Preference over Westone's Universal IEMs
Dec 29, 2012 at 6:37 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

HaruHaruHarHar

New Head-Fier
I FINALLY registered and became a member after all these years of reading threads, reviews and articles on all kinds of things. From In Ear Monitors to Full Sized Headphones, portable amps to Desktop Amps and all sorts.

My place got robbed just a few weeks ago. So, a majority of my gadgets are gone. From my Burson and Violetric Amps to Schiit DACs, Senn HD650 HD800, AKG K701, K550, Beyers DT880 & DT990, Ultrasone HFI-780 PRO-650, Denon D2000 & D7000 OAO To My Cameras and Lenses >.< Too Many to mention...... Which also included the Westones 1,3 & 4 and the Audeo PFE232. (AND YES...... Other sources as well..... Only player I've currently got is a Walkman X-1060 and a 3rd Gen Ipod Touch)

All in all, made a police report, but not putting any hopes in em XD I know that it's Long Gone~ So, i'm in the process of recuperating and slowly buying certain stuffs one by one. One of em being em Earphones~ I've been using my Old Razer Moray on my Ipod and Walkman for the time being. Sold off my Klipsch S4s and Shure SE215 last year too. So, I guess I can't really go along with low end earphones, and the Moray seriously tires me out.

Now Onto the real Reason for starting a New Thread and Joining ofcourse. I wanna know how do you guys feel about the UM series compared to the W's. I'm most probably gonna get the UM3X before rebuying the rest. But before that, i'd wanna read on some opinions from other people other than my group of friends. As you can see, i've kept  a majority of my Westones and didn't really bond well with other IEMs like the Shure SE535s, UE TF10 etc. You could say that I've grown accustomed and fond of Westone's Sound signature. And from the Headphones I used to have, I guess you could roughly figure out what sounds I'd prefer. I like em to be warm, doesn't matter whether it's flat or Neutral, Since the Westone 4 was my Favourite amongst the Westones I owned. While the W3 was kinda ear piercing to the point I had to control the highs by playing around with the EQ.

I was originally planning on getting the UM series, just to try em out. I'm a Bass guitarist and a Drummer, so I kinda have the need to hear my mates out when we jam. And at the same time, thinking of comparing em with the W's. There's no way that I could Test ANY of the iems in my area (Brunei Darussalam) Hence, the reason why I bought a number of headphones and earphones as a trial and error method. But most of em were bought after I tested some out back when I visited Japan and Singapore.

To put it simply. How does the UM series compare to the W's? Especially the UM3x compared to the W3 & W4. Suggestions and opinions are more than welcome. Will be placing my orders within a week or two after reading enough comments on this thread as well as other threads.

Thanks in Advance XDDD

Dec 29, 2012 at 12:50 PM Post #2 of 5
First off, sorry about your plight. It's really sad to know most of your audio equipment is gone but we can rejoice that you're ALIVE & KICKING!
beerchug.gif

I have both the Westone 4R & UM3XRC and in a nutshell, for me there was more clarity from UM3XRC with slow BPM music vs 4R which sounds energetic & thumping (right amount of bass) with high BPM tracks. The bass from 4R sounds crisp & clean allowing me to listen for longer periods of time.

Someday I hope to buy W3 but I need to give my wallet a rest for some months.

Dec 30, 2012 at 10:11 PM Post #4 of 5
Quote:
First off, sorry about your plight. It's really sad to know most of your audio equipment is gone but we can rejoice that you're ALIVE & KICKING!
beerchug.gif

I have both the Westone 4R & UM3XRC and in a nutshell, for me there was more clarity from UM3XRC with slow BPM music vs 4R which sounds energetic & thumping (right amount of bass) with high BPM tracks. The bass from 4R sounds crisp & clean allowing me to listen for longer periods of time.

Someday I hope to buy W3 but I need to give my wallet a rest for some months.

It was just a Normal day when it happened, and I was at work and no one's home. And~~~ Yeah, Alive & Kicking
dt880smile.png
Shouldn't be depressed forever.

But anyway~~~ Yea, i've read in some of the threads that the UM3X's Bass are more full bodied than the 4's while the 4's are cleaner and easier on the ears. Is the UM3X more of a Fun sounding IEM or more like a Monitor?

As for the W3, it's really a Fun IEM. It's Really Full Bodied and Warm as well. Works Extremely well with Heavy Metal, Rock, Techno and Even for Gaming (EXPLOSIONS!!!!!
basshead.gif
) Though, the mids are kinda recessed compared to the W4. And I don't know whether it's just my ears but I had to tone down the highs a lil bit as they're kinda ear piercing for me. Perhaps i'm a tad bit more sensitive to highs. But nevertheless, a Really Fun IEM!
Quote:
Wow bummer and the burgalor knows his stuff, not the general crowd who thinks anything besides beats suck

Hahaha, I Know Right! And not that i'm complaining.... But the weird thing is, that, whoever it is, didn't even bother with the PS3, the 62 inch TV, Theatre set up, but nabbed 2 of my Gaming Rigs
deadhorse.gif
And left the weakest one behind. LOL. (Though, It feels weird LOL-ing at this) And fortunately and Unfortunately, I don't have any beats anyway. Hahahaa, would've sacrificed those for the stuffs taken away anytime!

Jan 10, 2013 at 6:14 PM Post #5 of 5
Will be closing the thread XD

After reading a whole lot of comments from other threads. I decided on getting both the UM3x and the Westone 4 again. Just so that I could listen to it myself XD

Users who are viewing this thread

Back