Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 Digital Impression Thread
Aug 28, 2017 at 2:08 PM Post #34 of 777
Sep 4, 2017 at 6:20 PM Post #36 of 777
Sep 4, 2017 at 7:39 PM Post #38 of 777
The picture that he put in there was not of the Black ???

Unless the black label comes in silver as well.

But I liked the review. Unfortunately I have no current use for MQA. If the format takes off, well things could change on that. I can't justify the cost of Tidal with the amount of time I have to listen.
I am still thinking seriously about picking up one when they are available in the US.

Sep 5, 2017 at 5:57 AM Post #40 of 777
Portugese is not a language I read well.
The only thing I understood in the comparison between H2 and the Project was that H2 is 5 times as expensive and is more powerful.
What about SQ?

He didn't mention in deeply a difference between them.

But i see from his review for both DAC's that HEK v2 is lacking a bass.

Best things we have to wait till it will go down to consumers and see their feedback.

Sep 5, 2017 at 8:16 AM Post #41 of 777
He didn't mention in deeply a difference between them.

But i see from his review for both DAC's that HEK v2 is lacking a bass.

Best things we have to wait till it will go down to consumers and see their feedback.

Or listen yourself.But I suspect that with my HUGO sounding a bit lean via my HEKV2 the even lower powered Project will probably need to be connected to a separate headphone amp to perform optimally with the HEKV2.
The headphones themselves are NOT weak in the bass.
Cheers Christer

Sep 5, 2017 at 8:40 AM Post #42 of 777
Or listen yourself.But I suspect that with my HUGO sounding a bit lean via my HEKV2 the even lower powered Project will probably need to be connected to a separate headphone amp to perform optimally with the HEKV2.
The headphones themselves are NOT weak in the bass.
Cheers Christer

Yes i'm totally agreed with you.

Sure HEK needs a separate amp to perform optimally like HeadTrip, MHA100, Well Audio, this is upon of audiophiles recommendations in this forum.

Sep 5, 2017 at 11:21 AM Post #43 of 777
Portugese is not a language I read well.
The only thing I understood in the comparison between H2 and the Project was that H2 is 5 times as expensive and is more powerful.
What about SQ?

Pretty much as you have been discussing, Google Translate tells me the author allows that this box is not the best in terms of "absolute SQ", nor would he expect it to be against competitors five times more expensive like the Hugo 2, but the Pro-Ject "is the most complete" of the units he tested for the article. Most complete feature set I guess.

And as you mentioned the only specific issue he gets into while comparing the two is that Hugo 2 has much more power. Testing with a Hifiman HE1000, to get the same volume he needed to have Pro-Ject box cranked almost to maximum, and says that for cans like those he might add something like the Digital Head Box S2 as an amp.

In my case that would mean instead of replacing my Modi 2U and Magni 2U, it would only replace the Modi and then be connected from its RCA output to the Magni input. Somehow I doubt it will remain permanently in place of the Modi.

Sep 5, 2017 at 2:25 PM Post #44 of 777
If/when I purchase this, my intent would be to use it for its DAC only. This is where its capabilities shine. The headphone amp is almost like an afterthought. Something nice to have, but not the main feature.

Sep 5, 2017 at 3:15 PM Post #45 of 777
Speaking of purchasing, I just got an email from my local dealer. Their distributor says US pricing is not yet set, and availability is "late fall". The dealer also checked with another distribution group but got a price estimate so high I figure (hope) they were looking at the wrong item, so I won't repeat that here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back