Pro-ject Headbox II: First impressions
Feb 12, 2012 at 6:49 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

ThomDP

New Head-Fier
I picked up a Pro-ject Headbox II to use with my HD600's and SR60's. Can the sound really be this bad? The amp is so bright and colored. Is there an recommended breakin for this amp? I've been running the amp for a few days now and the sound of it has not changed?

I'm not trolling and I understand that the Headbox is a budget unit, but c'mon.

Thanks
Dennis

Feb 13, 2012 at 1:39 PM Post #2 of 9
How is it colored?  Just too forward?  I know when you get used to a certain sound signature, something that's a lot different will make you crazy.  Maybe that's what your issue is...

Feb 13, 2012 at 4:02 PM Post #3 of 9
I used a Head Box Mk II for about 6 months and used 3 very different headphones with it. Sennheiser HD-555's, AKG K702's, and Beyer DT880's. I think this amp's real problem is poor bass control and that crappy potentiometer. I'd hear scratching when the volume was changed and, below 10 o'clock, one channel would decrease in volume faster than the other.

Feb 13, 2012 at 11:38 PM Post #4 of 9
I haven't heard anything out of this amp that sounds natural. There is very little seperation of instruments and voices. Details are glossed over and veiled. Everything has a bright sheen over it. There is no transparency to the sound. The bass control, especially the midbass is lacking.

Through this amp the Grado 60's do sound better to my ear than the HD600's. And yes, it does it sound better than the headphone output on my two channel HK amp, but for critical listening it really disappoints.

I haven't had any problems yet with channel balance.

I would like to try an amp that was voiced with the HD600's, inparticular the Shiit Asgard.

My HD600's have been sitting in storage unused for about five years since I sold an OBH10 in favor of an old 70's Pioneer amp. When the amp blew and money got tight I picked up a pair of Grado 60's. In the past five years I have really grown to love the Grado sound and their ease of drive and plug and play capability makes them a superb headphone. I swear that they keep getting better over time. But I haven't given up on the HD600's and wanted to pair them up with something decent to see if I can get that old magic back.

Feb 14, 2012 at 3:51 AM Post #5 of 9
I had a headbox for my first amp, got it because it was the only thing the local dealer had and I needed something fast. Huge mistake. I have no idea how pro-ject managed to come up with a product that sounds so bad.

If you want an inexpensive amp that actually sounds quite good get an Objective 2 from JDS labs. I'm using one with my HD800s while my Decware tube amp is in for service. It's definitely a solid state kind of sound but extremely quiet, detailed and surprisingly transparent which for a $150 amp is really quite an achievement.

Feb 14, 2012 at 9:57 AM Post #6 of 9
I had a headbox for my first amp, got it because it was the only thing the local dealer had and I needed something fast. Huge mistake. I have no idea how pro-ject managed to come up with a product that sounds so bad.

If you want an inexpensive amp that actually sounds quite good get an Objective 2 from JDS labs. I'm using one with my HD800s while my Decware tube amp is in for service. It's definitely a solid state kind of sound but extremely quiet, detailed and surprisingly transparent which for a $150 amp is really quite an achievement.

Considering the price of the Pro-Ject ($100-150) at retail, I'd suggest going Chinese with a Zero DAC or Audio-GD NFB 12.1 or Little Dot MK II. All three options cost a little more.

Feb 15, 2012 at 1:28 PM Post #7 of 9
I got the Project and Audio GD NFB 12.
The Project is a best amp than audio GD with both HD800 et Sony Z1000.
Both amps are not very good, but kinda low cost.

I'll get iBasso D7 and Audio GD Master 5 soon, I'll post a review.

Jul 29, 2016 at 4:01 AM Post #9 of 9
Snob, if you wanted what you seem to have wanted. You should have spent at least another $500 US for what you or anyone else paid for them. This little things are very good! 
deadhorse.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back