Pro-Ject Amps? New Topic: Little Dot MKV & Beyer DT880
Apr 14, 2009 at 7:40 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 33

Bobsama

100+ Head-Fier
Anything good or bad about Pro-Ject headphone amps? I was thinking about the Head Box SE or SE II.
MUSICDIRECT - PRO-JECT HEAD BOX SE HEADPHONE AMPLIFIER

MUSICDIRECT - PRO-JECT HEAD BOX SE II HEADPHONE AMPLIFIER

For the price, I would like to cheap out and just go with the MK2...
MUSICDIRECT - PRO-JECT HEAD BOX MK2

Current 'phones are Senn HD-555s. I'd like to replace them with AKG K701s in a few months. I don't have an "adequate" source quite yet, but I was thinking of grabbing an M-Audio Audiophile 2496 sound card. It's called a summer job for a reason.

Apr 14, 2009 at 8:03 AM Post #2 of 33
The new source and amp you describe will not be adequate for the 701. There are a lot of headphones out there that will sound much better with the 2496 and project. I am mainly a Sennheiser 650 person but for something to match the equipment you have picked out I would look at low impedance models from AudioTechnica, Grado, Denon, Sony, Kenwood, and JVC, they are so much easier to drive and will not require an expensive amp/source to provide you with good results worthy of your investment. Beware kids touting the 701 with portable amps and sound cards, they know not what they do.

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/bef...9/#post5600823

http://www.audiocubes.com/category/H...ile,+Hifi.html

Apr 14, 2009 at 8:30 AM Post #3 of 33
I have had a quick listen to the 701 out of the black SE amp. It sounded absolutely horrible. I had to quit listening after a few minutes. It also sounded like crap with the HD580. But this was in a hifi store, so it might be the source as well... so don't take my word for it.

Apr 14, 2009 at 8:50 AM Post #4 of 33
I have not heard the Pro-Jects myself but have read a couple of reviews of Headbox SE II, the latest being in STEREO (German hifi magazine) April 2009. The verdict is so-so.Most of the other brands in the test fare better.
Having just bought a Heed CanAmp for My K701, I am very satisfied.

Apr 14, 2009 at 10:59 AM Post #5 of 33
Ok. I'll look elsewhere then. It was just a thought--I know that no company is a master of all trades, though I heard their turntable (Xperience III with Shure V15vxmr) a few weeks ago and I loved the sound it produced. SO other than that, what's good on MusicDirect?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mingo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have not heard the Pro-Jects myself but have read a couple of reviews of Headbox SE II, the latest being in STEREO (German hifi magazine) April 2009. The verdict is so-so.Most of the other brands in the test fare better.
Having just bought a Heed CanAmp for My K701, I am very satisfied.

Do you have a link to that review? I would like to read it and see what else they recommend.

Other than that--what ARE good amps for K701s for <$350?

Apr 14, 2009 at 4:25 PM Post #7 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bobsama /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Anything good or bad about Pro-Ject headphone amps? I was thinking about the Head Box SE or SE II.
MUSICDIRECT - PRO-JECT HEAD BOX SE HEADPHONE AMPLIFIER

The plain SE have some poor spec like the output impedance of 20ohm. Don't bother to plug any lower impedance headphones on this one. K701/K702 are around 70ohm IIRC...

Apr 14, 2009 at 4:53 PM Post #8 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by wolf18t /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The plain SE have some poor spec like the output impedance of 20ohm. Don't bother to plug any lower impedance headphones on this one. K701/K702 are around 70ohm IIRC...

What's wrong with 20 ohm?

Apr 15, 2009 at 2:16 AM Post #10 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by DefectiveAudioComponent /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What's wrong with 20 ohm?

20ohm is just way to high to drive a headphone like say a 32 ohm grado. You will probably get weird frequency response because all headphones don't have a flat impedance from 20Hz to 20KHz. A general good rule of thumb is to keep at least a 10x factor between output source device impedance (here amplifier) and input impedance destination devices (here headphones). This amplifier is probably OK with >200ohm headphones.

I'm not great explaining technical things but this article I found should explain it a lot better way than I would. Just keep in mind that headphones are generally higher impedance device than loudspeaker but the same rules applies.
Amplifier Output Impedance Why It’s So Important

Apr 15, 2009 at 2:52 AM Post #11 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by olblueyez /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Since you seem to be stuck on the 701 I would recommend you snap this up quickly. http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f42/fs...8/#post5538768

This is nice too. http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f43/fs...9/#post5598375

I'm not stuck per-say on the K701s. I like the style of them, though for the prices I'd look at paying, I'd definitely look for somewhere to audition them (as well as other options: DT770/880, Ultrasone Pro 750 or 900, Grado RS2i, Alessandro MS-2, Senn HD650, &c). I'm trying to get an idea of what I should plan to spend on a good amp and external DAC. Unless it's really cheap and really good, no way I can buy exactly now. I'm just a college student trying to set goals.

Apr 15, 2009 at 3:15 AM Post #12 of 33
Quote:

I'm not stuck per-say on the K701s. I like the style of them, though for the prices I'd look at paying, I'd definitely look for somewhere to audition them (as well as other options: DT770/880, Ultrasone Pro 750 or 900, Grado RS2i, Alessandro MS-2, Senn HD650, &c). I'm trying to get an idea of what I should plan to spend on a good amp and external DAC. Unless it's really cheap and really good, no way I can buy exactly now. I'm just a college student trying to set goals.

I will tell you what. I got to try the 880's for the first time not too long ago and I was impressed. It does all the things that people claim the 701's do but without all the drawbacks of the 701. The bass is natural sounding and although the 880s are mid and high centric they are smooth as a babies ass. The sound stage is large but not quite so big as with the 701. They will be soooo much easier to drive and or find a proper amp for as well. You seem to want something that is not dark and overly warm and I say if this is true then get out your credit card and get the 880's. Just so you know, If you go with an OTL tube amp like a little-dot IV then you could get the 880's at 600 Ohm from Moon audio. The 600 Ohm version will be even smoother than the 250 Ohm units.

Apr 15, 2009 at 5:35 AM Post #13 of 33
I have no link to the Pro-Ject test in Stereo. But I subscribe to the magazine and here are the results of the test, although you cannot get too much out of it.
Creek OBH-21 SE 94% (very dynamic, lots of details)
Heed CanAmp 78% (fantastic midrange, not very dynamic)
Lehmann Audio Rhinelander 95% (neutral, dynamic, class leader)
Pro-Ject Head-Box SE II 83% (ok box)
SPL 2 Control 100% (sound quality above the others, excellent)

It is important to listen before buying. This led me to buy the CanAmp despite its low rating. It is very good with my K701s, and I expect it will be even better after some more burning-in. Have only played for 20 hours at the moment.

Apr 15, 2009 at 6:01 AM Post #14 of 33
That SPL 2 Control looks nice. $630 though breaks the bank. Where can I get the Heed CanAmp? What's the going price? Anyways--out of the last 6 mentioned, I was thinking about the Little Dot Mk.V. That amp looks good and has the clean solid-state sound that I prefer. I am analytical whenever I can be with music. The Mk.V and high-impedence cans should be good, right? And $334 shipped hurts, it's not that bad. Then toss in ~$260-300 for either AKG K701 or Beyer DT880. What's the difference now between Pro and Premium? And what about DT770 v. DT860 v. DT880 v. DT990? The 860s are $180, 990s are $255, 770s are $275, and finally the 880s are $300. And just to check with the amp choices (Little Dot MkV or Heed CanAmp), both of them will provide enough power to drive at the lowest range, right?

Apr 15, 2009 at 6:12 AM Post #15 of 33
Quote:

That SPL 2 Control looks nice. $630 though breaks the bank. Where can I get the Heed CanAmp? What's the going price? Anyways--out of the last 6 mentioned, I was thinking about the Little Dot Mk.V. That amp looks good and has the clean solid-state sound that I prefer. I am analytical whenever I can be with music. The Mk.V and high-impedence cans should be good, right? And $334 shipped hurts, it's not that bad. Then toss in ~$260-300 for either AKG K701 or Beyer DT880. What's the difference now between Pro and Premium? And what about DT770 v. DT860 v. DT880 v. DT990? The 860s are $180, 990s are $255, 770s are $275, and finally the 880s are $300. And just to check with the amp choices (Little Dot MkV or Heed CanAmp), both of them will provide enough power to drive at the lowest range, right?

You would want the newer non-pro version of the DT880, it comes at 250 Ohm standard. The Mk V is better with low impedance headphones, but not to the point of me recommending the 701's. Read the power ratings on the LD amps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back