PRESS RELEASE: Bang & Olufsen announces BeoPlay H3 and H6 headphones
Aug 7, 2013 at 10:16 PM Post #166 of 353
Which headphones do you like for that slightly more?

I've been listening to the H6 for the last few hours, it is a unit with a lot of hours on it. I'm using it with a Stoner Acoustics UD100 DAC and a JDSLabs C5.

I do not think this H6 has a V shaped curve as the mids are very well present. Overall I find the the focus to be on the bass and the mids, treble isn't too forward or bright or sharp at all. Bass body and punch is very good, the mids are rather warm and very smooth, I can not call this headphone neutral. It is a more centric sounding unit.

Soundstage is pretty good, nothing exceptional and I find the overall sound can be compared to the Momentum, but the Senn sound was even more relaxed and less centric.

It's better as I expected it to be but I find the price too high for what you get sound wise, there are other and cheaper options. or even slightly more expensive options that give you a lot more.

Aug 8, 2013 at 3:18 AM Post #167 of 353
Beyer T90. But even the Hifiman HE-400. Both are open sounding though.
I think a price of 250€ for the H6 would be correct, in my opinion

Aug 9, 2013 at 10:45 AM Post #168 of 353
Quote:

Hi Beagle, in which way is the M500 more neutral than the H6? Do you mean more natural, less bright? In your experience, is there any reason to prefer one over the other (mainly for jazz, classical and acoustic; only for use with my home main system at night)? Thanks!

The M500 does not make you think about anything in the FR. You don't focus on emphasis on this, or lack of that. It all seems to be even.

BTW I returned my H6 to the Apple Store..

Aug 9, 2013 at 6:56 PM Post #170 of 353
I know, I know...

I really liked the sound and the overall balance. I like the fact that they reined in the bass so no boom or overhang was present and it was clean and tight. I just found that after 10 days or so, I realized that the H6 lacked a "soul"....it was almost my ideal frequency balance, but there was just enough lacking in the lower midrange to eventually disconnect me musically from the sound. Hard to explain properly but I am sure you relate to what I am trying to put across here. Other headphones that were probably more colored got me more into the music, overall.

Aug 9, 2013 at 7:13 PM Post #171 of 353
Quote:
I know, I know...

I really liked the sound and the overall balance. I like the fact that they reined in the bass so no boom or overhang was present and it was clean and tight. I just found that after 10 days or so, I realized that the H6 lacked a "soul"....it was almost my ideal frequency balance, but there was just enough lacking in the lower midrange to eventually disconnect me musically from the sound. Hard to explain properly but I am sure you relate to what I am trying to put across here. Other headphones that were probably more colored got me more into the music, overall.

Fair enough! You have to go with what sounds best to you. Now you have me very curious about the KEF M500. You are the second person I've read on HeadFi who prefers the M500 to the H6. I wish there was a place nearby where I could audition them...

Aug 10, 2013 at 7:42 AM Post #173 of 353
I'll bet you're right.

Aug 12, 2013 at 4:24 PM Post #176 of 353
Tried these with a few amps. They sound very very good when connected to my galaxy s4 but take a nice step up when connected to a proper amp. The bass is fuller and more solid, and the headphones have an ease about them that doesn't come through over the smart phone connection.

Only thing I'd like is a bit more air and openness but these are closed back cans and that's to be expected. They are very efficient and sound night and day better than most headphones connected to a smart phone for sure. Light weight and comfortable and sound a bit more smoother after 50 hours of brake in.

Wonder what the differences are between these and a nice open back set of cans are? H,m,m,m,.

Aug 16, 2013 at 6:00 PM Post #178 of 353
Excellent review!

Aug 16, 2013 at 6:42 PM Post #179 of 353
Class A type ampor tube amp is good matching. Used ballari ha540 and ifi ican and with these, they sound awesome! I personally do not believe break in (i do agreed it changes some distortion rates and etc but i cant tell difference at least for me lol) but I do agree sound will change in time due to earpad adjustment on ur earshape.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back