Problem with Bifrost, Headphone sound better straight out of cell phone?
Oct 3, 2012 at 5:17 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

ebjred

Previously known as wredj10
Have a problem with the Bifrost, I am getting better sound from straight out of a cellphone.

I noticed the problem when tried with an amp so I tried an rca to 3.5mm adapter and the sound was noticeably worse. (The sound was similar to if I eq'd the bass and treble all the way down)

I have also tried different toslink cable, and getting the same sound.

Is there a way to fix this problem? Also, when using the rca to 3.5mm adapter is the sound normal if it sounds similar to eq'ing the bass and treble down?

Oct 3, 2012 at 5:38 AM Post #3 of 19
I have run the headphones both with an amp and straight out of the bifrost. In both cases the sound is worse than straight out of a cellphone. When using the bifrost without an amp, the bifrost sound like bass and treble have been eq'd all the way down.With an amp, the bifrost slightly more normal, but still sounds worse than from straight out of a cellphone.

Oct 3, 2012 at 7:15 AM Post #6 of 19
What amp? I'm not surprised it was terrible with the line outs of the Bifrost, that's just wrong.

Oct 3, 2012 at 7:56 AM Post #9 of 19
With what sources are you using the Bifrost? If it's a PC/Mac, check the EQ settings on your music player and try the Bifrost with a different source like your TV (most recent TVs have at least one opto out). Oh, and obv use an amp, never run hps straight out of a line level or you could damage the DAC (well, the Bifrost has a really low output impedance so it should be safe, however even if you can hook your cans to the DAC safely, it doesn't mean you should do it).

Oct 3, 2012 at 10:29 PM Post #11 of 19
Send that Schiit back to Schiit and let them sort it out.

Oct 4, 2012 at 10:39 AM Post #12 of 19
What files are you using? Make sure you not using compressed 128kbps files, then it will sound like garbage. Other than that, send the Bifrost back to Schiit, they have great customer service.

Thomas

Oct 4, 2012 at 11:53 AM Post #14 of 19
Oct 4, 2012 at 2:24 PM Post #15 of 19
Most of files are 192 to flac, and Bifrost is used, probably can't send back to Schitt. From e-mail's with Schitt, they that the Bifrost is probably normal. Will listen to the Bifrost and compare with some other dac / amps, and might put back on the market if I prefer these other dac / amps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back