[Preview] Project Woodwind – Ultimate Ultraportable in The Making?
Apr 26, 2013 at 10:58 PM Post #16 of 30
Here is the final reversion currently under testing:

Final.jpg

Top is the previous version (which has been reviewed here) and the bottom is the final reversion.

A few changes:
1) The mini USB charging port has been changed to micro USB port.
2) Total output power has increased from 125mW to 150mW.
3) A power LED has been included (the green one in picture), right next to the battery indicators LED.
4) Power switch now double as gain selector. You can power the amp up in either +6dB (original) or +15dB mode.

The wooden frame on the top is the prototype case for Woodwind, unfinished of course.

May 23, 2013 at 8:11 PM Post #18 of 30
Uh, isn't double amping ALWAYS a bad idea?  I thought the purpose of an amp is to get line level output from a DAC and replace the existing amplification with a better amplifier.

May 23, 2013 at 8:19 PM Post #19 of 30
Uh, isn't double amping ALWAYS a bad idea?  I thought the purpose of an amp is to get line level output from a DAC and replace the existing amplification with a better amplifier.
It is, but this is to get the best sound through an iPod or phone, it's not designed for strictly audiophools...:p

May 23, 2013 at 9:41 PM Post #20 of 30
May 23, 2013 at 10:17 PM Post #21 of 30
Quote:
Please ask them to back of the power and gain, if this I going to be suited for IEM's

Actually the latest reversion will dial back the total power to 130mW to keep the output as clean as possible. But gain should still remain the same. It is still not final yet as they are still trying to fine tune the circuit. It will however be delayed for a few more weeks as the company is working on another contract at the moment and they need to put food on tablet before spending more money on R&D.

Aug 15, 2013 at 6:06 AM Post #23 of 30
Haven't heard from them for a while now. I'll check with them and see what's up.

Aug 24, 2013 at 12:23 AM Post #25 of 30
Here is the update: The company had a lengthy oversea engineering project so the Woodwind project was delayed, but they are working on finishing it up. The prototyping phase has been done and the final version is actually a little better than they have initially projected. Low gain is +6dB with 135mW max output while high gain is +15dB with 165mW max output. SNR is 110dB, which is quite impressive. Instead of wooden case, they have opted for a black anodized aluminum case on the first run, but yet to finish up the design. They are basically trying to get everything tied up, so it shouldn't be too long now.

Aug 24, 2013 at 1:14 AM Post #27 of 30
Quote:
Any confirmation on the price? Just saw this thread and it already made it to the top of my want to buy list.

They are looking at under $100 at first. But the final price will be determined by the case they'll use. They are not going to make a huge enough quantity to negotiate a lower price from the case maker so they are working on a deal now. Hopefully we will have a fixed, or at least better estimated price in next few weeks.

Sep 1, 2013 at 4:57 AM Post #29 of 30
Here is another update they just sent me:

This is the measurement result from an AP machine: pdf. Basically conforming all the stuffs we have talked about last time.

Here is the rendering of the final case. Note that the protruding screws is an error on rendering. They will remain inside on the actual case.

WoodwindCaseRender.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back