Problem With D-25S Or Is It just Me?
Jan 25, 2003 at 10:15 PM Post #17 of 46
Actually after reading that paper, even knowing it's dated. It seems to me this deck is still a good canidate for tweaking.

Now I'm not a electronic engineer, it's just my uneducated guess that somebody knowledgeable could improve the sound threshold.

Maybe somebody like Dr. Fixup, the way he enjoys modifying those little Sony AM/FM radios.

Another good reason for tweaking is there seems to be quite a few still left on the market. So if it could be tweaked, it would'nt be just limited to the people that currently own them enjoying the modified version.

It's just a matter of finding someone willing to do the research and wanting to make some extra money modifying the D-25S.

Jan 25, 2003 at 10:49 PM Post #18 of 46
Quote:

Originally posted by puppyslugg
hadron posted this link for the PCM66:

http://quark.dsl.wisc.edu/audio/bb_pcm66p.pdf

Thanks for the information!

This will make nice comparison material between the DACs used in the D-10, D-25 etc./DCP-100 and DCP-150.

This information also confirms my previous remark about a single DAC. To have the left and right audio channels in phase, you need two DACs.

A so-called dual DAC will quickly switch between converting the left and the right channel and the resulting stereo image will be slightly out of phase. This probably explains the rotated soundstage that the D-25 is said to have and the D-555 with it's two PCM66's shouldn't be suffering from this problem.

I wonder if any more recent PCDP's have two DACs or if their stereo image is also out of phase...

Jan 25, 2003 at 11:05 PM Post #19 of 46
Quote:

Originally posted by LamerDeluxe (tm)
I wonder if any more recent PCDP's have two DACs or if their stereo image is also out of phase...

Good question. Dual DACs would be more ideal, but I think it's still possible to extract better perfomance out of the d25 with a few simple mods.

I look forward to your findings rearding which pcdp's has dual DACs, etc. The Denon 100/150 sounds better and better.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 25, 2003 at 11:42 PM Post #20 of 46
Quote:

Originally posted by puppyslugg
Good question. Dual DACs would be more ideal, but I think it's still possible to extract better perfomance out of the d25 with a few simple mods.

Absolutely. People here already showed that.

Quote:

I look forward to your findings rearding which pcdp's has dual DACs, etc. The Denon 100/150 sounds better and better.
smily_headphones1.gif

Yes, the Denons are quite good. The Denon 100 uses two of the same DACs as the D-25/D-555 etc. The D-555 also uses two of those. The DCP-150 uses two 18-bit DACs. I'm still not convinced by the headphone out of my Denon, but maybe I need a better headphone. The line-out is simply in another league.

It would indeed be very interesting to find out which of the more recent PCDPs is using two DACs, or if current DACs actually use two of them in one chip, instead of multiplexing a single one.

Jan 26, 2003 at 1:43 AM Post #23 of 46
So maybe it's controlling servo-tracking/error-correction or something?

Jan 26, 2003 at 1:52 AM Post #25 of 46
So it still could be error-correction then?

Jan 26, 2003 at 4:04 AM Post #26 of 46
You guys are talking way over my head, but thats ok maybe somebody will decide to play around with it and see what can be done to improve on it.

I'm still up for buying another unit and donating it for the cause of upgrading.

Gary

Jan 26, 2003 at 12:29 PM Post #28 of 46
Mekanoplastik is on the job
wink.gif

Jan 26, 2003 at 8:17 PM Post #29 of 46
LamerDeluxe,

I know you like the Denon DCP-150, what is your opinion of the DCP-100. I know it does'nt have two 18 Bit DACs, but it may have two 16 Bit DACs.

Please tell me tell me what you think, I'm considering purchasing
one.

That way I can A-B the D-25S and DCP-100.

Thank You

Gary

Jan 26, 2003 at 8:49 PM Post #30 of 46
Quote:

Originally posted by GaryL
LamerDeluxe,

I know you like the Denon DCP-150, what is your opinion of the DCP-100. I know it does'nt have two 18 Bit DACs, but it may have two 16 Bit DACs.

Please tell me tell me what you think, I'm considering purchasing
one.

That way I can A-B the D-25S and DCP-100.

Thank You

Gary

I don't have a DCP-100 myself, but I know it uses the PCM66 DAC. So that's the same one as in the D25s and the D-555 which uses two of them.

I don't know for sure, but I'm totally expecting it to have two DACs, it is said to sound better than the D-555. I does 8 times oversampling, while the D25s does 4 times.
I doesn't have digital-out, but it does have line-out.

It has almost the same casing as the DCP-150, which means it's a bit bulky, but built to survive nuclear explosions, extremely sturdy die-cast metal with a rough texture. I can use two BP2ex battery packs at the same time and charge both of them as well.

Do a search on DCP-100 at this forum for some more info. Some members, like Yang for instance, have one.

I don't think you can go wrong with a Denon Discman. So if the price isn't insane, go for it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back