Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 Digital Impression Thread
Jun 30, 2020 at 11:00 AM Post #706 of 777
I needed a new desktop dac/amp for my Tralucent IEMs, I was deciding between this and RME ADI-2.

I took my IEMs in-store and demoed both, the RME sounded very good but felt the Project Box took my IEMs to their performance ceiling and the RME didn't extract any more from them. The RME also showed slightly more vocal sibilance which my IEMs are sensitive with. I have also tried RME with HD800s, it sounded very good so this is just a synergy thing between my IEMs and the Project Box.

I ended up saving a heap of money and walked out with one.

I did not see anything about MQA, did I miss it on the RME website? Of course, you may not care about MQA, that's ok.

Jul 1, 2020 at 10:43 AM Post #708 of 777
I did not see anything about MQA, did I miss it on the RME website? Of course, you may not care about MQA, that's ok.

RME does not support MQA. However high rate DSD and PCM sound incredible out of the RME.

Anyway, the RME has some extra circuitry for IEMs and is maybe the only DAC that does. If somebody doesn't like how it sounds on their IEMs I would suspect setup issues before I would conclude the RME was sibilant, etc. The RME can be fiddly to set up, because of how flexible it is.

Aug 11, 2020 at 11:50 PM Post #709 of 777
My Box S2 is running firmware 2.10 (think its an earlier mode).

it remembers the filter setting on reboot but doesn't remember distortion compensate.

Did a later firmware fix this problem, worth updating it?

Aug 13, 2020 at 1:02 AM Post #711 of 777
I updated the firmware from 2.10 to 2.12 and it did not correct the problem, what it did however IMO was change the sound for the worse making it more laid back and missing some detail aggression. I spent all last night searching for the 2.10 firmware to rollback with no luck sending messages to the designer through different websites and contacting all the regulars in this thread. Luckily I got hold of a beta 2.11 firmware which restored the orginal sound best I can tell.

Sep 2, 2020 at 2:39 AM Post #712 of 777
Impression: Everything I like from my KANN Cube in terms of resolution and detail is here. Same chipset family anyway. I do enjoy MQA out of TIDAL and find it pleasant, which is why I have these two gizmos for headphone listening. DSD support is appreciated as 0.00001% of my collection is DSD and I wanted to try DSD512 :)

The headphone output is good, not great. It’s a little warm, veiled, and not particularly clean. Paired with a competent headphone amp (such as Jotunheim), the dac does what it does best and off you go.

This is a buzzword-compliant DAC that produces enjoyable, detailed, and well-separated music. Roon likes it. It’s unbelievably small. And yes, it’s fun.

Oct 20, 2020 at 12:37 PM Post #714 of 777
I've just ordered this DAC, anyone know the length of the power supply cable?

If you are playing it from a laptop or pc via USB you do not need any other power cord. But the dac comes without USB cable.

Oct 20, 2020 at 12:46 PM Post #715 of 777
Anyway, the power cord measures no more than 120cm.

Nov 18, 2020 at 3:05 PM Post #719 of 777
My second failure!! My first Pre Box S2 suffered a failure of the 5v Micro USB port apparently due to a poor solder joint. When removing the power cord, the entire socket came out with the plug. It was replaced under warranty by my seller but unfortunately, my replacement unit has now experienced the exact same failure! I have always been very careful when inserting and removing the plug and, in fact, had been using a short pigtail adapter to avoid multiple plug and unplugs from the Pre Box itself.

Given that this has happened to me with 2 different devices, I suspect a design fault resulting in weak socket solder joints.

I think I will attempt to DIY a permanent pigtail soldered directly to the circuit board if I can successfully figure out the proper connections cable to board.

While I very much enjoyed the audio performance of the Pre Box, I will be reluctant to recommend the it to others based on my experiences with the build quality!

EDIT:
After removing the board and front cover from the case, I don't see a way to remove the circuit board from the bottom housing in order to get suitable access to the USB socket traces. Any suggestions would be appreciated!
EDIT 2
I give up! I was able to disassemble and remove the board however.... Short of acquiring a new circuit board, I found it impossible to successfully reattach the USB socket. One Pre Box to the graveyard!

Last edited:
Nov 18, 2020 at 5:52 PM Post #720 of 777
Given that this has happened to me with 2 different devices, I suspect a design fault resulting in weak socket solder joints.

I thought they fixed that a long time ago. The first production run did not have that problem, but a later one did. Are the serial numbers close together? Maybe they're from the same bad batch.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back