Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 Digital Impression Thread
May 1, 2018 at 10:40 AM Post #408 of 777
Ah my ask is whether this DA's firmware has worked well with MQA or not.

I've never had a problem with it, but there is an MQA-related filter bug. Per MQA requirements, filters are automatically disabled while an MQA track is played. The problem is that if the filter is set to Optimal Transient, that filter will not reengage properly after an MQA track and the sound of a standard track will be thin and weak. The interim solution is (a) do not use the Optimal Transient filter, or (b) change the filter to the next one or all the way around to Optimal Transient again. We're awaiting a firmware update for this. I prefer the Fast Roll-off filter so I don't experience the problem myself.

Some users report more mid-stream MQA dropouts than with other DACs. I have not experienced that since the 2.12 firmware update and a Tidal update that came out around the same time.

@Mark Dirac has put together a summary of information from these forum threads on the S2D, and posted it as a Google Doc here: https://goo.gl/LbevA6

May 6, 2018 at 1:19 AM Post #410 of 777
@buonassi I bought the S2D to see what I might be missing in MQA and DSD. There were no deficiencies in my Schiit Modi 2U. Unlike the S2D, the Modi has no firmware bugs or manufacturing defects.

I prefer the sound of the Modi, and I've mostly gone back to it. For a larger system I've since purchased another AKM-based DAC, the NuPrime DAC-9. I like the smooth AKM "velvet sound". I also tend to prefer warm-sounding amps.

You may prefer the exact opposite. The sound of the S2D DAC and amp is neutral, crisp, and "resolving", but I prefer a warmer sound with even harmonics. It's been a fun project though.

May 6, 2018 at 7:43 PM Post #411 of 777
Thx for sharing. good to know there's no lack of resolving power in the S2D. I'm not into MQA, as of yet, and have DSD capability already. I do think there's something to upsampling PCM > DSD, or DSD in general. My goal has been to coax out as much detail as possible from 44.1/16, so I guess you'd count me among the analytical sound seekers (for now). I'm just not convinced there's a lot more to be gained past my iDAC2. But I probably won't be able to restrain myself from trying (because the sabre chip sound description intrigues me). Such is the plight of an audiophile.

Jun 5, 2018 at 3:39 AM Post #413 of 777
I am presently torn between the Pro ject Pre Box S2 and the iFi xDSD. Any input regarding these two? Thanks.

i have S2 and nanoDSD. BB chips have worse THD and dynamic range. xDSD has DSD1793, which according iFi "delivers a realistic, musical sound", what actually means introduces a bit colour. so, it depends on your musical preferences, since technically both are pretty advanced. personally I like and listen S2 more.

Jul 5, 2018 at 9:28 PM Post #414 of 777
i have S2 and nanoDSD. BB chips have worse THD and dynamic range. xDSD has DSD1793, which according iFi "delivers a realistic, musical sound", what actually means introduces a bit colour. so, it depends on your musical preferences, since technically both are pretty advanced. personally I like and listen S2 more.
I had the xDSD for about a month. Returned it later on because it makes my music sound warm and bassy. It was also plagued with bluetooth and battery drain issues. Its a shame because my first iFi product was the iDAC2 and I was looking forward for another iFi product. Anyway I'm now turning attention to this beauty (Pre-Box S2) for my next potential replacement on PC desktop rig.

Speaking of which is a USB 'power filtering' product necessary when my high end motherboard has 'clean USB power feature'.

Jul 6, 2018 at 11:45 AM Post #415 of 777
I had the xDSD for about a month. Returned it later on because it makes my music sound warm and bassy. It was also plagued with bluetooth and battery drain issues. Its a shame because my first iFi product was the iDAC2 and I was looking forward for another iFi product. Anyway I'm now turning attention to this beauty (Pre-Box S2) for my next potential replacement on PC desktop rig.

Speaking of which is a USB 'power filtering' product necessary when my high end motherboard has 'clean USB power feature'.
I’ve been wondering the same. My PC is in a large-ish case, and includes a high-end Asrock board with clean, even power supply, and good port isolation. It’s actually touted as a hi-fi board, with gold-plated audio connectors, dedicated audio parts in addition to the sound chip, and isolation from electric noise, but it’s still far from a dedicated Dac/amp or my LG V30.

I hear no background noise at all through USB for what it’s worth. I’m thinking the USB cleaners are more important for laptops or small, dense towers.

Jul 7, 2018 at 12:43 AM Post #416 of 777
I’ve been wondering the same. My PC is in a large-ish case, and includes a high-end Asrock board with clean, even power supply, and good port isolation. It’s actually touted as a hi-fi board, with gold-plated audio connectors, dedicated audio parts in addition to the sound chip, and isolation from electric noise, but it’s still far from a dedicated Dac/amp or my LG V30.

I hear no background noise at all through USB for what it’s worth. I’m thinking the USB cleaners are more important for laptops or small, dense towers.

I guess that must be it. I'm using a very good high-end PSU as well. Checked the electronic circuits on review sites and the model I have chosen checks out. I am also thinking those purification products are for homes with old/noisy electrical power lines. I know some PC components generates high frequency, harmonics and distortion so I am interested to find out from like-minded Headfiers what they think.

Jul 9, 2018 at 12:12 PM Post #417 of 777
I'm dying to get the Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 Digital...I just have to finish saving up the money!

I don't have any DSD or high res files but I stream a lot through Tidal and I do generally like MQA. I only have an AQ Dragonfly Red and a Schiit Modi that was loaned to me for a weekend as reference but the specs to price ratio is off the chart.

Jul 15, 2018 at 8:03 PM Post #419 of 777

A better quality linear DC power supply is the TeraDak. More than a wall wart with better capacitors for a quieter background. But it does run pretty hot too the touch. Pair it with a high quality power cable and it will make a difference.

By the way, I have tested using the Pre Box S2 with and without the Audioquest Jitterbug, and was unable to discern a difference. I think the DAC itself has pretty solid anti-jitter circuitry.

Jul 15, 2018 at 10:17 PM Post #420 of 777
A better quality linear DC power supply is the TeraDak. More than a wall wart with better capacitors for a quieter background. But it does run pretty hot too the touch. Pair it with a high quality power cable and it will make a difference.

By the way, I have tested using the Pre Box S2 with and without the Audioquest Jitterbug, and was unable to discern a difference. I think the DAC itself has pretty solid anti-jitter circuitry.
Could you please post a link to the specific power supply that you recommend?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back