Prehistory-Fi (Talk about prehistoric life and any new scientific discoveries revolving around ancient humans and paleontology)
Sep 26, 2011 at 10:25 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

bcasey25raptor

Aka: Brycon Casey
aka mental patient
aka Enter Darkness
aka Shurefan
aka reaperofaudio
aka everyone knows
aka very funny
Hello all i am a huge Prehistory fan and i really enjoy learning about prehistoric life. If you have the same interest as me and want to contribute to this thread you are welcome. Talk about new discoveries, Favorite prehistoric animal, or anything related to prehistory. PLEASE AVOID ANY TALKS ON RELIGION OR POLITICS.

I will start with posting a relatively old article I was excited about and i had long suspected regarding the famous Velociraptor Mongoliensis.

Proof That Velociraptor Mongoliensis had feathers.

Now some pictures.

Sep 27, 2011 at 9:01 AM Post #2 of 20
I have done some research on prehistory and have read several interesting theories of human migration and behaviors in the past 100,000 years. One of the most remarkable documentaries I've seen was Cave of Forgotten Dreams. It's about a "new" cave, the Chauvet Cave that was discovered in 1994 and remarkably preserved like a time capsule. If you like prehistory, you must see it to believe it. It is mind boggling and quite amazing.

Cave of Forgotten Dreams - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Sep 27, 2011 at 8:54 PM Post #4 of 20
Lol @ "prehistory-fi"

I'll contribute.

A while ago (years) I read this book on human/quasi-human "prehistoric" diets -- how for thousands of years our diet comprised mostly of meats, some foraged/gathered fruits, and some vegetables and nuts.  And how the agricultural revolution, circa 10,000 years ago, threw a wrench in the whole thing (previously running smoothly for some 75,000+ years.)  So the book goes on to advocate a return to the "intended" evolutionary diet.

Cool book.

Sep 27, 2011 at 9:05 PM Post #5 of 20
I heard a T-rex is found preserved and its soft tissues were extracted. Until now, I still "hope" that dinosaurs still live in the wide seas because most unknown species lurk at ocean depths where no man has gone before. It's a bit silly I know but hey, maybe someday man will create a "Jurassic Park".

Sep 27, 2011 at 10:04 PM Post #6 of 20
I have done some research on prehistory and have read several interesting theories of human migration and behaviors in the past 100,000 years. One of the most remarkable documentaries I've seen was Cave of Forgotten Dreams. It's about a "new" cave, the Chauvet Cave that was discovered in 1994 and remarkably preserved like a time capsule. If you like prehistory, you must see it to believe it. It is mind boggling and quite amazing.

Cave of Forgotten Dreams - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

How old was the age of the drawings, about 30k?

Were there spaceships in the background? :D

Sep 27, 2011 at 10:17 PM Post #7 of 20
I am glad this thread actually took off. I thought it was going to be a flop. Thanks for all the contributions. I will look into Cave of Forgotten Dreams.

Sep 27, 2011 at 11:20 PM Post #9 of 20

Quote:
Diamond planet, here. Also on Gizmodo was a long thread of how they found a cure for AID's, cant find it.

Good thing that some nonsense about a extrasolar planet and a cure for a disease that has only afflicted humans for 30 years are deeply related to ancient humans and paleontology.

Sep 27, 2011 at 11:32 PM Post #10 of 20
To the OP, from age 5 until I was 9 years old , I wanted to be a paleontologist. A paleontologist with the last name of me (which I thought was pretty cool) found a new sauropod species near the peak of my interest, and I (with the help of my parents) had a year-long email exchange with him. I knew all the big species of dinosaurs' common names, some taxonomic names, and spent a lot of time digging for fossils by rivers near my house. Found a few trilobites and one leaf imprint.

Then dinosaurs gave way to my new interest in airplanes in 4th grade, and I decided that I wanted to be an Aeronautical engineer, and that's where I am today.

To Spareribs, early human history is a pretty interesting subject, the early development of the age of man is very mysterious and cool. Thanks for sharing :)

Sep 27, 2011 at 11:52 PM Post #11 of 20

Quote:
To the OP, from age 5 until I was 9 years old , I wanted to be a paleontologist. A paleontologist with the last name of me (which I thought was pretty cool) found a new sauropod species near the peak of my interest, and I (with the help of my parents) had a year-long email exchange with him. I knew all the big species of dinosaurs' common names, some taxonomic names, and spent a lot of time digging for fossils by rivers near my house. Found a few trilobites and one leaf imprint.

Then dinosaurs gave way to my new interest in airplanes in 4th grade, and I decided that I wanted to be an Aeronautical engineer, and that's where I am today.

To Spareribs, early human history is a pretty interesting subject, the early development of the age of man is very mysterious and cool. Thanks for sharing :)

Well dinosaurs and me have stretched since i was 9. I am still interested in that stuff today. Do i want to be a paleontologist? Yes i do, but the university studies to become one is to much for me.

Sep 27, 2011 at 11:56 PM Post #12 of 20
IMO, one of the best ways to feel the energy of many thousands of years ago is to visit a desolate place or mountain/island far away and out in the middle of nowhere and observe the still silence at night. It can be powerful because what you are feeling is pretty much exactly what early man felt 100,000 or so years ago.

Time moves slowly and you hear the wind and the distant waves if on an island. This is what early man felt. Trying to fathom something like 400 centuries ago can be mind boggling. I actually once did an experiment a couple years ago where I cooked a rabbit with fire wood and charcoal and on sticks like how early man would have done. Mind you, metal grill grates were not invented so it was very primitive. I had to use some charcoal because the firewood was difficult to start and my fire making skills from wood only is pretty bad but you get the idea of this basic recreation. So here was my attempt a couple winters ago of the caveman style barbecue:

Another way to do a caveman style BBQ is to just build a fire and throw hunks of meat directly on the burning embers. When the meat is cooked, you simply dust off the ashes from the meat and that's it. Despite the simplicity, it's actually very good because the char and smoke adds flavor. Early man would have used flint stones to cut the meat since a metal knife was to be a futuristic tool thousands of years later.

Sep 28, 2011 at 12:03 AM Post #13 of 20

Quote:
IMO, one of the best ways to feel the energy of many thousands of years ago is to visit a desolate place or mountain/island far away and out in the middle of nowhere and observe the still silence at night. It can be powerful because what you are feeling is pretty much exactly what early man felt 100,000 or so years ago.

Time moves slowly and you hear the wind and the distant waves if on an island. This is what early man felt. Trying to fathom something like 400 centuries ago can be mind boggling. I actually once did an experiment a couple years ago where I cooked a rabbit with fire wood and charcoal and on sticks like how early man would have done. Mind you, metal grill grates were not invented so it was very primitive. I had to use some charcoal because the firewood was difficult to start and my fire making skills from wood only is pretty bad but you get the idea of this basic recreation. So here was my attempt a couple winters ago of the caveman style barbecue:

Another way to do a caveman style BBQ is to just build a fire and throw hunks of meat directly on the burning embers. When the meat is cooked, you simple dust off the ashes from the meat and that's it. Despite the simplicity, it's actually very good because the char and smoke adds flavor. Early man would have used flint stones to cut the meat since metal was a futuristic tool thousands of years later.

The brief 3 million years of Homo Sapien and it's ancient ancestors is a very interesting one. If it has shown anything it is that Humans are very able to adapt. From the discovery of fire, to the birth of the spear, We were always advancing. But now with our society if there was a sudden disaster like another ice age we may have trouble coping. The human race has reached a point where if our cultures are disrupted it could collapse our entire way of life (look at the economy for example). Back in the ice age there might have been a few million humans on earth now there is nearly 7 billion. It makes you question weather our way of life is actually better then our ancestors. This is why i am so interested in this subject.

Sep 28, 2011 at 12:26 AM Post #14 of 20
It seems almost everyone at some point in time or another has an interest in pre-history. Mine lasted from when I was 7 and my parents took me to Jurassic Park, grew at 8 when one of my Dad's students loaned me their copy of the novel, and took off the next year when I got into geology and collecting and acquired a hole handful of fossils - some obtained as gifts, a couple through trades and a couple that I personally found. I think I still have them cataloged somewhere in storage...

Sep 28, 2011 at 12:47 AM Post #15 of 20

Quote:
It seems almost everyone at some point in time or another has an interest in pre-history. Mine lasted from when I was 7 and my parents took me to Jurassic Park, grew at 8 when one of my Dad's students loaned me their copy of the novel, and took off the next year when I got into geology and collecting and acquired a hole handful of fossils - some obtained as gifts, a couple through trades and a couple that I personally found. I think I still have them cataloged somewhere in storage...

I have about 30 books on prehistoric life that i have collected over time. Problem with these books is they constantly get outdated.

Regarding fossils i have a 4 inch Megalodon tooth. Megalodon actually is Latin for huge tooth. 50 foot shark that looked like a great white.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back