PRO 650 unamped?
Feb 3, 2009 at 8:38 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

UltraBird

Head-Fier
Would the Ultrasone PRO 650, with its 75 Ohm impedance, be capable of working well with my iPod Touch 2G, or would I be better off with its sibling the HFI 550?

I realize I won't be getting the SQ I would get from an amp, but when I'm not at home I'll be using these from the iPod.

Thanks!

Feb 3, 2009 at 10:27 PM Post #2 of 8
I often use my Proline 750 straight out of my RiO Karma or my Zen Xtra with very good results . . . hardly miss the amp.

Feb 4, 2009 at 12:12 AM Post #3 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by NiceCans /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I often use my Proline 750 straight out of my RiO Karma or my Zen Xtra with very good results . . . hardly miss the amp.

Alas, the 750 has 40 Ohm impedance while the 650 is at 75... I don't understand why the 650, which is at the price I'm looking for, has such abnormally high impedance compared to the models directly below and above it in the lineup. Anyway,
does anyone have any experience with the 650 unamped?

Feb 4, 2009 at 12:16 AM Post #4 of 8
75 Ohm is not "abnormally high." As stated above, the 750's are fine out of an iPod. My HD 580's (300 Ohm? anyway, much higher than 75 ohm) are also ok out of an iPod, though much nicer out of an amp that does them justice. I suspect the 650's will be fine, though this is only my opinion.

Feb 4, 2009 at 12:19 AM Post #5 of 8
The PRO650's sound pretty darn good straight out of a portable player. But you will not be getting the most out of them. They do benefit from an amp.

Btw, the Headroom Microamp + the PRO650's is a very nice combination.

Feb 4, 2009 at 12:26 AM Post #6 of 8
smily_headphones1.gif
Quote:

Originally Posted by aamefford /img/forum/go_quote.gif
75 Ohm is not "abnormally high." As stated above, the 750's are fine out of an iPod. My HD 580's (300 Ohm? anyway, much higher than 75 ohm) are also ok out of an iPod, though much nicer out of an amp that does them justice. I suspect the 650's will be fine, though this is only my opinion.

By "abnormally high" I meant in relation to the other models in the Ultrasone lineup, which typically have rated impedances at around half of the 650's. Some high impedance headphones work just fine from a DAP, but I am under the impression that sensitivity is not always directly correlated to impedance, i.e. the sensitivity of the Ultrasones might be less than that of even a 300 Ohm pair. I admit I would like to know more about the topic of impedance's effect on transducer sensitivity... but I digress.
I know there must be some PRO 650 owners out there who can give me the answer I seek!
smily_headphones1.gif

edit: Thanks jpelg! you responded while I was typing
biggrin.gif
Do you think it would be worth getting the 650s over the 550s even if a lot of the time they would be used with a DAP?

Feb 4, 2009 at 2:26 AM Post #7 of 8
I enjoyed listening to my Proline 650 out of my Ipod Mini. Of course, I preferred listening thru my DAC and amp. Had I never heard them amped, I probably would have been very happy with them out of my DAP.

<begin shameless salespitch>And, it just so happens I'm selling my Proline 650 right now!<end shameless salespitch>

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f10/fs...-650-a-406828/

Feb 4, 2009 at 3:13 AM Post #8 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by UltraBird /img/forum/go_quote.gif
edit: Thanks jpelg! you responded while I was typing. Do you think it would be worth getting the 650s over the 550s even if a lot of the time they would be used with a DAP?

I've not heard the 550's. But I'll recommend the 650's out of hand. After all, they are one hundred points higher!
wink.gif

Seriously, the 650's will sound decent now with just your portable source. And when you are financially ready, so will the 650's be ready for a nice amp. Built-in obsolesence prevention, I say!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back