Problem With D-25S Or Is It just Me?
Jan 27, 2003 at 1:20 AM Post #31 of 46
LamerDeluxe,

Will I am in the process of purchasing a Denon DCP-100 for
$110.00 plus Priority shipping, so we'll see.

I own a Denon tuner and A/V preamp and amp. so I know of Denon quality.

I just was'nt famliar with the Denon pcdp's.

The units supposed to be in pretty good shape.

Thank you for your information, it helped me make up my mind.

V/R
Gary

Jan 27, 2003 at 1:32 AM Post #32 of 46
Quote:

Originally posted by GaryL
LamerDeluxe,

Will I am in the process of purchasing a Denon DCP-100 for
$110.00 plus Priority shipping, so we'll see.

I own a Denon tuner and A/V preamp and amp. so I know of Denon quality.

I just was'nt famliar with the Denon pcdp's.

The units supposed to be in pretty good shape.

Thank you for your information, it helped me make up my mind.

V/R
Gary

You're welcome
smily_headphones1.gif

And if you don't like it, you can always sell it for the same price.

My DCP-150 was like new, it came with the official bag, which looked used. But the DCP-150 looked like it just came out of the box, seriously, no trace of usage, the moment I touched it was the moment it started to look used. Really strange, as this wasn't mentioned in the auction and like I said the bag did look used.

I just bought a skippy Sony D-T66, don't know how rare it is, but it has a tuner and it's preset buttons can be used to select tracks as well. Got it for only $10 using 'buy it now'. There's a D-34, D-11 and D-2 as well.
That one has 8 times oversampling, I think it has two DACs, it has megabass as well. I wonder if it uses the PCM66 as well and how it will compare to my other discmans.

I'm looking forward to a comparison between the D-25s and the DCP-100 from you.

I also got an Akai PD-X73 (=Optimus 3400) from e-Bay, haven't received it yet. This should also make an interesting comparison to the D-25s, D-555 and DCP-150.

Jan 27, 2003 at 2:55 AM Post #34 of 46
Hi Puppyslugg,

I thought I would check it out, I don't think I would consider modifiying it.

Just maybe A-B the D-25S and DCP-100, I think
it will be interesting to see the results.

I to would like to find a cherry 150 like LamerDeluxe found. I can always sell the 100.

But in the mean time I got to find a decent headphone set.

I just ordered a SuperMini V5 + Booster and Fixups new AC Power Adapter for the SuperMini Amp.

Also in the process of ordering a Super Silver mini to mini I/C
from JMT.

I'm still interested in finding someone to do a mob on the D-25S.

So keep in touch it should prove interesting.

Gary

Jan 27, 2003 at 3:11 AM Post #35 of 46
Okay please forgive my dumb question, but what is A/B-ing a machine? I've read this countless times but have no clue what that means and how is it done...

By the way, the DDS from the D-555, isn't that the same thing as that some theatre uses?!? Well maybe not the same but similar?

Jan 27, 2003 at 3:23 AM Post #36 of 46
Quote:

Originally posted by krayzie
Okay please forgive my dumb question, but what is A/B-ing a machine? I've read this countless times but have no clue what that means and how is it done...

A/Bing is making a comparaison between two components, trying to keep everything else identical (music, source, cans, ic, ..)

Jan 27, 2003 at 3:50 AM Post #37 of 46
Hi krayzie,

A/B = A is the 1st deck and B is the 2nd deck, and basicly and for me I do mean basicly compare the sound performance between the two. Idealy your goal is to determine which of the two out performs the other in sound and possibly any other characteristic
you wish to compare under identical situations.

I don't understand your other question, DSS as I know it is a type of broadcasting of the TV signal. Like maybe Satellite broadcasting. I myself I have cable.

Well I hope this helps

Gary

Jan 27, 2003 at 1:20 PM Post #38 of 46
DDS, as far as I understood it is some kind of dynamics compression. I'm not sure if this means dynamics of volume, or amplifying harder to hear frequencies.
I think it was meant for being able to hear the music well at low volumes.

In theatres, you might mean DTS, Dolby Digital with surround. The surround mode on the d-555 is simply called 'surround' and only sounds reasonable at very low intensities.

Jan 27, 2003 at 6:32 PM Post #39 of 46
mekanoplastik-

PM me sometime, I'd like to see if I can get my D-25 modded to drive my Beyer 770s a little better.

(That is if your interested.)

OR If anyone else is interested I'd be willing to see what could be done with it.

Jan 27, 2003 at 10:24 PM Post #40 of 46
Haha when I typed the question about the Sony DDS thing I was sure you guys would think I got confused with Dolby Digital or DTS...

Well the story goes like this... I few years ago I was on a trip to the west coast and while driving along somewhere in California (probably somewhere in Los Angeles I forgot) and I went by this AMC theatre and there it advertised that it has Sony DDS as the featured sound technology in its cinema... then a few days ago I thought of the DDS sound setting on the D-555... so just wondering if it's the same thing... DDS should mean Dynamic Digital Sound or something I forgot... it's this rare type that you hardly see at cinemas...

Edit: or is it DSS I have no idea... any D-555 owners care to comment?

Jan 27, 2003 at 10:47 PM Post #41 of 46
It's indeed DDS, I didn't really notice the effect it made, unfortunately my D-555 has a broken headphone out and I don't have a headphone amp
frown.gif

Interesting that this theater had Sony DDS, sounds like it could indeed be the same thing.

Jan 27, 2003 at 11:30 PM Post #42 of 46
Okay here's the thing I saw that day in Cali... http://www.sdds.com/

Humm, I seriously think it came from the D-555... Sony isn't dumb enough to mess around with abbreviations like this...

Jan 27, 2003 at 11:39 PM Post #43 of 46
Hmm, reading the information there, it turns out it doesn't have anything to do with the d-555.

It's a multi-channel digital audio format for movies, much like DTS and THX. The audio is encoded in two visible matrices alongside every frame of the film.

Jan 28, 2003 at 5:43 AM Post #44 of 46
Hi krayzie & LamerDeluxe,

Boy I sure screwed up, I must of been half asleep, thinking DSS rather than DDS, for some reason I misunderstood your post and thought you were confusing something with Digitial Satellite Service. Like I said I didn't understand what you were referring to. By the time I realized I miss took DDS for DSS it was to late, I had already posted a response. I wouldn't of known what DDS stood for anyway.
Well I glad I straightened that out!!

I'm in the process of purchasing another PCDP a Sony D-303 from
mekanoplastik, it's supposed to be in pretty good shape. Again we''ll see, the D-303 is said to be a pretty good sounding player.

It should be interesting to compare it to the DCP-100 and the D-25S.

I still have to find some good headphones, I'll probably have to buy them new.

Anybody have any suggestions on whats considered a good or even better than good head set. Don't hesitate to speak up I'm all ears.

Thank you
Gary

Jan 28, 2003 at 5:54 AM Post #45 of 46
Quote:

It should be interesting to compare it to the DCP-100 and the D-25S

the main difference is that d-303 has a great bass (i use the middle megabass setting) compared with the d25....diferent kind of sound, not better not worst just different (IMHO) i like jazz with 303 because it is warmer and classical with 25 because it is fast and sharp....but those are MY tastes, my friend hated the d25 and said the vocals on d303 are amazing...but he was wrong...heheh...
rolleyes.gif

m.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back