Pro-Ject Amps? New Topic: Little Dot MKV & Beyer DT880
Apr 15, 2009 at 6:30 AM Post #16 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by olblueyez /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You would want the newer non-pro version of the DT880, it comes at 250 Ohm standard. The Mk V is better with low impedance headphones, but not to the point of me recommending the 701's. Read the power ratings on the LD amps.

Eh. I saw the power rating differences. Considering all things, the Mk.V and DT880 Premiums (250ohm) would be the best all-around setup, before I include DAC? That's the only other thing I'd have to look into. I would need an external DAC, unless the M-Audio Audiophile 2496 was a good enough card.

Apr 15, 2009 at 6:36 AM Post #17 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bobsama /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Eh. I saw the power rating differences. Considering all things, the Mk.V and DT880 Premiums (250ohm) would be the best all-around setup, before I include DAC? That's the only other thing I'd have to look into. I would need an external DAC, unless the M-Audio Audiophile 2496 was a good enough card.

I havent listened to the Mk V but I think that amp and the 880's would be a super nice combo for someone looking for neutral but involving, I know some people disagree but the 701 just drains every bit of romance out of the music and it's just not necessary. Can you tell me why your shying away from tubes?

Apr 15, 2009 at 6:47 AM Post #18 of 33
Quote:

I havent listened to the Mk V but I think that amp and the 880's would be a super nice combo for someone looking for neutral but involving, I know some people disagree but the 701 just drains every bit of romance out of the music and it's just not necessary. Can you tell me why your shying away from tubes?

I prefer (as near as possible) flat response. I realize no headphone is perfect in this regard, but I'd like to get as close as possible to a clean, crisp, and overall balanced output. While tube amps have their place (I think more in analogue-only systems), I just prefer the near lack of characteristic sound from solid-state. Other than that, I travel regularly. As a student, a tube amp is more likely to get damaged by stupid roommates. What are open-cup equivalents of the DT880s? IIRC the DT990s are open-cup, but they're inferior so far as sound quality goes. I don't know really, though. As I said, I'm looking for a target to set for myself. I work through summer and purchase myself a few small back-to-school presents. DT880, the Mk.V amp, either that M-Audio 2496 sound card or an external DAC, and a graphics card upgrade. Half of it for my listening pleasure, the rest for my viewing pleasure.

Thanks for your help so far. I'll look for some Mk.V reviews tomorrow.

Apr 15, 2009 at 6:51 AM Post #19 of 33
Quote:

I prefer (as near as possible) flat response. I realize no headphone is perfect in this regard, but I'd like to get as close as possible to a clean, crisp, and overall balanced output. While tube amps have their place (I think more in analogue-only systems), I just prefer the near lack of characteristic sound from solid-state. Other than that, I travel regularly. As a student, a tube amp is more likely to get damaged by stupid roommates. What are open-cup equivalents of the DT880s? IIRC the DT990s are open-cup, but they're inferior so far as sound quality goes. I don't know really, though. As I said, I'm looking for a target to set for myself. I work through summer and purchase myself a few small back-to-school presents. DT880, the Mk.V amp, either that M-Audio 2496 sound card or an external DAC, and a graphics card upgrade. Half of it for my listening pleasure, the rest for my viewing pleasure.

Thanks for your help so far. I'll look for some Mk.V reviews tomorrow.

Sounds good, I am addicted to tube rolling is why I asked but it doesnt sound like your cup of tea. I think you picked out some nice stuff though.
wink.gif

Apr 15, 2009 at 7:09 AM Post #20 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by wolf18t /img/forum/go_quote.gif
20ohm is just way to high to drive a headphone like say a 32 ohm grado. You will probably get weird frequency response because all headphones don't have a flat impedance from 20Hz to 20KHz.

I see... my vintage preamp has 100 ohm output impedance in the headphone amplifier stage. That would mean it only works well with 1000 ohm+ heaphones? I wonder why they didn't think about that....

Anyway, with my vintage orthodyanamic headphones it should not matter then since they have flat impedance.

Apr 15, 2009 at 8:23 AM Post #21 of 33
Interesting information. I was looking over the MK V review here on Head-Fi and I saw, at the end, a few people happy with the DT770s and even the K701s. Now then--my next question is about impedance again. What would happen if I tried the 600 ohm version of the DT880s? Would that have any adverse effects to sound quality? I'm assuming lower sustained power output would be an unfortunate side effect of lower sound pressure? I'm not sure how these work exactly--I work on computers most of the time, not electronics or audio equipment.

Apr 15, 2009 at 12:57 PM Post #22 of 33
Quote:

Sounds good, I am addicted to tube rolling is why I asked but it doesnt sound like your cup of tea. I think you picked out some nice stuff though.
wink.gif

I can't understand why some audiophiles despise EQ but roll tubes to change the sound? What's the difference? You're still manipulating the sound to YOUR preference instead of how it was intended to sound?

Apr 15, 2009 at 6:25 PM Post #23 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by MacedonianHero /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I can't understand why some audiophiles despise EQ but roll tubes to change the sound? What's the difference? You're still manipulating the sound to YOUR preference instead of how it was intended to sound?

I never understood why people insist on confusing what was recorded and how it was recorded with "how it was intended to sound". I think the key words are "I cant understand", by some tubes and then maybe you will understand.

Apr 15, 2009 at 9:30 PM Post #24 of 33
I've heard bad things about the Pro-Ject, it's going to basically be a CMOY inside and the K701s do not take kindly to low end amps. Either invest in a more substantial setup, maybe an Audio-Gd compass, M3, or tube amp, or pick different headphones.

Tube rolling is not equivalent to EQ'ing which is intentionally amplifying/cutting amplitude on certain frequency ranges. Tube rolling is more like changing parts inside an amplifier, like different caps, resistors, entirely different circuits - it is changing the whole fingerprint of the sound not just twiddling with specific frequency ranges. There is no one way that the music was "intended to sound" since the sound is just a source recording being represented 10000 different ways by various audio component setups, and changing tubes again is just like turning your amp into a different amplifier, but EQing your music is changing music at the source level which is not natural.

I would not trust Stereophile's opinions on anything, they're written some pretty goofy stuff when it comes to headphone related reviews. Their experience is mostly in home audio stuff, and they admit this openly in their reviews - every time they do something with headphones they mention that they're sorta new to headphones. I'd trust headfi above all as some people on this site have listened to EVERYTHING vs. stereophile which is just going to say 'Boy this sounds great' plugging in the latest designer $800 amp from some big name mainstream hifi company just getting into headphone products packing a CMOY inside a fancy case.

I don't really think anything from Beyerdynamic is a good first headphone. They displease a lot of people, their treble is extremely forward in the Home models and the Pro ones are famous for their ghetto bass - it's tricky to get them to sound the way you like, although I still enjoy mine they are a shock compared to my HD650s. I think HD650s with a good headphone cable can beat anything, even my newly recabled K702s, rewired with Mundorf silver/gold the HD650s have the most relaxing, pleasing sound without overemphasis of anything - I know what I like and HD650s are it. Some people like the up front sound of Grado and Beyer and that's their decision, I enjoy hearing the differences between various headphones but it's going to take a lot to dethrone my HD650s. While they are notoriously tough to amplify right, this really just means that they are a limitless canvas upon which to spend money and no gear is too good for them - they sound decent enough even on cheaper gear and only get better the more you spend - and I think they have a very safe sound signature that a lot of people will like, although some might be disappointed by their restrained sound on cheap gear with the stock cable. When you recable and add serious amps and sources, they will wtfpwn you.

Apr 16, 2009 at 7:30 AM Post #25 of 33
Quote:

You would want the newer non-pro version of the DT880, it comes at 250 Ohm standard.

Why non-Pro? Comparing directly, I had no doubt I'd go with the Pro version.

Regarding the HeadBox II - terrrible sound, terrible volume pot balance. Need more?

Apr 21, 2009 at 5:18 AM Post #27 of 33
What exactly is the difference between the DT880 Pro, DT880 Premium. Specifically, old v. new. And 600ohm headphones would be fine with the Little Dot Mk.V, right?

Apr 21, 2009 at 6:17 AM Post #28 of 33
Quote:

What exactly is the difference between the DT880 Pro, DT880 Premium. Specifically, old v. new. And 600ohm headphones would be fine with the Little Dot Mk.V, right?

Have you looked at the power output at 600 Ohms on the V? Take a look and then look at the outputs on the MkIII and MkIV.

Apr 21, 2009 at 12:47 PM Post #29 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by Beyer DT880 Premium 250ohm
Nominal impedance acc. to IEC 60268-7250 Ω
Nominal SPL acc. to IEC 60268-796 dB
Nominal THD acc. to IEC 60268-7< 0.2%
Power handling capacity acc. to IEC 60268-7100 mW

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beyer DT880 Pro 250ohm
Nominal Impedence 250 ohm
Nominal SPL 96dB
THD <0.2%
Power handling capacity 100 mW

The only thing I like about the Premium over the Pro is the Premium has a flat cable instead of coiled.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Little Dot MKV
# THD+N: 0.05% (100mW @ 300 ohm, 1KHZ)
# Suitable Headphone Impedance: 32 - 600 ohms
# Input Impedance: 20K ohms
# Power Output:
# 300 ohms: 187mW
# 32 ohms: 500mW

Quote:

Originally Posted by Little Dot MIV
# THD+N: 0.1% (100 mW @ 300 ohm)
# Power Output:
# 500 mW @ 300/600 ohm
# 300 mW @ 120 ohm
# 100 mW @ 32 ohm
# Power Consumption: 30W (228V x 0.133A)
# Variable Gain: 3,4,5, or 10x
# Recommended Load Impedance: 32 ohm~600 ohm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Little Dot MKIII
# THD+N: 0.15% (80 mW @300 ohm)
# Power Output:
# 350 mW @ 300/600 ohm
# 300 mW @ 120 oh
# 100 mW @ 32 ohm
# Variable Gain: 3,4,5, or 10x
# Recommended Load Impedance: 32 ohm~600 ohm
# Input Impedance: 50K ohms
# Pre-Amplifier Output Impedance: 600 ohms

And I see--solid-state amps will lower sustainable power output as impedance increases while tube amps will raise sustainable power output as impedance increases. The MKV is "dual-mono", and it can definitely drive the DT880 Premiums at 250ohms and most likely drive (to spec) the 600ohm version. I'm not sure though which version MoonAudio stocks (Pro v. Premium), though if they carried the 600ohm Premiums, I think the $20 price difference would be worthwhile.

Apr 21, 2009 at 5:35 PM Post #30 of 33
I've been listening to a variety of music through a Pro-Ject Head Box SE and some AKG 141s for over a year. The sound isn't amazing but neutral; I don't get tired of the music. my advice is to take your headphones and compare the two models.
if you want to listen to one source with one set of headphones then the cheaper model should be fine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back