

any idea if i can download win xp jap version somewhere?

Apr 21, 2005 at 3:42 AM Post #27 of 45
the problem with sonicstage is when you uninstall it doesn't uninstall everything completely. it leaves behind lots of bits here and there. when you try reinstalling a different version you'll have problems

i found this on a minidisc forum. i guess they use same software??
http://forums.minidisc.org/index.php?showtopic=8071

try uninstalling this way.....
Quote:

1. Unplug your NetMD or Hi-MD unit. Uninstall all OpenMG related software via the Add/Remove Programs control panel and reboot as necessary. This includes, but is not limited to, OpenMG 2.2, related 'Limited Patches' and the 'Secure Module', SonicStage 1.x/2.x/3.x, Simple Burner 1.x/2.x, and software by RealNetworks.

2. If you run Windows XP/Windows 2000 Professional, proceed to delete the following directories: "Documents and Settings/All Users/Application Data/Sony Corporation and/or Sonicstage", "Program Files/Common Files/Sony Shared", "Program Files/Sony/Sonicstage and /Personal Audio Driver". Similiar directories should be found in lesser Windows operating systems.

3. Start -> Run -> regedit. The 'Registry Editor' utility should appear on your screen. Delete the references to OpenMG located under 'HKEY_CURRENT_USER/Software/Sony Corporation/Sonicstage' and 'HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/Software/Sony Corporation' by right-clicking on the entries.

4. Disable any anti-virus software that is running in the background to free up some resources [if necessary]. Update your installation of Windows at Microsoft Windows Update. For Windows 2000 Professional users, you are recommended to upgrade to Service Pack 3 or later, for Windows XP users, make sure you have Service Pack 2 [this is a must]. Make sure that your unit is disconnected and install the latest build of SonicStage 3.x from Sony Connect. The drivers for Sony units will automaticaly be installed. (If you use a Panasonic or Sharp Hi-MD/NetMD unit, install your drivers before you install Sonicstage!) Once you get back to your desktop, plug in your unit, and start SonicStage 3.x.

reinstall english SS3 and change the 0 to 1

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Sony Corporation\OpenMG\PD\{E1E50A82-ADC9-4263-A175-9454A6A4D7AA}\CheckoutModel key to 1

Apr 22, 2005 at 2:29 AM Post #28 of 45
ok, i've got my friend to try it on his computer and he says dragging files into the player is fine, but sonicstage doesnt work on his computer...is it just other programs clashes with SS?

if files can be transferred to the player without software, then i guess the player is fine right? any tips on getting SS to work properly?

Apr 22, 2005 at 11:39 AM Post #29 of 45
yes, if you can transfer regular files to hd3 then yes it seems to be working

i really believe you could successfully install latest SS if you manage to uninstall previous version completely,deleting refrences in the registry and remove all related directories....

i have windows 2000 sp4 . SS 2.3 (from CD) installed without any problems

Apr 22, 2005 at 11:48 AM Post #30 of 45
Quote:

i really believe you could successfully install latest SS if you manage to uninstall previous version completely,deleting refrences in the registry and remove all related directories....

If you have Windows XP you can restore system to a previous point. I did that before install SS3 the second time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back