Presonus CS - free upgrade
Feb 18, 2008 at 2:31 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

chesebert

18 Years An Extra-Hardcore Head-Fi'er
In one or more previous threads we have already established that the headamp sounds best source from the 'cue'. But what's the optimal setup between the cue volume control and the amp volume control.

Well, after some careful testing I rank them as below

best: headphone amp at max (yes use this like a power amp), use cue volume control to control the volume (like preamp).

not bad: max cue volume, use the headphone amp's vol control

worst: neither volume control is maxed. (this produces the worst sound)

My HD650 bass went from floppy to pretty tight, now this CS starts to resemble some of the pricier amp I have owned and heard.

try it if you have the CS, it's a free upgrade
wink.gif

Feb 18, 2008 at 6:28 AM Post #2 of 14
haha thanks chesebert - gonna play around with this (i always used to use the cue for main volume leaving the headamp centered...i guess my thinking was like a console strip with mics trying to leave the line level centered around zero while adjusting the preamp knob for gain...)

Feb 18, 2008 at 10:51 AM Post #3 of 14
hm, interesting. Pray I remember to unplug the balanced phones from the cue output, before I test the headphone outs. Gonna give it a go sometime next week, thanks for the tip! For now, I'm relaxing at home after midterms week ending (seem to have done considerably better on my midterms than I usually do this time around)
biggrin.gif

---
on a quick side note, what do the other CS owners out there use for power conditioning? The CS is always on, so I don't quite want to plug it into the wall directly.

Feb 18, 2008 at 4:25 PM Post #4 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by LostOne.TR /img/forum/go_quote.gif
hm, interesting. Pray I remember to unplug the balanced phones from the cue output, before I test the headphone outs. Gonna give it a go sometime next week, thanks for the tip! For now, I'm relaxing at home after midterms week ending (seem to have done considerably better on my midterms than I usually do this time around)
biggrin.gif

---
on a quick side note, what do the other CS owners out there use for power conditioning? The CS is always on, so I don't quite want to plug it into the wall directly.

hey LostOne

i have mine plugged into a Tripp-Lite Isolation Line Transformer - never tried plugging it into the wall so i can't comment on how much it's conditioning but i dont hear any noise or unwanted sounds so i think it's pretty clean

Feb 19, 2008 at 12:26 AM Post #6 of 14
Thanks Cheesebert. Great observation with this overlooked headamp.

I agree, there is more drive and control particularly with the deep bass on my Denon D5000.

Feb 19, 2008 at 12:29 AM Post #7 of 14
Nice, I'll try it out soon.

Feb 19, 2008 at 1:38 AM Post #8 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by tbonner1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks Cheesebert. Great observation with this overlooked headamp.

I agree, there is more drive and control particularly with the deep bass on my Denon D5000.

x2. Made a nice change to my HD650's as well.

Feb 19, 2008 at 1:48 AM Post #9 of 14
one caveat with the amp volume maxed, its potentially hazardous to your cans and you if you accidentally switch from cue to main.....

Feb 19, 2008 at 1:51 AM Post #10 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by chesebert /img/forum/go_quote.gif
one caveat with the amp volume maxed, its potentially hazardous to your cans and you if you accidentally switch from cue to main.....

Indeed, I ran into this a couple times when trying to do some quick A/B comparisons: certainly wakes you up. Now I have the MAIN input set to AUX, so it's not an issue. However, I don't have the pretty lights, but I don't look at those anyway.

Feb 19, 2008 at 5:48 AM Post #11 of 14
Thanks for the free upgrade chesebert! It does seem to sound a bit smoother and less grainy to my ears vs main which is what I had settled on previously. Though the first thing I thought of was what would happen to my phones and ears if I accidently clicked over to main during a loud passage..

Quote:

Originally Posted by dkjohnso /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Indeed, I ran into this a couple times when trying to do some quick A/B comparisons: certainly wakes you up. Now I have the MAIN input set to AUX, so it's not an issue. However, I don't have the pretty lights, but I don't look at those anyway.

excellent workaround! thanks dkjohnso
wink.gif

Feb 19, 2008 at 11:18 AM Post #12 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by LostOne.TR /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Pray I remember to unplug the balanced phones from the cue output, before I test the headphone outs.

Well I didn't. I usually listen with the knob at about 10. The funny thing is, that with my HD600 connected to the balanced cue output there is not a big difference between about 10 o'clock and max. While it's a bit too loud at max I can still listen too it. The same goes for the headphone outs. There not much difference between 1 o'clock and max. I hope other owners experience the same thing or else something is wrong with my CS or headphones or ears...

Thanks chesebert!

Mar 2, 2008 at 10:15 PM Post #13 of 14
<possible upgrade update>
I have tried to compare leaving the out-board PS in free space, on the carpeted floor, or enclose it in a steel box (no lead box
wink.gif
. I like the enclosed in the steel box best; found my bass went a little lower and the the sound seems to be a little more transparent.....so now the HD650 sounds like the music is coming in from few ft in front/surround me; no more feel like listening from headphone.... Now only in in very complex symphonies with lots of stuff going on (very dynamic) and the 20hz bass will I fee like the amp lack that last ounce of control.

It would be helpful if someone can either confirm..or not. just want get a 2nd opinion on this.

I was just thinking if I keep on tweaking the damn thing I might reach Dynahi......probably not likely..but I can hope
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back