Problem with input connection on HiFiMAN HE-400 – something is stuck in the input
Oct 27, 2012 at 8:43 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Norway

100+ Head-Fier
Hi,
So I got a pair of used HiFiMAN HE-400 which I purchased second hand today. Sat down, warmed up the good old ol' tube amp from Woo, and tried to fit the plugs. Right channel OK, left channel not so. So I took a closer look at both inputs, and something seems to be stuck inside the left input.

The stock cable looks new and unused and the isolation on both connectors on the cable are present, so I'm thinking that the chap who sold it has used a third party cable and when he disconnected it the isolation on his third party cable were left stuck in the input. I might be wrong though, as I don't know how these inputs are constructed.

Do any of you have an idea of how I can solve this? I've sent the seller a PM (he is not on here, and I don't think he did it on purpose), but I'm anxious to try them and don't want to sit around and wait for him. One idea I had was to try to use a vacuum cleaner to see if I can suck the bugger out of there... But before I do anything, I'd like to hear with you guys.

Both inputs – as you can see there is something stuck in the left input. It isn't hollow like the right one. (of course, the left input is to your right as it is a photo
smily_headphones1.gif
)

Something stuck in the left input, as you can tell.

And again, in case you missed it.

So – do any of you have any suggestions for me? Thank you for your time.

Oct 27, 2012 at 9:20 AM Post #2 of 5
Hhm...I does appear that you haven't something, probably the male piece to another cable stuck there. A very fine pair of tweezers might fish it out. It depends on how tightly it's wedged in there. Otherwise, you looking at disassemble. 

I suggest you pm Jerg as he's good with this sort of stuff.

gL!!

Oct 27, 2012 at 9:35 AM Post #3 of 5
Hi, thanks. The seller and I colluded to get the piece out, and it was indeed a part from his other cables. Luckily for the both of us we were able to remove it by using a very small needle and pull it while having a vacuum cleaner sucking like crazy.

Thank you for your suggestion! :)

Oct 27, 2012 at 10:10 AM Post #5 of 5
Quote:
SO, the big question now is, how do you like them!

Well, I haven't had a lot of time with them, but initial thoughts with some Infected Mushroom are: Fun, fun, fun! :D I hear that they are several steps down from LCD-2 r1 and LCD-3's in terms of SQ, but they still bring a ton of fun to the table. :D Compared to HD 650 I think they sound clearer, faster and crazier, haha. Keep in mind that these are just initial thoughts based on a few minutes of use.

I was also impressed by their build quality, and comfort level is very good this far.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back