Prevent Windows from changing audio settings?
Mar 24, 2014 at 8:35 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

AndroidVageta

500+ Head-Fier
So I have audio going from the HDMI on my video card (HD 7970) and from a USB sound card (Creative X-Fi USB).

I use the HDMI to my receiver for surround sound (5.1) and the Creative for my headphones/small speakers.

Problem I'm having is that if I switch between them or restart my computer or ??? the settings for the HDMI will revert to their default settings (which is stereo @ 16bit/44khz). 75% of the time I find myself having to go to my sound properties and changing stereo to 5.1 and adjusting bit-rate.

Does anyone know what's doing this? Any way I can prevent Windows from making changes to this? I want this stuff hard locked...I have no reason to change any of it.

Any help is appreciated!

Mar 25, 2014 at 4:04 PM Post #5 of 5
First of all, you can try to disable any audio devices or hardware that you don't use. This will cause less confusion both for you and the computer.

Go to playback devices in Windows and make sure that your integrated mobo audio is disabled. You also can sometimes do it from the BIOS.

When you output an HDMI signal from you video card, are you controlling the settings (bit-rate & bit-depth) via Windows UI or the HD 7970 software/UI

If Windows won't save the custom settings automatically, change them through the video card software. If the video card hardware won't save the settings, contact your video card manufacturer and ask if it should save automatically when using the video card UI

Users who are viewing this thread

Back