Preference for closed cans...
Jun 28, 2009 at 4:18 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

milesandcoltrane

100+ Head-Fier
It just hit me that somehow I've got an undeniable preference for closed cans. Somehow over the years when picking out phones, auditioning many cans in the process, somehow I keep going to closed cans. I'm really not too sure why, but somehow the sound of closed cans, the intimacy, appeals to me greatly. I've gone from AKG K81DJ to the Beyer DT150 to the Senn HD 25-1 II to the Sony MDR-7506 now.

Thing is, I don't really need closed cans. I listen to my cans in my apartment, which is located in a very quite place. When I move around in school I usually listen to them in extremely quiet places as well. I have no need to prevent sound from leaking too.

I have a concern though, cuz many people have said that closed cans are a compromise over open cans. I don't wanna miss out on the enhanced sound of open cans. But somehow I keep picking closed cans, even with best of the field open cans.

Anyone else has this undeniable preference too?

Jun 28, 2009 at 4:35 AM Post #2 of 16
The best thing to do is to try a pair of open cans such as the MS1 or AD700 and see how you feel about them. I like closed cans as well (especially the DT250) as they are very useful in some situations but Id take open cans anytime I don't need isolation or sound leakage isn't an issue.

Jun 28, 2009 at 5:53 AM Post #4 of 16
in my living situation right now, I prefer closed cans (AKG K340s) because then the ambient noise of my roommates doesn't bother me.
Often, the bass resonance in a closed can can sound like the reverb in a small room, so I sometimes prefer it because of this, but not always.
I'm still waiting on a 10/10 headphone that I can confidently invest in a full system around.
(The K340 is a keeper, but I want something else too)

(btw I've tried a lot of headphones and written them off in the past just because the system synergy was lacking... fyi, ymmv)

Jun 28, 2009 at 6:16 AM Post #5 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by dreamwhisper /img/forum/go_quote.gif
in my living situation right now, I prefer closed cans (AKG K340s) because then the ambient noise of my roommates doesn't bother me.
Often, the bass resonance in a closed can can sound like the reverb in a small room, so I sometimes prefer it because of this, but not always.
I'm still waiting on a 10/10 headphone that I can confidently invest in a full system around.
(The K340 is a keeper, but I want something else too)

(btw I've tried a lot of headphones and written them off in the past just because the system synergy was lacking... fyi, ymmv)

Did you try some Ultrasone ?

Jun 28, 2009 at 9:43 AM Post #6 of 16
It may just be that you like the smaller soundstage on closed headphones. To each his/her own.

Jun 28, 2009 at 10:01 AM Post #7 of 16
Not just soundstage... open cans just cannot give the bass of a good closed can. I really don't see why the opinions of others should be more important than the opinions that your ears tell you, there's no reason to think that the open backs are superior to the closed backs or vice verse.

Jun 28, 2009 at 10:22 AM Post #8 of 16
I listened to several closed and open headphones.
In my situation, the more isolation the better, so I stick to closed cans.
But I don't feel they are a compromise over the open headphones.
Closed headphones can have a wide soundstage too, as open headphones can have a good bass slam as well.
There's just difference in the quality of each headphone, closed or open. It all comes down to your own preference.

Jun 28, 2009 at 10:26 AM Post #10 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tiemen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
In my situation, the more isolation the better, so I stick to closed cans.

same here! cans that don't isolate from outside noise are useless to me...and I like the claustrophobic feeling tbh
atsmile.gif

the cd3k is closed and has some of the biggest headstage available, so indeed closed ones can sound HUGE....if the drivers are angled
wink.gif

Jun 28, 2009 at 10:59 AM Post #11 of 16
Closed cans have some undenyable advantages in respect of a "good" hitting bass, I guess that is why some prefer them. But on the other hand, closed cans have a tendency of developing "strange" mids, be it recessed or queeky. These colorations may be explicitly liked as well though (e.g. ATs and metal listeners, Ultrasones & trance)

Until now, I only experienced two closed cans with really good and natural mids, that were the Edition 9 und the K271/K272 series.

Jun 28, 2009 at 11:08 AM Post #12 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by nickchen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
on the other hand, closed cans have a tendency of developing "strange" mids, be it recessed or queeky.

you can dampen the cups to overcome this issue, and get a "drier"/less resonant sound. actually every issue that comes w/ closed cans can be fixed IMO.

the best solution seems to be this : http://www.thecableco.com/product.php?id=5983

Jun 28, 2009 at 11:23 AM Post #13 of 16
GuyDebord -
I have tried the DT880 and loved them man! The only problem I had was with the sibilance. It was incredibly painful at times. Liked the HD600 too, however it was a tad un-engaging and boring. It also felt like I was listening through a mesh screen of curtain of some sort - the Senn veil?

leeperry -
I think I love that 'claustrophobic' sound too. It gives me a sense that I'm listening to some awesome jazz musicians in a small intimate club setting.

nickchen -
what do you mean by queeky mids buddy?

Jun 28, 2009 at 11:26 AM Post #14 of 16
I preferr closed headphones due to the isolation but obviously I want the airy representation and headphones that sounds natural so I have subconciously get ridden of all the coloured closed headphones, DT 770, A900, DX 1000 even and kept my Ultrasones.

As mentioned the Proline 750 I had and the Pro 900 I got now is more airy than for example the HD 650. Not quite as much as the K701 perhaps.

Recessed mid range is not there on closed headphones like the Pro 900 and DX 1000 for example. DX 1000 I kind of feel it´s actually boosted. True on the DT 770, A900 and AKG K81dj but they are really not supposed to be neutral. Either designed to have big bass or in the A900 to have much treble energy to sound more clear
smily_headphones1.gif

But isolation is really nice. It let you shut out the outside world and focus 100 % on the movie, game or the music. Even if you aren´t in a noisy environment it just let me get more involved forget work and everything.

However sometimes you do want the huge soundstage and all but then I just use my speakers. There is no open or closed headphones that can compare in that regard. So sometimes I use my K701 in conjunction with my speakers... No complains about lean sound then
biggrin.gif
. Same speed so works well.

Jun 28, 2009 at 11:27 AM Post #15 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by leeperry /img/forum/go_quote.gif
you can dampen the cups to overcome this issue, and get a "drier"/less resonant sound. actually every issue that comes w/ closed cans can be fixed IMO.

the best solution seems to be this : http://www.thecableco.com/product.php?id=5983

Interesting product!
Quote:

Originally Posted by milesandcoltrane
what do you mean by queeky mids buddy?

Just unnatural and strange sounding, e.g. a 40 years old female singer sounds like she is 13.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back