Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 Digital Impression Thread
Jul 16, 2018 at 1:29 AM Post #421 of 777
Could you please post a link to the specific power supply that you recommend?
Sure...
https://www.ebay.com/itm/TeraDak-U9...adak+5v+1a&_from=R40&rt=nc&_trksid=m570.l1313

I'm using it with premium cables- Pangea AC-14 power cable and Premier XL USB cable (both available from Audio Advisor), which has split signal and power cables. I am running the power half using the USB connection of the TeraDak; the signal half goes from laptop USB out to the S2 Box USB in. To test the effect of the TeraDak, I move the power half of the cable back and forth between the TeraDak and another USB port on the laptop.

Improvement from adding the TeraDak is most evident in the bottom end. Bass is noticeably tighter, has more depth, and more definition. As for the rest of the sound, it is more subtle, to the point where I'm not sure if I'm imagining improvements or not. It is possible that using the unit removes a bit of veiling to the overall sound--making the timbre and delineation of instruments more clear. Like cleaning a slightly dirty window, you might say.

The Pro-ject Box S2 (with or without power supply upgrade) does not have a laid back sound-- it is quite detailed and has good snap and leading edge transients. But not harsh or fatiguing at all. I move mine back and forth between my headphone setup with laptop (using either Sennheiser HD580 or Beyer Amiron Home), and as an external DAC for my main stereo with a digital out from a Cambridge Audio 740C CD player. It is a very noticeable and satisfying upgrade from the decent but dated Wolfson DAC in the CA player. I think the Pro-Ject S2 is a great value.
Overall, I am pleased with the purchase.

Jul 23, 2018 at 12:27 PM Post #422 of 777
Tested Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 Digital

Headphone amplifier (or as a headphone amplifier)
Simple test report for "dummies"
Professional test report

Linear outputs (or as a linear outputs)
Professional tests report:
Fast Rolloff
Hybrid Filter
Linear Apodizing
Minimum Phase Fast
Minimum Phase Slow
Optimal transient

Optimal transient worked as NOS mode (Non Over Sampling) for R2R. Impulse responce is best. Sine/Triangle wavefom is poor.

Fast Rolloff
Pro-Ject_Pre%20Box%20S2%20Digital%20Fast%20Rolloff_Left_-_-_-_-_-_1ms_-_imp_wave.png

Pro-Ject_Pre%20Box%20S2%20Digital%20Fast%20Rolloff_Left_-_-_-_sine1_-_2ms_-_waveform.png

Pro-Ject_Pre%20Box%20S2%20Digital%20Fast%20Rolloff_Left_-_-_-_sine5_-_2ms_-_waveform.png

Optimal transient
Pro-Ject_Pre%20Box%20S2%20Digital%20Optimal%20transient_Left_-_-_-_-_-_1ms_-_imp_wave.png

Pro-Ject_Pre%20Box%20S2%20Digital%20Optimal%20transient_Left_-_-_-_sine1_-_2ms_-_waveform.png

Pro-Ject_Pre%20Box%20S2%20Digital%20Optimal%20transient_Left_-_-_-_sine5_-_2ms_-_waveform.png

On-line comparison services with Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 Digital

Comparison of change the frequency response of joint work of Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 Digital with different headphones

Comparison of amplifier voltage and headphone sensitivity for optimal sound playing

Comparison of voltage graphs

Comparison of characteristics

Volume comparison

Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 Digital included in list for headphones match to headphones for certain listening conditions

Aug 15, 2018 at 7:55 PM Post #424 of 777
Just recieved my Head box s2 Digital today. I power it with a Wireworld Ultraviolet 7 USB 2.0 A-B cable direct to my PC/MAC, without other power source.
So far, I must say that I am pretty impresse with how it sound for the price (€275). need more time to play with it. :)
KI5vaNc.jpg

Last edited:
Sep 3, 2018 at 12:34 AM Post #425 of 777
Any S2D owner use their unit with a Mac? I am interested in getting one of these replace my Arcam irDAC, but want to find out if it will work with the volume control key(using the keyboard to adjust volume). Does the volume control key work on S2D?

I know some Schitt DACs does not work with the volume control on Mac, it will just show that volume is not adjustable.

Sep 3, 2018 at 8:00 PM Post #426 of 777
Any S2D owner use their unit with a Mac? I am interested in getting one of these replace my Arcam irDAC, but want to find out if it will work with the volume control key(using the keyboard to adjust volume). Does the volume control key work on S2D?

I know some Schitt DACs does not work with the volume control on Mac, it will just show that volume is not adjustable.
It works perfectly, but i always have that on max anyway.
i5yF64F.jpg

Sep 3, 2018 at 11:43 PM Post #427 of 777
Just recieved my Head box s2 Digital today. I power it with a Wireworld Ultraviolet 7 USB 2.0 A-B cable direct to my PC/MAC, without other power source.
So far, I must say that I am pretty impresse with how it sound for the price (€275). need more time to play with it. :)
<image>

It works perfectly, but i always have that on max anyway.
<image>

@eshiku notice that @Kris Ishii always has the source volume on max? Most of us do, especially if we're using the S2D's MQA feature.

@Kris Ishii thanks for the great photo and screen shot, but just to be clear: this thread and the volume question are about the Pre Box S2 Digital, not the Head Box S2 Digital. The two products likely behave the same with Macs, but just to be safe I hope we'll also hear from Pre Box S2D owners. And maybe you'd like to start a new thread on the Head Box S2D?

Last edited:
Sep 11, 2018 at 4:48 PM Post #428 of 777
@eshiku notice that @Kris Ishii always has the source volume on max? Most of us do, especially if we're using the S2D's MQA feature.

@Kris Ishii thanks for the great photo and screen shot, but just to be clear: this thread and the volume question are about the Pre Box S2 Digital, not the Head Box S2 Digital. The two products likely behave the same with Macs, but just to be safe I hope we'll also hear from Pre Box S2D owners. And maybe you'd like to start a new thread on the Head Box S2D?
I'm new here, dont know how to start a new thread :p
And yes, I can confirm that both pre box s2d and headbox s2d work the same on macs. I have tested it in the shop (also the old headbox ds).

Sep 28, 2018 at 12:14 PM Post #430 of 777
How powerfull is the Pre Box S2 Digital for headphone amplification in comparison to the ifi idsd micro ?

The S2D's headphone amp supplies 68 mW at 32Ω and 6.6 mW at 600Ω. That's a tiny fraction of what the iFi micro iDSD offers. Your results will depend on how power-hungry your headphones are, and of course your ears. I tend to listen quietly, and am OK with the power levels. Many a metal head would disagree. :)

Oct 14, 2018 at 5:23 AM Post #431 of 777
@Left Channel , a little help maybe? I just purchased the S2D and I love the sound!! I'm not 100% sold on MQA yet but I like to have the option of listening to it. I have set it up using the advice from the Google Drive doc that you referred to but I can't get MQA from Tidal unless I access it through Audirvana Plus. The problem, I think, is that when I am in the Tidal desktop app, I don't see the option to select all three of "Use Exclusive Mode" and "Force Volume" and "Passthrough MQA", nor do I see the option to choose WASAPI or ASIO.

Any advice?

Oct 14, 2018 at 11:48 AM Post #432 of 777
@Left Channel , a little help maybe? I just purchased the S2D and I love the sound!! I'm not 100% sold on MQA yet but I like to have the option of listening to it. I have set it up using the advice from the Google Drive doc that you referred to but I can't get MQA from Tidal unless I access it through Audirvana Plus. The problem, I think, is that when I am in the Tidal desktop app, I don't see the option to select all three of "Use Exclusive Mode" and "Force Volume" and "Passthrough MQA", nor do I see the option to choose WASAPI or ASIO.

Any advice?

The location of those settings has become a little different since @Mark Dirac compiled that doc, but they are all still there. You have found your way to the streaming settings, yes? Go back there and then I'll tell you the secret.

Set the streaming audio quality to "Master" of course, but also click in one more place to reveal a hidden control panel: next to "Sound Output" click on "(More settings)". Then you'll see "Use Exclusive Mode", "Force volume", and "Passthrough MQA".

That is terrible user interface design, but at least we found it. Those settings may reset from time-to-time, for example if the app can't find your DAC, or if discovers the DAC is already claimed by another app, or after some updates. It's worth going back in to check on those settings occasionally.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back