PRESS RELEASE: Bang & Olufsen announces BeoPlay H3 and H6 headphones
Jul 29, 2013 at 7:57 PM Post #151 of 353
My H6 has gotten bit warmer, probably due to the pads breaking in and softening a bit from use. The clamping also has to be fairly secure and snug or the sound is rather lightweight. You can bend the headband in a bit to make sure of this. 

Jul 29, 2013 at 8:29 PM Post #152 of 353
That's good to hear. (I listened to a brand new pair and they were definitely tight and bright.) Now I'm considering the H6 paired with an Asgard 2, though a tube amp would probably do more to fatten up the sound. What kind of amplification are you using?

Jul 30, 2013 at 2:19 AM Post #153 of 353
Here's a link to a very detailed review of the BeoPlay H6 on hifiheadphones.co.uk:

http://www.hifiheadphones.co.uk/forum/headphone-reviews/3730-bang-olufsen-b-o-h6-stereo-headphone-review.html

A snippet from the review:
First impressions of the B&O H6: Much better than average soundstage for a closed headphone, very detailed bass that's neither emphasized nor recessed, and mids that have a slight emphasis around ~1 khz to ~2 khz that give the overall signature a lighter sound than most of the headphones I've been listening to for the past few months. Exactly how this signature would compare to the kings of 'Neutral', i.e. the Sennheiser HD600 and HD800, I don't know because I don't have either one handy now, but I'd guess it's very close. For example the somewhat warm ATH ESW9a with the wood cups sounds nearly identical to the H6 when the ESW9a's treble is boosted slightly. The H6 does not have a bright treble by any means - the treble has about the same strength as a classic neutral headphone (see above), and low quality music tracks with excessive sibilants or other such distortions may be irritating with the H6 if played at loud volumes.

Here is a link to his YouTube video review:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B2NV8jZ8PPA

Jul 30, 2013 at 4:28 AM Post #154 of 353
Quote:
My H6 has gotten bit warmer, probably due to the pads breaking in and softening a bit from use. The clamping also has to be fairly secure and snug or the sound is rather lightweight. You can bend the headband in a bit to make sure of this. 

How would you compare the H6 to the KEF M500? Which do you prefer?

Jul 30, 2013 at 9:34 PM Post #155 of 353
I like them both, but they are different. The H6 sounds more open and spacious, the M500 has a smaller presentation but more neutral overall. 

Jul 31, 2013 at 6:05 PM Post #157 of 353
Quote:
Just a random suggestion, don't buy the tan ones because they get dirty very easily

Not if you keep them away from dirt.

Jul 31, 2013 at 9:12 PM Post #159 of 353
Quote:

Beagle, what amp are you using to power your BeoPlay H6?

I am using a hand-built custom "PPA" amp. Also a Graham Slee NOVO.

I will do more listening and get back with more comments and findings.

Aug 4, 2013 at 3:48 AM Post #160 of 353
You will hear a stronger bass after burn-in.  However, it is still not that strong.  

Aug 5, 2013 at 11:57 AM Post #161 of 353
I like them both, but they are different. The H6 sounds more open and spacious, the M500 has a smaller presentation but more neutral overall. 

Hi Beagle, in which way is the M500 more neutral than the H6? Do you mean more natural, less bright? In your experience, is there any reason to prefer one over the other (mainly for jazz, classical and acoustic; only for use with my home main system at night)? Thanks!

Aug 6, 2013 at 4:09 PM Post #162 of 353
Hi, first post, noticed nobody else has mentioned this, I bought these as an upgrade form my BOSE headphones, which I mainly use for travel, what I find annoying is they don't come with a hard case, the soft case won't protect them a jot. I'm sure a lot of people who will buy them will be people like me who spend a lot of time on planes, a hard case is essential if you want them to last more than a few trips.

BTW compared to the BOSE and B&W C5 headphones I currently use these are light years ahead in sound quality.

Aug 6, 2013 at 6:56 PM Post #163 of 353
Does the H6 offer enough isolation for plane use? When I tried them I found they didn't isolate very well at all...

Aug 7, 2013 at 4:43 AM Post #165 of 353
I've been listening to the H6 for the last few hours, it is a unit with a lot of hours on it. I'm using it with a Stoner Acoustics UD100 DAC and a JDSLabs C5.

I do not think this H6 has a V shaped curve as the mids are very well present. Overall I find the the focus to be on the bass and the mids, treble isn't too forward or bright or sharp at all. Bass body and punch is very good, the mids are rather warm and very smooth, I can not call this headphone neutral. It is a more centric sounding unit.

Soundstage is pretty good, nothing exceptional and I find the overall sound can be compared to the Momentum, but the Senn sound was even more relaxed and less centric.

It's better as I expected it to be but I find the price too high for what you get sound wise, there are other and cheaper options. or even slightly more expensive options that give you a lot more.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back