PRESS RELEASE: Bang & Olufsen announces BeoPlay H3 and H6 headphones
Feb 17, 2014 at 6:34 PM Post #331 of 353
  Hi,
I've recently bought a H6, after a long hesitation between the B&W, the Momentum the Sony Z1000 and so, the H6.

Let's be honest, they are all very good headphones, and I'm pretty sure you can buy any with confidence.

And let's be realistic, you can find similar quality headphones for much cheaper.

Bang & Olufsen was also, to me, some kind of an European Bose...well made products at unreasonable prices (Vs audio quality).

But the listening session has convinced me they were not that bad.

I first tried the Sony, but even if the audio part is rather good, it wasn't as confortable as the others, and I could not see any thing to justify the price range.

Then the Momentum, which looks terrific in brown.
But my first impression for that one was : IMG, it sounds like my HD25 !
The second impression revealed the Momentum is less V curved than the HD25, and much more confortable.
I don't know if the driver is different or not, but the sound signature is very similar to me, too similar to buy the Momentum.

The P7 was originaly my first choice.
I've had many B&W speakers in the past few years, and I really liked the look and the built quality of the P7. The leather is nicer than on the H6 and it is confortable.
But after a quick listening session, I thought it was not necessarly what I was looking for.
At first I tought it was neutral as it has not so much bass, nor treble, but after a few seconds of Melody Gardot...that P7 is flattering voices.
It is not a CONS, some might like it, and I'm sure I would have been able to live with that, but again, that warm sound was not was I was looking for.

And it sounds even warmer when you're comparing it with the Bang and Olufsen H6.
That one has been a real surprise to me.
First of all, because I trust B&W Sennheiser or Sony more than B&O.
Then, because it sounds very neutral.
It can play anything right, from Electro to Classical, without adding or removing anything.
Not as warm as the P7, not as boomy (in the good way) as the Momentum, just good with any kind of music.
Finally, even if the leather pads or the head band are not as nice as the P7's, it is well made (thanks the chinese), it is very confortable, it is nice, and you don't really pay attention to it (which might be good if you are using your $400 headphones in the train or the bus, as I do).

Excuse my english, my french is way better. :)

I think your English was fine :). And I was in a very similar situation to you with closed portables. Except I returned my Momentums because I thought they sounded too closed and boomy, and the cups were too small making them on-ears. The P7's were my first choice but I actually found the headband and the cups to be quite uncomfortable, even if they were really nice. The H6's on the other hand also use leather but it was much softer and memory-foamed. And while both look nice, the H6's look better on the head for me; the P7's are quite bulky. And finally I'm kind of in love with the natural sound... it works for everything. Btw which color did you get? I'm debating with myself which color looks better.

Feb 21, 2014 at 6:36 AM Post #332 of 353
I have a set of B&O H6 and also have BEATS executive. The comparisons I can see are:
H6 does cost more but are lighter when wearing them
The mids and treble sound more realistic and very pleasant
The base is ok, but when you get older all it does is give you a headache
Other people I asked also said the same that they prefer the H6 over the Beats.

Feb 21, 2014 at 9:13 PM Post #333 of 353
I have a set of B&O H6 and also have BEATS executive. The comparisons I can see are:
H6 does cost more but are lighter when wearing them
The mids and treble sound more realistic and very pleasant
The base is ok, but when you get older all it does is give you a headache
Other people I asked also said the same that they prefer the H6 over the Beats.

There is nothing I prefer sonically from the Executives over the H6s. 
redface.gif

Feb 23, 2014 at 3:34 AM Post #334 of 353
I thought that this thread was about the H6 and the H3… 
confused_face.gif

Just bought the H3 yesterday after reading costinstn's post (and a lot of other reading!). I also tried the H6 before, the beige ones, but it was definitely a defective unit. Bass was obviously absent from an iTouch5, but all the sound was tiny, thin, just defective, as if the drivers were blown. The second pair, a black ones, has a more complete sound, almost delectable, but directly plugged in, missed the final little kick of bass anyone stated. Their soul (to cited Beagle) was not on par with mine. But, wait... could the black H6 have a different sound than the beige??

Anyways, H3 seems to take some goods of H6 (clear mids and highs, open and vast sound) with an added touch of bass, just welcome for a real portable device. The may not be the most efficient headphones, but they are easily driven by an ITouch or MBA. They now have 2 hours of runtime! Some talked about 50, even 100 hours, damn…

Very comfortable since they weigh nothing. Gorgeously sexy with the aluminum finish.

Really happy with my purchase as of now, and things could only become better, if I believe other owners.

Mar 2, 2014 at 9:39 AM Post #335 of 353
But, wait... could the black H6 have a different sound than the beige??

No.

But I've had that same impression with my first test of the H6...the cable wasn't completely plugged into the headphones, leading to the exact same sound you're describing.

Mar 2, 2014 at 9:40 AM Post #336 of 353
and I forgot, I went with the black color.
I really liked the vintage look of the beige, but I was worried that beige should turn darker with time.

Mar 2, 2014 at 8:47 PM Post #337 of 353
It was a kinda sarcastic question, but I'm glad that other also experimented this situation. I'm no longer interested into another on/over-ear, but I will definitely try to play with the cable next time I'll pass by this store.

Merci à toi, "Le Français", pour ce petit conseil!

Mar 15, 2014 at 1:01 PM Post #338 of 353
In a review at Headphonia, the author says about the H6 that "the cable has a mic control, making it impossible to use with all of my desktop amps at home". What does he mean by that? What problems does the mic cause? Would I need to get another cable in order to use the H6 with my FiiO E17?

Mar 15, 2014 at 2:00 PM Post #339 of 353
In a review at Headphonia, the author says about the H6 that "the cable has a mic control, making it impossible to use with all of my desktop amps at home". What does he mean by that? What problems does the mic cause? Would I need to get another cable in order to use the H6 with my FiiO E17?

I saw that review and didn't understand that comment either.  The mic control is a standard iPhone type interface and is not in the audio signal path.  I've had no problems using an external amp.  You don't need another cable, but you can replace it since B&O has chosen to use the standard 1/8" connector at both ends.  A v-moda cable works just fine with the H6.

Mar 16, 2014 at 5:14 AM Post #340 of 353
I saw that review and didn't understand that comment either.  The mic control is a standard iPhone type interface and is not in the audio signal path.  I've had no problems using an external amp.  You don't need another cable, but you can replace it since B&O has chosen to use the standard 1/8" connector at both ends.  A v-moda cable works just fine with the H6.
I've been looking into this, and it might be that (his) desktop amps do not support the 4-pin (TRRS) connector that headphone cables with a mic use. The desktop amps may need a 3-pin (TRS) connector. That would be my guess, after reading up on this.

Mar 16, 2014 at 8:41 PM Post #342 of 353
In a review at Headphonia, the author says about the H6 that "the cable has a mic control, making it impossible to use with all of my desktop amps at home".

Not true.  Using a standard 1/8" to 1/4" TRS (Tip, Ring, Sleeve) adapter, my H6 plays fine on my desktop amps (Bryston BHA-1, Centrance DACmini, etc.).  It also plays well from portable amps with 1/8" jack (Meier Porta Corda III-USB, for example).

Mar 25, 2014 at 3:41 AM Post #344 of 353

I have the same problem with that cable and all my amps. Meier Quickstep, iQube and Just Audio AHa-120. If I want to use my H6 with an amplifier I need to pull the plug outwards just a little. If I release it it will move back and the sound will go through the microphone cable - which does not sound good. I just wish they had included a normal cable like (cheaper models) Sennheiser Momentum and Amperior do. 

Apr 28, 2014 at 7:14 PM Post #345 of 353
B&O always seems to put out good looking equipment.  I'd be interested to see a review on these. 
popcorn.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back