Predator vs. SR-71
Jun 13, 2008 at 5:36 PM Post #16 of 41
Maybe a SR-71+ with more capacitance.

Jun 13, 2008 at 6:46 PM Post #17 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by wolfen68 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Agreed...though I never sold my SR71
smily_headphones1.gif

I compared a burned in Predator and SR71 at length for several days. While they are both great and exhibit the signature "Ray" sound, I prefer the SR71.

But, if portability is an issue, the Predator has the edge of being much smaller.

I can attest to that.
I just received my new RSA Predator today. This particular product from Mr. Samuels is very well built, imo.

Pic taken by Nokia n95 8gb (which I also got today, along with 5 other boxes
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
)

06132008004.jpg

I just put the orbit gum and iPod classic for size comparison. Also everything, including the pouch comes with the shipment.
Note: Extremely Urgent
eek.gif

Jun 13, 2008 at 6:49 PM Post #18 of 41
The way Ray jumps on the shipping and gets orders out the same day and uses fast shipping is exciting in a way. To me it is Ray's way of saying yes, thank you for ordering and payment and here is your product. It is so fast it is like he is handing it to you!

Jun 13, 2008 at 6:56 PM Post #19 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by jamato8 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The way Ray jumps on the shipping and gets orders out the same day and uses fast shipping is exciting in a way. To me it is Ray's way of saying yes, thank you for ordering and payment and here is your product. It is so fast it is like he is handing it to you!

I appreciate that too
biggrin.gif

The rate at which things are going, his B-52's are not far from my scope now.
I'm really excited how things will sound after I the burn-in ~ also does it matter what kind of noise/music the Predator outputs?
Say I play Call of Duty 4, or listen to Classical, or leave it on all night with random tracks? Will burn-in develop differently with different "noises" with this particular amp?

Jun 13, 2008 at 7:10 PM Post #20 of 41
I am a former sr71 owner and now own a Predator. For me, I prefer the Predator and have not noticed any SQ differences that would have me regret the sale of the sr71. A burned in Predator sounds wonderful. When you also consider the smaller size of the Predator AND the built in Dac for computer use (when needed) it is a "no brainer" portable rig option over the larger sr71.

Jun 13, 2008 at 7:13 PM Post #21 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by Akabeth /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I appreciate that too
biggrin.gif

The rate at which things are going, his B-52's are not far from my scope now.
I'm really excited how things will sound after I the burn-in ~ also does it matter what kind of noise/music the Predator outputs?
Say I play Call of Duty 4, or listen to Classical, or leave it on all night with random tracks? Will burn-in develop differently with different "noises" with this particular amp?

I find that just a range of music. Strangely I was using pink noise, which is the whole spectrum and I didn't like the results. Turn it off every day or two for an hour or so and this helps to form the cap faster.

Jun 13, 2008 at 8:40 PM Post #22 of 41
While I have never tried a Predator, there are times when I do wonder whether my SR-71 has been passed by and I should consider an upgrade (I particularly want a Xin Micro) however a change of source always reminds me of how good it is: Ditch the Nano or H140, remove the computer or CD player and plug in the phono stage and spin the Vinyl. It is still fantastic.

Any limitation on sound quality is usually down to the source.

Yes it could be smaller and an on board recharging facility would be nice but overall worth changing - NO

Jun 13, 2008 at 8:40 PM Post #23 of 41
Are there any ideas on when the SR-71 will be available? Also, does anyone have any pictures comparing the SR-71's size with that of the Predator's? I'd be interested in seeing a direct comparison between the two.

Jun 14, 2008 at 12:05 AM Post #24 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by hypr /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Are there any ideas on when the SR-71 will be available?

Last word was that it has been discontinued. I could be wrong, and hope that i am, but i dont think i am.
Quote:

Also, does anyone have any pictures comparing the SR-71's size with that of the Predator's? I'd be interested in seeing a direct comparison between the two.

If one amp were to make the other its prison bitch, there is no doubt in my mind that the sr-71 comes out on top. The SR-71 is generous and will protect the predator, but the predator has to do certain things for the SR-71. Being that the sr71 does everything better, perhaps the predator would just get shanked.

Jun 14, 2008 at 12:20 AM Post #25 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by nikongod /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If one amp were to make the other its prison bitch, there is no doubt in my mind that the sr-71 comes out on top. The SR-71 is generous and will protect the predator, but the predator has to do certain things for the SR-71. Being that the sr71 does everything better, perhaps the predator would just get shanked.

This almost sounds like first hand experience butt from which end I am not sure.

Jun 15, 2008 at 12:05 AM Post #26 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by jamato8 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This almost sounds like first hand experience butt from which end I am not sure.

haha "butt from which end"....

Are there anymore opinions about these two amps? It seems that a lot of people praise both, and I'm sure they're both great amps. Is the SR-71 a little too big to carry around with you for a portable?

Jun 15, 2008 at 3:29 AM Post #27 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by nikongod /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Last word was that it has been discontinued. I could be wrong, and hope that i am, but i dont think i am.

Just FYI, I'm told that the SR71 will be available again in 40 days as per an email reply I received from raysamuelsaudio.com on June 13, '08. I surmise that'd be sometime late July or the 1st few weeks of August.

Jun 15, 2008 at 4:05 AM Post #28 of 41
Quote:

haha "butt from which end"....

Are there anymore opinions about these two amps? It seems that a lot of people praise both, and I'm sure they're both great amps. Is the SR-71 a little too big to carry around with you for a portable?

The very first headphone amp I had the pleasure to have known was the RSA 'Tomahawk.' I loved everything about it. The magical sound, the battery life, and of course the portability. I have since parted with my little Tommy, and now I own an 'SR-71' - it is not anywhere near as portable as the 'Tomahawk' was, some people even agree that it isn't even portable at all, but transportable. All I know is that when I plugged the Blackbird in and listened to it I was not even thinking about portability. To be honest with you I wasn't thinking about anything. I was completely floored by the sound I was hearing. I gladly tote that wonderful little gem everywhere I go, portability be damned. Please understand too that I have never heard a 'Predator.' But I have heard incredible things about it. And I would bet my 'SR-71' that they are all true! LONG LIVE RAY SAMUELS!!!!

Jun 15, 2008 at 8:41 AM Post #29 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by WaxMan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The very first headphone amp I had the pleasure to have known was the RSA 'Tomahawk.' I loved everything about it. The magical sound, the battery life, and of course the portability. I have since parted with my little Tommy, and now I own an 'SR-71' - it is not anywhere near as portable as the 'Tomahawk' was, some people even agree that it isn't even portable at all, but transportable. All I know is that when I plugged the Blackbird in and listened to it I was not even thinking about portability. To be honest with you I wasn't thinking about anything. I was completely floored by the sound I was hearing. I gladly tote that wonderful little gem everywhere I go, portability be damned. Please understand too that I have never heard a 'Predator.' But I have heard incredible things about it. And I would bet my 'SR-71' that they are all true! LONG LIVE RAY SAMUELS!!!!

It seems that many people have heard one or the other, with very few having direct comparisons between the two. People seem to rave about both, but there have to be things that separate the two. Some good comparisons in this thread though...I still can't decide which to go for.

Jun 15, 2008 at 11:14 AM Post #30 of 41
Quote:

Are there any ideas on when the SR-71 will be available?

In Japanese forums and blogs, they are talking about "SR-71A" as successor of SR-71.

They said:
  1. Enhanced sound quality.
  2. Renewed chassis, circuit, components.
  3. More pricey.
  4. Limited production volume.
  5. Ray will announce it sometime soon.

I don't know whether it is true or not. But in certain Japanese blog, the blogger wrote "Ray has confirmed that SR-71A is in the works".

Users who are viewing this thread

Back