Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 Digital Impression Thread
Aug 18, 2017 at 5:41 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 777

onsionsi

100+ Head-Fier
This DAC\AMP should be a contender to many high-level DAC\AMP in a market now, many reviews praised its performance with a bargain price

Take a look for hereunder hyperlink for more information:

http://www.box-designs.com/main.php?prod=preboxs2digital&cat=s2-line&lang=en

Main specs from Pro-Ject infosheet:

• Dual mono construction

• High end ESS Sabre ESS9038 dual DAC

• Proprietary clock circuity design

• Organic polymer capacitors and thin film miniMELF resistors

• MQA hardware decoding

• DSD64, DSD128, DSD256 & DSD512 (DSD over PCM)

• Up to 24bit/192kHz for optical & coax inputs

• 7 selectable digital filter characteristics

• 1 proprietary optimum transient digital filter

• Headphone output on the front (6.3mm)

• Synchronization of all internal oscillators

• Jitter as low as 100 Femtoseconds!

• Gold plated four layer PCB

• Full alu/metal sandwich casing in silver or black

SRP: € 349,00

It has won the EISA AWARDS 2017/2018 in the Hi -Fi Expert Group:

https://www.eisa.eu/awards/pro-ject-pre-box-s2-digital/

"This petite box shows that – in the world of digital audio – less can be more. Its long list of features includes full preamp functionality and the latest ESS Sabre DACs running in dual mono configuration. So it handles everything from DSD512 to 768kHz/32-bit PCM music media and will even recognize and decode MQA files. High quality passive components, an integrated headphone amplifier and a host of digital filter options complete the big picture. With an open and expressive nature, and supreme versatility, the Pre Box S2 Digital sounds bigger and bolder than it looks – making it great affordable hi-fi."

Aug 19, 2017 at 2:07 PM Post #3 of 777
Thanks for starting this thread! I was discussing this new Pro-Ject box elsewhere only a few days ago:
The Pro-Ject D2 Digital would hit just the right "sweet spot" for me in price and features for an objective listening comparison, and as an added bonus it's a desktop and portable device.

The USB filtering and reclocking feature is interesting too. Right now I have an UpTone Audio USB REGEN between my laptop and DAC. Not a very portable solution, but it does a good job of cleaning up the signal. The REGEN also replaces the USB power with cleaner power from a linear supply, if the DAC uses that. But maybe the D2 won't need any of that.

Aug 19, 2017 at 3:26 PM Post #5 of 777
Not sure what the specs mean about DSD. Are they saying it does DSD 64 thru 512 and also does DSD via PCM? Or are they saying all DSD is converted to PCM? Does this record and play native DSD?

Also it says optical and coax input handle up to 192/24. So 768/32 is handled only via USB? Just trying to sort this all out in my head.

Aug 19, 2017 at 3:33 PM Post #7 of 777
Not sure what the specs mean about DSD. Are they saying it does DSD 64 thru 512 and also does DSD via PCM? Or are they saying all DSD is converted to PCM? Does this record and play native DSD?

Also it says optical and coax input handle up to 192/24. So 768/32 is handled only via USB? Just trying to sort this all out in my head.

I think they mean what you said exactly DOP, i will try to contact their customer support and asking them for further explanation.

Aug 19, 2017 at 3:39 PM Post #8 of 777

I think it implies converted to pcm?
And also 768/32 via usb.?
I have tried to download manual a couple of times but doesn't download, there are a couple of Utube vids that might enlighten but i haven't watched yet.

Aug 19, 2017 at 3:47 PM Post #9 of 777
"Posted this already on another thread".
Snvynl.co.uk have it...but dont know the company and I think possibly eBay UK.

me too, i haven't any idea about this company but what is quite interesting thing is that it can be shipped from 7days - 21 days

By the way, it will be better to buy it from you local dealer if they exist.

Aug 19, 2017 at 3:51 PM Post #10 of 777
me too, i haven't any idea about this company but what is quite interesting thing is that it can be shipped from 7days - 21 days

By the way, it will be better to buy it from you local dealer if they exist.

I'm in the UK so il do some research on the company, give them a call in the week and post on here if anyone's interested.

Aug 19, 2017 at 3:51 PM Post #11 of 777
I think it implies converted to pcm?
And also 768/32 via usb.?
I have tried to download manual a couple of times but doesn't download, there are a couple of Utube vids that might enlighten but i haven't watched yet.

Here is the Manual and Computer Configuration.

@barondla the computer configuration shows that we have to select DOP

Attachments

• manual_preboxs2digital.pdf
    681.7 KB · Views: 0
  • PJ-BD&DSD-Pi-260314-EN (Computer Configuration).pdf
    652.5 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Aug 19, 2017 at 4:06 PM Post #15 of 777
I'm eager to know your opinion if you will buy it and give us some comparison to your Mojo as well.

Well I'm still looking at the moment ..I came across this a few weeks ago as im building a desk top setup and posted on another thread as I thought it looked pretty high spec for the money , but as you can see there's not much our there on it.
Think il do some more digging before I commit but it is very promising.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back