[Preview] FiiO E18 Kunlun – Surprise, Surprise.
Jul 24, 2014 at 10:41 PM Post #196 of 251
  Thanks for the feedback, I'll keep it in mind that I may need to root the phone. 

This is the response that I have got from FiiO CS

Dear Jonathan,

Thank you for your mail and support to FiiO!

Regarding to your problem, we suggest you use a tool to press your E18's reset hole then change another usb otg cable to have a try. Pls make sure each connection is good contact. 
Or you can purchase an USB OTG cable, then connect the supplied usb cable to the USB OTG cable to realize another micro-micro USB cable, like the attached picture. 

We suggest you use the built-in player. Pls try to move the bottom switch to CHG then move it back to "Phone in" to have a try. 

In theory, the E18 can compatible with HTC one m8. 

In theory lol...

Jul 25, 2014 at 8:32 AM Post #197 of 251
This is the response that I have got from FiiO CS

[COLOR=222222]Dear Jonathan,[/COLOR]

[COLOR=222222]Thank you for your mail and support to FiiO!

Regarding to your problem, we suggest you use a tool to press your E18's reset hole then change another usb otg cable to have a try. Pls make sure each connection is good contact. 

Or you can purchase an USB OTG cable, then connect the supplied usb cable to the USB OTG cable to realize another micro-micro USB cable, like the attached picture. 

We suggest you use the built-in player. Pls try to move the bottom switch to CHG then move it back to "Phone in" to have a try. 

In theory, the E18 can compatible with HTC one m8. 
[/COLOR]

In theory lol...

in theory...Oh boy...:rolleyes:
I find it funny that despite the fact the m7 is used in the illustrations on their website, I'm still uncertain of its compatibility... I think I'm just paranoid. plus I was considering upgrading to the m8... oh well, we'll see.

Jul 28, 2014 at 2:11 AM Post #198 of 251
in theory...Oh boy...
rolleyes.gif

I find it funny that despite the fact the m7 is used in the illustrations on their website, I'm still uncertain of its compatibility... I think I'm just paranoid. plus I was considering upgrading to the m8... oh well, we'll see.

The thing is it use to be compatible with the m7 until the firmware update...That stupid firmware update messed it all up. I really don't want to use the stock music player...

Aug 29, 2014 at 4:02 AM Post #200 of 251
Hey everyone,

I think this is my first post but I wanted to mention two things:

1. This is my amp/dac that I got for my V-Moda Crossfade M-100 and I've been mostly pleased, more on that later. It makes my M100s sound far better than they do through my laptop's (macbook w/retina) internal card. By this I mean that the bass hits HARD, if I turn it up my cans WILL shake. I found the mids on the M100s a bit weak and the E18 certainly improves them. The highs are also clearer. 
The main thing that I noticed was the sound is wider, if that's the right word. What I mean is that everything sounds more separated; when I rewatch Futurama or Archer, I can hear sounds that I'd not heard before and they are more isolated from the rest of the noises. I'm not really an audiophile on the same level as a lot of this forum so I can't go deeper into the sound than I have. I can appreciate good sound when I hear it though.

2. The dac and charger work with the Moto X. I just got my Moto X since ATT has then cheap right now and I was concerned if my E18 would work since it had not worked with my Nexus 4 and I HAD to run cyanogen mod for it to work with my Nexus 5.
My Moto X is running stock with whatever the latest update is.

Aug 30, 2014 at 4:20 PM Post #201 of 251
Hello, does the e18 work while charging at the same time? no issues of distortion or noise?

is it also possible to disable the bat and just plug this in like a permanent usb powered dac/amp?

Aug 31, 2014 at 7:58 AM Post #202 of 251
I guess playing hirez content on Android phones is a bit of a cumbersome affair at the moment (at least for Samsung). With the advent of "Android L" this should become easy and out of the box.
I noticed that the E18 does NOT support 88.2kHz samplerate. In my view this seriously limits the future proof of the E18 with regard to hirez content. Does anyone have any info from fiio about a firmware upgrade that might fix this?
Thanks and regards
Rudi

Oct 19, 2014 at 4:28 PM Post #203 of 251
  I guess playing hirez content on Android phones is a bit of a cumbersome affair at the moment (at least for Samsung). With the advent of "Android L" this should become easy and out of the box.
I noticed that the E18 does NOT support 88.2kHz samplerate. In my view this seriously limits the future proof of the E18 with regard to hirez content. Does anyone have any info from fiio about a firmware upgrade that might fix this?
Thanks and regards
Rudi

Good point.

The E18 is a year old and the E17 is almost 2 years old now.  So surely FiiO will be coming out with something soon that supports hirez?  Would love some inside information teasers if anyone had any.

Dec 1, 2014 at 10:04 PM Post #205 of 251
It works fine with my Note 3 and I'd be amazed if it didn't with the Note 4.

Dec 7, 2014 at 9:53 AM Post #206 of 251
Hello all, yesterday I tried in a shop both the E12 and E18 and I bought the E12. The only combo I didn't try was the E18 as andorid DAC with E12 as amp attached through the E18's line out..

Can this be done or they cannot be used in such a way?

Dec 7, 2014 at 10:26 AM Post #207 of 251
  Hello all, yesterday I tried in a shop both the E12 and E18 and I bought the E12. The only combo I didn't try was the E18 as andorid DAC with E12 as amp attached through the E18's line out..

Can this be done or they cannot be used in such a way?

Of course they can, though the question are, do you really want to carry such heavy a setup around and do you really need that much power around?

Dec 7, 2014 at 10:35 AM Post #208 of 251

Of course they can, though the question are, do you really want to carry such heavy a setup around and do you really need that much power around?

Well your is a good point. To be honest no; when I travel I bring with me the DX50 + E12 but for home listening I also like to use smartphone since with google play unlimited I usually discover new bands. So I was wondering if maybe that setup could be done. I've tried the E18's amp yesterday and with my UM Pro 30 I didn't like it so much (or at least I didn't seems as good as E12's one).

Obviously I just whant to know if this is possible, maybe I will never use it in this way.

Dec 14, 2014 at 9:22 AM Post #209 of 251
At the end I've bought also the E18 and I'm quite amazed by it. It perfectly works with my Nexus 5 with lollipop (tried before buying anyway) and it is quite good also as standalone amp also if I prefer the E12. Now it's still a preliminary phase but I will give more opinions after more detailed test!

Dec 16, 2014 at 2:13 PM Post #210 of 251
I'm trying the E18 right now as desktop DAC and it works wonderfully. Immediately recognized by the PC and really wonderful sound. Excellent instruments separation, clarity and detail using a pair of HD 598 + a Mstage V2 amp! I think my Xfi HD will not be used anymore! 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back