Pro-ject CD Box RS, any thoughts?
Jun 28, 2019 at 12:39 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Breguet

New Head-Fier
Hi guys, this is my very first post on head-fi.

First a brief introduction of my background: I became an audiophile 2014 when i first started with my AKG K702 and a Cambridge DAC Magic + a DIY Amp. Later because of moving, I sold all my equips and last year I picked up this hobby again.

During the past 12 months, i spent $$$$$ on different devices and tried a lot portable stuff (Chord Hugo, Mass-kobo 404, Woo Audio WA8, ie800, k3003, shure 846 and etc.) But now my main system is desktop based: iFi pro idsd + HDVD800 + HD800. But what i'm using for source is a portable device that has optical out. (which is the weakness of this system).

As i have a small CD collection (slightly above 100 pcs), I'm thinking of a CDT or CDP around $500, now one of my choice is a used Pro-ject CD BOX RS, but I know nothing about it and almost cannot find any reviews about it. Does anyone have it and give some information? Any other suggestions are welcomed, thanks!

Jun 28, 2019 at 12:55 PM Post #2 of 6
I have not used the CD Box RS, but I did recently add the Phono Box RS and Pre Box RS to my setup and have loved the Box RS series. I am no expert on CD transports, but the phono box greatly increased the soundstage, detail, and imaging of my vinyl, granted it was a pretty big upgrade over the Schiit Mani I was using previously. I found both components to be really transparent and just elevate whatever source I am pushing through them.

Jun 28, 2019 at 1:12 PM Post #3 of 6

I have not used the CD Box RS, but I did recently add the Phono Box RS and Pre Box RS to my setup and have loved the Box RS series. I am no expert on CD transports, but the phono box greatly increased the soundstage, detail, and imaging of my vinyl, granted it was a pretty big upgrade over the Schiit Mani I was using previously. I found both components to be really transparent and just elevate whatever source I am pushing through them.

Thanks for the information, it's very useful! I'm switching to Analogue steadily and will definitely consider the project. Question: why do you need a preamp besides the phono, is it required? Or can i just hook the phono box to my amplifier?

Jun 28, 2019 at 1:21 PM Post #4 of 6
Thanks for the information, it's very useful! I'm switching to Analogue steadily and will definitely consider the project. Question: why do you need a preamp besides the phono, is it required? Or can i just hook the phono box to my amplifier?

No need necessarily for the preamp, but it gave me the connections I wanted for running multiple sources to my amps/speakers/etc, and I like the tube buffer in it. Additionally, when I add nice speakers down the road I can just get an amplifier rather than an integrated amp. Before this setup I just ran my phono and DAC into a Schiit SYS (passive preamp) and it more than got the job done.

Last edited:
Jun 28, 2019 at 2:16 PM Post #5 of 6
No need necessarily for the preamp, but it gave me the connections I wanted for running multiple sources to my amps/speakers/etc, and I like the tube buffer in it. Additionally, when I add nice speakers down the road I can just get an amplifier rather than an integrated amp. Before this setup I just ran my phono and DAC into a Schiit SYS (passive preamp) and it more than got the job done.

That makes sense, thanks!

Feb 18, 2021 at 12:43 PM Post #6 of 6
Years later, here are some updates. In my office, I used a Cambridge CXC instead, it works fine. I think it definitely worth $500. At home, I purchased a Simaudio CD5.3, it's much better than the Cambridge, when compared to the same DAC. I didn't expect that cause it's a CDP whilte CXC is a dedicated transport.

This year, I sold both and got a Chord Red Reference, it's night and day difference. I've tried pairing the Chord with Hugo2, Hugo TT and my Classe CP800 Preamp, none sound better than the CDP itself. Though it's only a DAC64 inside. My guess is the Balanced Out makes a difference. Hugo TT seems to be not full-balanced.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back