Predator vs. Pico?
Feb 20, 2008 at 9:24 AM Post #376 of 451
Quote:

Originally Posted by jamato8 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The bass continues to mature and will amaze even if you think it is good now.

While comparing Pico and Predator with the E500 I simply find bass lines and the sound of the acoustic instruments more correct and realistic with the Predator, but if you listen to other kind of music you may prefer the Pico.

I'm not analysing if the bass is good or bad I'm just listening the two dacs and I have the impressions that the biggest difference between the two it's in the way the mid bass is integrated in the reproduction.

Pico sounds VERY GOOD but in the sinergy with the E500 there is a little emphasis in the mid bass that I don't like (you can hear it well, very well in the piano reproduction) but can be perfect with other headphones.

Feb 20, 2008 at 9:50 AM Post #377 of 451
Quote:

The bass continues to mature and will amaze even if you think it is good now.

Seconded! Developing and maturing RSA Predator is an amazing journey. I am very happy I had a chance to take it, I have learned A LOT of what Head-Fi is all about. My Predator is only about 600 hours now, so I anticipate some more revelations.

Feb 20, 2008 at 7:02 PM Post #378 of 451
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
with maybe not as much current for driving Grados, but otherwise just as enjoyable. .

I do not have a lot of experience with other Grado models, but my GS 1000 sounded surprisingly good on the Predator with about 250 hrs. I am surprised that the predator seems to be able to drive the GS1k at ease. I cannot wait till it gets 1000 hrs.

Feb 20, 2008 at 7:12 PM Post #379 of 451
The current that the Predator can provide is sufficient for many headphones. I find the amp/dac enjoyable besides the fine music because of the way it matures. It, as stated, is like a journey but one that is rewarding and fun.

Feb 20, 2008 at 7:26 PM Post #380 of 451
Quote:

The current that the Predator can provide is sufficient for many headphones. I find the amp/dac enjoyable besides the fine music because of the way it matures. It, as stated, is like a journey but one that is rewarding and fun.

where would the Predator fit in your amp rankings?

Feb 20, 2008 at 11:48 PM Post #381 of 451
It becomes like different excellent flavors of the same meal. It is like different venues with slightly different acoustical attributes. The Predator is right at the top, just like fine cooking, the cream floats to the top but sometimes takes a while.

Feb 21, 2008 at 12:03 AM Post #382 of 451
Quote:

It becomes like different excellent flavors of the same meal. It is like different venues with slightly different acoustical attributes. The Predator is right at the top, just like fine cooking, the cream floats to the top but sometimes takes a while.

How do you rank the Pico?

Feb 21, 2008 at 12:09 AM Post #383 of 451
I have never heard it. Send me one. :^)

Feb 22, 2008 at 5:16 AM Post #385 of 451
I'm still amassing play time on the new Pico I have on loan, and since I have found that it's sound has been changing I can't yet determine what it's signature is. At zero hours it was bright, sparkly, bass lean, rather open with some nice separation and dimension to instruments, though some noise or grit throughout, especially from the mids on up.

At around 70 hours it suddenly got very warm with increasing bass energy and a smoother, cleaner top end, but now at around 90 hours it seems a bit too thick or syrupy with the top end somewhat softened. At this point in the curve it's lost the sparkle and some of the spaciousness it started with. Though it lost the fatiguing brightness, it's still not quite right. It'll be fun following its progress. I definitely didn't find it wonderful out of the box, and absolutely do not find it to be "unchanging". I'd guess that those who hear no changes have very forgiving ears indeed. Must make life much easier. My fussy ear/brain combo makes me tense when an instrument in an orchestra is slightly off-key. I guess I'm just a natural-born fuss budget (no, I'm not related to Lucy Van Pelt... as far as I know...)

The now 1200+ hour Predator loaner still seems to be evolving a bit, though it certainly sounds very good already. It's very extended from bottom to top, wide and deep, has a spectral balance very much to my liking with a more neutral character as compared to the mid-burn Pico (which currently seems as warm as my very original, unit #20, un-modded Hornet sounded), though the Predator imparts excellent weight and substance, as well as natural warmth, to instruments.

I wish it were possible to compare their DACs, but since both lack line out options it's not meant to be.

I'll post thorough comments when I feel my listening notes are up to it.

Feb 22, 2008 at 6:05 AM Post #386 of 451
Quote:

Originally Posted by Romanee /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm still amassing play time on the new Pico I have on loan, and since I have found that it's sound has been changing I can't yet determine what it's signature is. At zero hours it was bright, sparkly, bass lean, rather open with some nice separation and dimension to instruments, though some noise or grit throughout, especially from the mids on up.

At around 70 hours it suddenly got very warm with increasing bass energy and a smoother, cleaner top end, but now at around 90 hours it seems a bit too thick or syrupy with the top end somewhat softened. At this point in the curve it's lost the sparkle and some of the spaciousness it started with. Though it lost the fatiguing brightness, it's still not quite right. It'll be fun following its progress. I definitely didn't find it wonderful out of the box, and absolutely do not find it to be "unchanging". I'd guess that those who hear no changes have very forgiving ears indeed. Must make life much easier. My fussy ear/brain combo makes me tense when an instrument in an orchestra is slightly off-key. I guess I'm just a natural-born fuss budget (no, I'm not related to Lucy Van Pelt... as far as I know...)

The now 1200+ hour Predator loaner still seems to be evolving a bit, though it certainly sounds very good already. It's very extended from bottom to top, wide and deep, has a spectral balance very much to my liking with a more neutral character as compared to the mid-burn Pico (which currently seems as warm as my very original, unit #20, un-modded Hornet sounded), though the Predator imparts excellent weight and substance, as well as natural warmth, to instruments.

I wish it were possible to compare their DACs, but since both lack line out options it's not meant to be.

Thank you for the evaluation, very interesting.

Feb 22, 2008 at 6:47 AM Post #387 of 451
Quote:

I'd guess that those who hear no changes have very forgiving ears indeed.

or those hearing substantial changes have very imaginative ears and brains.
tongue.gif

audio impressions are such a subjective pickle.

Feb 22, 2008 at 7:12 AM Post #388 of 451
Quote:

I does change, and after a while gains all the details back while staying liquidly smooth, bass tightens up as well. Justin prefers to stay clear from such a controversial thing like burn-in, and it's not only in case with Pico, he also refrained from giving any personal recommendation on the amount of required burn-in hours for GS-1 when I asked him. Doesn't mean that Headamp products do not change with burn-in, just his position as a manufacturer.

Feb 22, 2008 at 7:13 AM Post #389 of 451
Quote:

Originally Posted by 909 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
or those hearing substantial changes have very imaginative ears and brains.
tongue.gif

audio impressions are such a subjective pickle.

I have a wonderful imagination.

Nonetheless, the sudden change from Sparkly, bright, noisy and bass-lean to warm, Rich, deep, clean and soft -- well, I'd have to be on magic mushrooms to be imagining that. No I don't do -- well, my drugs of choice are Claritin and Aleve -- and Sleepytime Tea.

Anyway, that shift was too drastic to be subjective. Well … I suppose you might call anything subjective, and in a way everything perceived and expressed is subjective -- including the allegedly scientific "psychoacoustic" chestnut -- and pretty much most if not all of this human experience.

Feb 22, 2008 at 7:15 AM Post #390 of 451
BTW -- I love Justin's AE-2 and was sort of expecting at least a somewhat similar sound (love that alliteration) -- but the Pico is very different.

Oops -- forgot -- Pico is early/mid-"burn in". I expect -- as noted a few posts above -- that it will develop more.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back