Prehistory-Fi (Talk about prehistoric life and any new scientific discoveries revolving around ancient humans and paleontology)
Sep 28, 2011 at 1:06 AM Post #16 of 20

Quote:
I have about 30 books on prehistoric life that i have collected over time. Problem with these books is they constantly get outdated.

Regarding fossils i have a 4 inch Megalodon tooth. Megalodon actually is Latin for huge tooth. 50 foot shark that looked like a great white.

True in the case of most sciences!

I can't be sure of the species, but I had two old shark teeth fossils in my collection . The larger was about 2 - 2.5 in. and is still in my collection. The smaller was only about 1 in. or so and I gave it to a friend's brother to get him started on a geology collection of his own. The majority of the rest of my collection comprised of a couple of trilobites, a large handful of shells, a couple of smaller bones a leaf imprint, and some sort of marine invertabrate imprints in a calcium based substrate. There are definitely others, but I need to pull out the collection to see what I had in it. I also had a couple of older human artifacts such as a couple of arrowheads, a hammerhead, some small amethyst beads and a copper coin (I guess the coin may be too new to qualify as pre-history, but it is pretty damn old)

Sep 28, 2011 at 1:12 AM Post #17 of 20

Quote:

True in the case of most sciences!

I can't be sure of the species, but I had two old shark teeth fossils in my collection . The larger was about 2 - 2.5 in. and is still in my collection. The smaller was only about 1 in. or so and I gave it to a friend's brother to get him started on a geology collection of his own. The majority of the rest of my collection comprised of a couple of trilobites, a large handful of shells, a couple of smaller bones a leaf imprint, and some sort of marine invertabrate imprints in a calcium based substrate. There are definitely others, but I need to pull out the collection to see what I had in it. I also had a couple of older human artifacts such as a couple of arrowheads, a hammerhead, some small amethyst beads and a copper coin (I guess the coin may be too new to qualify as pre-history, but it is pretty damn old)

Thats quite a collection. I have 3 prehistoric shark teeth. Plenty fossils of leaves. 1 fossil of a fish. And what looks like a leg bone from some ancient animal picked up from the badlands of Alberta. I also have 1 trilobite fossil but it's been kind of polished.

Sep 28, 2011 at 4:02 AM Post #18 of 20
What's your take on cryptids?

They probably don't exist, but I hold out hope that something like the kongamato or pterosaur is still around.

I would love that, despite their reputation for attacking humans.

Sep 28, 2011 at 11:48 AM Post #19 of 20

Quote:
What's your take on cryptids?

They probably don't exist, but I hold out hope that something like the kongamato or pterosaur is still around.

I would love that, despite their reputation for attacking humans.

Ah yes. In the Okanagan where i live there is a lake monster similar to the Lock Ness Monster. Many people think it's a Plesiosaur.

Sep 28, 2011 at 6:26 PM Post #20 of 20
I'd also love for a plesiosaur to show up.

And this reminds me of some genuine prehistoric life - cycads. Caught a reference to them a few weeks ago then spen a few hours reading up.

There are a number of seedbanks, including one nearby in Phoenix. Prices are reasonable and quite a few cycads do well in the desert. I'm hoping to have a house soon (I have a 401K that needs dumping) and a cycad garden would be terrific. Not at all a typical garden, affordable, does well with the local climate, and it would be a lot of fun. They're related to palm trees, which I also love and would plant. I'm tempted to get some seed and start a few out in plastic bottles.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back