Problem with Sennheiser HD598?
Jun 8, 2011 at 12:46 PM Post #17 of 37
The original file is the FLAC or you have the CD? If you have the CD, try listening to that track in a CD player (not your computer).

If you still have the buzz, and if it's always at the same time, then your headphones have a problem.

If you move the cable, can you reproduce the buzz?

Quote:
I don't use an EQ.

I just tested out one of the songs that gives me the worst buzz in flac and no EQ and it's still giving me buzz, maybe my headphones are just messed up.

Jun 9, 2011 at 3:50 AM Post #18 of 37
I hear clipping in certain songs. This is on all my headphones. But what you describe does not seem that. I would just swap out the headphones.

Jun 9, 2011 at 5:31 AM Post #19 of 37
I'm not listening to the CD nor do I have the cd so I can't really do that.

One song where it's very noticeable is the Melvins "Hooch" so if anyone owns the 598's and wants to test that out that would be great.

I'm probably just overacting over the noise because of buyers remorse, but thanks for the help anyway.

Jun 9, 2011 at 6:08 AM Post #20 of 37
just upload desired song somewhere (For science. You monster.)
And explain, what and where is it, what i should be looking for in the music.
So we can test :)

Jun 9, 2011 at 9:00 AM Post #21 of 37
Ok, 

can you give me more details?

I have an E7 and HD598ers. I also have Melvins Houdini. Am trying to replicate your problem tonight.

Are you using the USB from your PC to the E7? Or are you using headphone out from your PC? Which player are you using? iTunes?
Did you try Audirvana (if you use a Mac)?

Please all details about the audio chain. Currently I am listening to the track in this setup:

Audirvana -> USB into E7 (as DAC and Amp) -> Ultrasone Pro750 
I am in the office and don't have my HD598 here, but will try in a few hours at home. There is no static noise in the track. 

But what I can say is that the track "Hooch" doesn't really sound well recorded and mixed in general. 

Will update once I get my hands on my Senns. Please do let me know about the specifics...

Jun 9, 2011 at 10:45 AM Post #22 of 37
I tested here at work (ATH-ES7 direct into the headphone jack of a Mac Pro).

I've listened to it on Spotify (in high quality mode).

Even though I didn't hear any static noise, I did have some distortions on the bass (I have some bass-heavy tracks, and I have no distortions, so it's not a problem of the jack or my headphones).

Maybe Spotify doesn't have this song in high quality and I was streaming in low quality (there's no way to see that, AFAIK), or maybe the song was not well recorded. I'm going to test it at home (using the E7 + HD598s).

But maybe you're just listening to everything now, including the sound's flaws.

Quote:
I'm not listening to the CD nor do I have the cd so I can't really do that.

One song where it's very noticeable is the Melvins "Hooch" so if anyone owns the 598's and wants to test that out that would be great.

I'm probably just overacting over the noise because of buyers remorse, but thanks for the help anyway.

Jun 9, 2011 at 12:22 PM Post #23 of 37
Hi!

am now listening to the song with my HD598 via E7, a NuForce Icon HDP, Schiit Asgard and direct from PC.

I can confirm the bass distortion sounds on HD598 and other headphones. The sound is either willingly that weird recorded or it's really just a "garage recording" it definitively sounds extreme crappy. But it's not the fault of the headphones.

Sorry, but it just does not sound good.

My source file is though also only encoded in AAC at 160kbit/s

Jun 9, 2011 at 2:06 PM Post #24 of 37

Quote:
Hi!

am now listening to the song with my HD598 via E7, a NuForce Icon HDP, Schiit Asgard and direct from PC.

I can confirm the bass distortion sounds on HD598 and other headphones. The sound is either willingly that weird recorded or it's really just a "garage recording" it definitively sounds extreme crappy. But it's not the fault of the headphones.

Sorry, but it just does not sound good.

My source file is though also only encoded in AAC at 160kbit/s

Jun 9, 2011 at 3:06 PM Post #25 of 37
I would use 320 mp3 minimum, that is most likely the problem. Trying using them while playing a videogame and see if it still does that.

Jun 9, 2011 at 4:23 PM Post #26 of 37
I've just listened to the song again, using the E7 + HD 598 and E7 + ATH-ES7, and yes... in both cases I've noticed a lot of distortion (my source was Spotify - I have the premium account, so I've listened to the high quality version, which is Ogg Vorbis q9 (~320kbps)).

So yes, OP.. I think you're headphones are working fine. The only thing is that with them, you will hear everything (including theses flaws in recordings).

Jun 9, 2011 at 5:32 PM Post #27 of 37
192kbps Hooch here, through HD558 and the distortion on the bass is very obvious. Just wanted to pitch in, since it's a song I know (and love).

Jun 11, 2011 at 3:39 AM Post #28 of 37
Sorry I haven't responded to this, but I tested the 598's against my friends 595's and while the buzz was still there it was significantly worse on mine. I had a couple other friends try them out and there was definitely something wrong with them so they've been returned, I decided to pick up some sr225i's instead and am loving them but I kind of miss that sound stage!

Thank you for all the help everyone!

Jul 7, 2011 at 11:17 AM Post #29 of 37
Hello sir.

First, please excuse my English. Coming to purchase a Sennheiser HD 598, I would have liked to know the serial number of the models after modification (without cracking problem)

In advance, thank you.

Jul 11, 2011 at 4:40 AM Post #30 of 37
Hi guillaume smith,

The cracking headband issue has been resolved early on and we've rebuilt the headband with a stronger material. Do rest assure that we'll stand by our 2-year warranty claim. If the headband of your HD 598 cracks, do bring it in to the nearest Sennheiser service centre (together with your receipt/proof of purchase) and we'll duly provide you with a replacement unit. 

Quote:
Hello everyone.

First, please excuse my English. Coming to purchase a Sennheiser HD 598, I would have liked to know the serial number of the models after modification (without cracking problem)

In advance, thank you.

Sennheiser Stay updated on Sennheiser at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/SennheiserUSA https://twitter.com/SennheiserUSA http://www.instagram.com/sennheiser https://sennheiser.com/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back