Problem with ES10's connector, may need recable
Jun 3, 2010 at 7:33 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

Vergex2

100+ Head-Fier
Hi there..

My ES10 is running into problems. The 3.5mm male jack doesn't seem to have any problems on the exterior, but recently, I've noticed that the sound on both channels is pushed way over to the left.. as if everything was soundstaged very strangely. When I pull the jack out by about 1mm, everything is soundstaged over to the right. Sometimes it gets so bad that I lose the right channel. It also seems to impact the sound quality & sound signature. it seems like I am several seats further back now, in contrast to how it was a bit more forward before.. which sounds VERY, VERY strange in electronica. It sounds distant and more muted.. It also sounds fuzzy and distorted.

It is only a few weeks old. I don't know if I can get warranty, because I didn't buy it from an authorized retailer and a lot of the information is in Japanese; I'm not even sure if they offer support for ES10s for North America yet.

So I'm looking for recable suggestions - I want something 107-110cm long (if it can't be that custom, then 1.2m is fine too), very flexible, very resilient to any damage, waterproof, and terminates into a 3.5mm male jack, is gold plated. It should be as neutral/reference as possible, but if that is not possible, then something that brings out the mids more and isn't cold/sterile would be nice. I'd prefer to keep it under $100, I don't really believe in cables and I'm not looking forward to changing my conceptions.

Could anyone also tell me how exactly to open up the ES10s to the part where I can see the drivers and cables? I'm not certain and I don't want to break anything, trying something stupid.'

It'd also be nice if the new cable is compatible with other headphones (I don't know if there are any limitations on recabling), but I may also try the M50, Harx700, a Maestro, etc.

Thanks in advance.

Jun 3, 2010 at 9:26 PM Post #2 of 3
Have you tried the headphones out of a different amp? It sounds to me like it's the amp's problem rather than the headphones.

Jun 3, 2010 at 9:36 PM Post #3 of 3

Quote:
Have you tried the headphones out of a different amp? It sounds to me like it's the amp's problem rather than the headphones.

I first heard it on Mini^3 > S9, then I tried the S9 alone and it had the same problem (this was about an hour ago). When I plugged it into my uDac, either the problem was greatly diminished or wasn't there, because I couldn't tell for certain. I plugged it into my my S9 again (45 minutes ago), and the problems with 'distant sound' and a different sound signature appeared, though I had both channels.

Now, I can't seem to replicate the problem in any of the three configurations. I know however, that is is recursive because it has happened at least twice already - though only confirmed on S9 > Mini^3 and the S9 alone.

It'd really suck if my S9 is dying because I was planning to sell it very soon..

I definitely need to see what is up with my equipment.

I'll recharge my S9 and Mini^3 to see if it helps. I highly doubt there is any problems with power though.. S9 only missing one bar and Mini^3 had a full charge last night and I've only used it 2 hours today. We'll see.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back