SACD
DVD-A
Vinyl
Cassette
8-Track
Reel to Reel
Digital Download
Mobile Download

And why? Do you prefer the convenience of digital or the audio quality of vinyl?

Dec 1, 2007 at 4:27 AM Post #3 of 62
Currently, CD because I like having physical media around and CD is one of the easiest ways for me to obtain physical media, and mp3 when I need portability.

But my sister recently gave me a turntable for (very early) Christmas so vinyl may quickly overtake CD as my fav physical media.

Dec 1, 2007 at 6:27 AM Post #6 of 62
Vinyl or SACD.

I give the edge to vinyl because of the sound, but I just love the hardware and ritual involved with it. Great fun.

Also, most new indie rock is on vinyl and I've been able to find almost everything I want. Have been able to find a lot of jazz and country vinyl, as well. Funny thing is, there's little new classical on vinyl.

SACD has a huge amount of classical, a fair bit of jazz, but little rock and maybe 20 country titles. While I give the edge to vinyl, SACD is awfully close to the smooth analog sound. It's a great format and I wish there were more releases than just classical.

I do listen to Red Book quite a bit and my FM tuner. They do sound awfully good. I've been thinking about picking up a reel-to-reel machine, as well. Tape can sound amazing, but I need to learn more about the players and am a little hesitant to build up another library of music.

Dec 1, 2007 at 6:37 AM Post #7 of 62
Other.

I prefer live music! My preferred genre is hot, young, naked chicks singing to an audience of one: me!

Otherwise, probably SACD; it offers the best combination of the convenience and sound quality factors for at home listening (which is what I do most of).

Vinyl wins if considering only sound quality. No serious competition there from any other format.

Lossless would be my choice for the ultimate in convenience. With a 160 GB iPod at my disposal, I don't see any reason whatsoever to compress files. It really doesn't add anything meaningful in terms of the convenience factor. If ever I fill up my 160 GB iPod and still feel that I'd like to have more music at my disposal when on the road, I'd just get another one. That way I don't need to be stressing my mind about sound quality issues. If nothing else, lossless allows me to relax because I know it's as good as it's going to get for travel purposes.

But despite my preference for live music, vinyl, and SACD (in that order) for sound quality purposes, and despite my preference for lossless for convenience purposes, what I listen to the most (by far) is redbook. Why? That's what I have the most of (also by far). In my main system, most of it sounds pretty darn good.

Edit: Forgot FM. Good call, Uncle Erik. I listen to FM in the car and also sometimes in bed if I'm restless at night or too lazy to get out of bed in the morning. I absolutely love my Trivoli Model 3 with the optional additional speaker/alarm. It provides for a very soothing FM reception in stereo and in the comfort of my bed. I like the randomness of radio. Sometimes its just fun to see what comes on next and sing along if you can. It's how we all discovered our love for music to begin with and always takes me back to those times when I was a kid and had no other choices to pick and choose from. Then when I hear a song that I really love and start wishing it sounded better, I jump out of bed and head to the CD and vinyl racks and fire up the big rig or a headphone system to hear that same song at its best!

Dec 1, 2007 at 6:47 AM Post #8 of 62
This is very interesting that quite a few people prefer vinyl. I guess that among the audiophile communities analog is king. I've wanted to get back into vinyl, but can't seem to do it because I'm afraid of the high costs of equipment and peripherals associated with vinyl.

The CD has been declining in sales very rapidly in recent years.
I find that I would be more likely to purchase CDs if the packaging is interesting. Special packaging / boxsets add value to me at least.

Digital music has been growing at a rapid rate, due to the popularity of the ipod and other DAPs. I don't buy much online due to the low bitrate. I would rather rip to lossless or a higher bit rate AAC / MP3.

Also, there is a new USB bracelet format that has been released recently, but I believe it is doomed. Who would want to spend $40 for music on a USB fob?

Dec 1, 2007 at 7:16 AM Post #9 of 62
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wmcmanus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I prefer live music! My preferred genre is hot, young, naked chicks singing to an audience of one: me!

LOL

I agree 100% with you there! Although I don't find too much of that genre in my neighborhood.
wink.gif

Dec 1, 2007 at 8:03 AM Post #10 of 62
In order of preference (pretty much the same as Wmcmanus):
Vinyl
SACD
FLAC
CD
MP3

In order of actual use:
FLAC
MP3
Vinyl
CD
SACD

Dec 1, 2007 at 8:08 AM Post #11 of 62
I buy CDs but listen to FLAC. I currently live away from home so having hundreds of CDs with me is very inconvenient. Plus I'm poor so even if I bought a better format than CD it would go to waste on my current gear.

One of these days I might move up to SACD or DVD-A (after student loans and mortgage are paid off). I don't see myself going to vinyl though because most of the music I listen to isn't available vinyl.

Dec 1, 2007 at 8:27 AM Post #12 of 62
Other -> Live music.
Followed by CD and Digital Download

Dec 1, 2007 at 8:47 AM Post #13 of 62
prefer Vinyl to CD for sound
prefer CD to Vinyl for ease.

never tried SACD, never liked the sound off of DVD's, MP3's don't even enter the equation.

Dec 1, 2007 at 11:04 AM Post #14 of 62
Vinyl or high bit rate digital on my Walkman.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back