Price no object gaming headphones
May 10, 2009 at 7:50 AM Post #31 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by .coco /img/forum/go_quote.gif
lol @ W5000 for gaming..doesnt it seem like an overkill?

Hey, when it's my only full size headphone at the moment, I got no choice. Besides, it's just sitting there anyway, I might as well use it.
tongue.gif

May 10, 2009 at 8:26 AM Post #32 of 48
I've never used them, but a SonyR10 is meant to be a good headphone, is closed, and I can't imagine it not doing a good job with games.

May 10, 2009 at 9:21 AM Post #33 of 48
i think gaming sounds arent all that complex. all you really need is a creative soundcard that can use all that EAX mumbo jumbo with that "CMSS 3D" crap

tho those may degrade "music quality," they do work pretty well for games.

headphones can take a backseat to these functions if you ask me.

May 10, 2009 at 9:37 AM Post #34 of 48
Quote:

Maybe. But since price is no object why not? Since he can use it for more than gaming...

May 10, 2009 at 11:49 AM Post #36 of 48
Those headphones are overkill also for music for many. But I don´t agree why not get the best possible audio for whatever purpose? I don´t understand that. sound is just as important to immersive you in games, movies as it´s for music.

If you put it the other way I enjoy music out of fm radios too with crappy speakers.
I did try my DX 1000 with Killzone 2 now and surely for action games it´s a good match with it´s big and powerful sound. I don´t understand how it manages it without booming but it does
smily_headphones1.gif
. After I got my new speakers I am less focused around surround since none of my headphones can match it anyway. Though if money is any type of concern PRO 900 though lacking some power have a bit more treble and the bass extension is actually a tad better though it´s not as big so to speak
smily_headphones1.gif

Though for my console gaming I have to use the receiver amp to make use of yamahas silent cinema (their answer to dolby headphone but a bit more advanced) and it seems to have a bit easier time driving the DX 1000 then the PRO 900. Not optimum for any of them though but not that bad
smily_headphones1.gif

May 10, 2009 at 3:58 PM Post #37 of 48
Quote:

Can't the same be said for music? Gaming audio is in the realm of DD5.1 DTS 5.1/7.1 and LPCM 5.1/7.1 audio.. Why diminish it? It's beyond blips and bleeps.

May 10, 2009 at 7:17 PM Post #39 of 48
I don´t think the Psyko 5.1 headphones will go along very well here.... Many is more focused toward sound quality then surround. And I just don´t see how they with that design can sound good. I suspect it may be worse then many 5.1 setups without tubes
smily_headphones1.gif

May 13, 2009 at 10:07 PM Post #40 of 48
Already have MarkL D5000, they don't isolate enough.

Not a fan of Pro750 or HFI780 for gaming, don't expect Pro900 to be a completely different beast.

Will consider DX1000

Was never really a fan of Audio Technica, but will take a look at a few models at CanJam.

Gaming mainly FPS - CounterStrike:Source and Left 4 Dead, other games don't matter in terms of "must be REALLY good audio".

May 13, 2009 at 10:38 PM Post #41 of 48
You can check in the for sale forum
wink.gif
. PRO 900 is quite close to HD 650 in term of balance stock so it´s quite some bass boost compared to the 750. The soundstage is quite similar it´s just bigger on the 900 which makes them more laid back I suppose. It´s smoother and has sweet mid range. But well big chance you wouldn´t like it unless you want a 750 with wider soundstage and more bass and smoother overall
smily_headphones1.gif

Though if you don´t have a transducer already you would be better of save some money on the headphones and get a transducer to complement them. It´s a must for movies and games and can be very good for music as well on bass light headphones in particular.

As for CS I wouldn´t say the audio is all that great in CS or Valve games in general. Haven´t played L4D though. Games that really warrant upgrades is Crysis Warhead, Mirrors edge, battlefield 2 and the likes I would say talking fps games.

May 13, 2009 at 10:42 PM Post #42 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by Suntory_Times /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've never used them, but a SonyR10 is meant to be a good headphone, is closed, and I can't imagine it not doing a good job with games.

I have the Sony R10's and they're not really the best for gaming.

The K1000's are a lot better with gunfire sounds.
wink.gif

-Ed

Jun 19, 2009 at 11:43 AM Post #44 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by FallenAngel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Already have MarkL D5000, they don't isolate enough.

Not a fan of Pro750 or HFI780 for gaming, don't expect Pro900 to be a completely different beast.

Will consider DX1000

Was never really a fan of Audio Technica, but will take a look at a few models at CanJam.

Gaming mainly FPS - CounterStrike:Source and Left 4 Dead, other games don't matter in terms of "must be REALLY good audio".

Same mixture of games here.

My relative ranking:

DT770/32Ohm BTO (bass, accuracy, comfort, isolation, benefit from amping)

W5000 (accuracy, sensitivity, comfort, need a bass boost for games, imho, benefit from amping)

A900 (accuracy, sensitivity, decent comfort, a bit bright, need bass boost)

K701 (soundstage, not the best comfort, no isolation, accuracy, require amping imho)

HFI-650 (not very comfortable for me, no need for bass boost, decent isolation, took a lot to get adjusted to the sound and never fully adjusted)

K271 (sounded slow, difficult to explain, not the most accurate, not most comfortable, not a lot of isolation)

BTW, accuracy here means shorthand for 3D positional accuracy (using HRTF related algorithms like CMSS 3D) in games

I wish there was a combination of DT770 on ear comfort, W5000 on head comfort (pads on the head), DT770 bass, HFI-650 ULE shielding and HD6500/W5000 mixture tonal balance.

I'd buy a pair
smily_headphones1.gif

BTW, haven't tried Stax, Denon, JVC, Sony's or many others for games. The above is just my limited sampling.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back