Problem with HD-650+Zu Mobius combo...
Apr 16, 2005 at 11:44 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Genetic

Headphoneus Supremus
Hi,

Yesterday the FedEx man brought me my Zu Mobius. Only few minutes after the joy of unpacking them I found out an obvious problem: the left side of my HD-650 is refusing to keep the pins firmly in place. The right side is staying in place firmly with both pins but, again, the left side refuse to stay in place (with the right or the left pin). In other words, if I move my head the left side is unplugging itself quite easily....
eek.gif

Now that I have shared this fascinating and troubling fact of my life... what are the solutions knowing (1) that this cable is not at fault since both pins are working perfectly on the right side and (2) the HD-650 are experiencing no problems with the stock cable which is staying perfectly in it's place.

Since I cant send back the cable saying to the Zu people: «Hey guys the cable is working great but the HD-650 is at fault» or send back the Senn back saying « Hummm....you know... your headphone is working great but I cant match it with the Zu cable....»

What are my options? Do I will have to sell my Zu cable and try the Silver moon since it has the same pins as the stock cable?

Need advices. Thanks in advance.

Apr 16, 2005 at 12:00 PM Post #2 of 10
Funny, my Zu Mobius I bought 1½ years ago had plugs that were too wide to get plugged in, now this. But there's a solution. Temporarily you can use a small piece of paper to make it clamp. A more definitive solution would be to coat the plug with some epoxy resin or the like to make it wider. In any event you're allowed to send the cable back. Zu Cable has a quite generous return policy anyway. But if your fixing works, it would be a pity to do so.

peacesign.gif

Apr 16, 2005 at 1:37 PM Post #4 of 10
Excuse me if this is obvious, but you know the plug pins are of two diameters to maintain polarity? Mine wound up fitting fine, but only after I originally thought they did not. Otherwise, since the Senn pin posts are set to click lock, maybe some specific problem solving as to why they are not locking up is in order and then some artful work with a file?
eek.gif

Apr 16, 2005 at 1:47 PM Post #5 of 10
FWIW, I received a new set from them a couple of weeks ago and the improved connectors seem slightly too loose. I find that I have to be a little more careful when moving the phones around as to not tug off the plugs. It was the right connector that was the looser of the two. They may have slightly "overcorrected" the previous tight fitment problem.

Apr 16, 2005 at 2:51 PM Post #6 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by kontai69
They may have slightly "overcorrected" the previous tight fitment problem.

Thanks to every one. Yes indeed I was worried I had to use «Hulk Hogan» type of force to put them in place. I knew they had modified the plugs to ease the operation, and yes I checked the two sizes little pins. Indeed the fitment is probably having problems just the opposite now. At least in my case I must say.

The left side is disconnecting, not falling down but I loose the left side because it pull a little just from it's own weight, at the first movement on my part.

Good news, I will send them to fellow Head-Fiers for the upcomming Ottawa meet to make a last verification before selling anything.

Thanks again to you all.

Apr 16, 2005 at 4:03 PM Post #7 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mastergill
Hey Genetic, try to forget the 'sheep effect', send this cable back and get a Cardas. It's a shame these guys don't know how to machine their screwing plugs!
smily_headphones1.gif

What does the plug-fitting have to do with the sonics of the zu? Why'd you even post something like this?
confused.gif

Apr 16, 2005 at 4:33 PM Post #8 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kirosia
What does the plug-fitting have to do with the sonics of the zu? Why'd you even post something like this?
confused.gif

Never talked about sonic quality. When you spend $200 on a piece of cable, before even talking about sonic you need the cable to fit properly.
I don't have time to compile all the complain i've read here about those plugs.
I just wanted to say Cardas can be a nice alternative and they know how to make a plug.

Apr 16, 2005 at 4:52 PM Post #9 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mastergill
Never talked about sonic quality. When you spend $200 on a piece of cable, before even talking about sonic you need the cable to fit properly.
I don't have time to compile all the complain i've read here about those plugs.
I just wanted to say Cardas can be a nice alternative and they know how to make a plug.

Okay. But I think he should just try to get a new zu first. Most people don't seem to have too much problem getting it in. His just seems to be defective or something.
tongue.gif
It's all good.

Apr 16, 2005 at 4:57 PM Post #10 of 10
Hey!!!! No fighting is allowed in my thread.....
biggrin.gif

Amicalement

P.S. Yes Mastergill you are right, it is a bit disconcerting for a 3.5 m. cable listed at 274$ (
eek.gif
) playing tricks on me. But I'm sure there will be a solution to this problem.

I will have soon feedback from Head-Fiers who will check my equipment. Very nice people around here....
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back