Predator Amps overpriced or worth it?
Sep 9, 2008 at 11:15 AM Post #61 of 85
Quote:

Originally Posted by tomjtx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Exactly, Bose is not overpriced, by definition because they sell a lot of product.

In my estimation it's not a matter of amount of product sold that defines whether a product is overpriced or not. That's simply good marketing. I think it should be defined more in terms of how the product actually compares in quality (of sound, build, whatever) to it's competitors. Can you get the same thing for less? Do other similarly priced products outdo it? etc.

So keeping in mind what I've said most people around these parts feel you can get much better quality from similarly priced products than those offered by Bose so yes, Bose would be considered overpriced for what you get.

Sep 9, 2008 at 3:33 PM Post #62 of 85
Quote:

Originally Posted by elnero /img/forum/go_quote.gif
In my estimation it's not a matter of amount of product sold that defines whether a product is overpriced or not. That's simply good marketing. I think it should be defined more in terms of how the product actually compares in quality (of sound, build, whatever) to it's competitors. Can you get the same thing for less? Do other similarly priced products outdo it? etc.

So keeping in mind what I've said most people around these parts feel you can get much better quality from similarly priced products than those offered by Bose so yes, Bose would be considered overpriced for what you get.

Yes... i totally agree with u.

for example AKG K1000 may not sell much ..but it doesnt mean they are overpriced..they are just a niche product.

BOSE: Buy Other Sound Equipment not meant for this thread...bose dont need an amp.

so lets talk about Predators line of amps

Sep 9, 2008 at 4:23 PM Post #63 of 85
Quote:

Originally Posted by elnero /img/forum/go_quote.gif

We are arguing about the definition of words rather than substance.
I agree that Bose offers terible value. But in economic theory it would be incorrect to say that it is overpriced in relation to the market. Again , by definition, Bose would have to sell poorly to be "overpriced"

I wholeheartedly agree that Bose SQ is not directionally proportionate to it's price. It's success is based on marketing and the general publics unfortunate inexpeience of good sound.

Sep 10, 2008 at 9:34 PM Post #65 of 85
Quote:

Originally Posted by tomjtx /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I wholeheartedly agree that Bose SQ is not directionally proportionate to it's price. It's success is based on marketing and the general publics unfortunate inexpeience of good sound.

Aha! Then deception, dishonesty and preying on ignorance gives the Bose product the high price.

If that is so, and societies depend on truth, honesty and the like to flourish...the laws we have are an indication of the needs for openness and honesty...what Bose is doing should not be done...not that it is limited to Bose only...and in all rights Bose should not be charging the price they do.

Sep 10, 2008 at 10:34 PM Post #66 of 85
Quote:

Originally Posted by BigTony /img/forum/go_quote.gif
PS actual cost has pretty much no bearing on the sale price.

call me an idiot, but i don't understand this statement.

Sep 11, 2008 at 3:41 AM Post #67 of 85
Quote:

Originally Posted by lewislink /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Aha! Then deception, dishonesty and preying on ignorance gives the Bose product the high price.

If that is so, and societies depend on truth, honesty and the like to flourish...the laws we have are an indication of the needs for openness and honesty...what Bose is doing should not be done...not that it is limited to Bose only...and in all rights Bose should not be charging the price they do.

If only the world were so perfect :)

Remember that there are many people who think Bose sounds great and think Bose represents good value.
Should society prevent those people from buying what they like?
A capitalistic society is indeed imperfect, but, IMO, it is less imperfect than the alternatives.

Sep 11, 2008 at 4:52 AM Post #68 of 85
Re: the comments on overpriced vs. poor value

Bose may sell a lot of product for the price they ask, but that doesn't help me at all in deciding whether I should spend my hard-earned cash on their equipment. If I had to guess, I'd say the OP is probably more concerned with whether the Predator's price is worth the SQ it provides than with whether its pricing makes business sense...

Sep 11, 2008 at 9:19 PM Post #69 of 85
Quote:

Originally Posted by aluren /img/forum/go_quote.gif
call me an idiot, but i don't understand this statement.

Smart pricing sells products for what the market will bear, which has nothing to do with product cost. Now it may mean that if your product costs a lot to produce, but will sell for little, that it's not economically viable to produce that product, at least for long, but just because a product can be manufactured cheaply does not mean that it should sell for a low price if the market values it highly.

Think of something like a concert where Joe Blow can play the same venue and cover costs at $20 a ticket, but someone like AC/DC can sell the same ticket for $120. The production cost of the product is the same, but the market will bear a much higher price for AC/DC (or whatever band you really like and would pay a premium to see) and thus a smart vendor will adjust the price accordingly to maximize profits.

i.e. it doesn't really matter if the Predator costs $5 or $450 to build if the market values it at $475, that's the proper price point to maximize profits.

Sep 11, 2008 at 11:11 PM Post #70 of 85
Quote:

Originally Posted by LnxPrgr3 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Re: the comments on overpriced vs. poor value

...If I had to guess, I'd say the OP is probably more concerned with whether the Predator's price is worth the SQ it provides than with whether its pricing makes business sense...

And that is something only a personal listening can tell. A poll has got to be unhelpful, really.

Resale value holds very well (i.e. the "market" says it is not overpriced), so there is no reason not to take a try, unless the cost is totally out of line with your budget, in which case the question sortof answers itself.

But I think it is a terribly silly question. Of course if you can afford it and you try it and are happy with the sound and features, then it is quite well worth it. Otherwise, not.

For me, it is overpriced. Not because it isn't worth the money in an abstract way (business sense-wise, I'm sure it is a great value for the $$), but rather because I just can't justify spending that kind of money on a headphone amp right now. I found the iBasso Boa priced just right for my budget and I'm happy with the increase in sq it gives me - especially as DAC out of my laptop - so it has found a place in my heart. The Predator (or Pico) may very well be a higher quality product. But I don't need "the best."

Sep 11, 2008 at 11:22 PM Post #71 of 85
Quote:

Originally Posted by DaMavs /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Smart pricing sells products for what the market will bear, which has nothing to do with product cost. Now it may mean that if your product costs a lot to produce, but will sell for little, that it's not economically viable to produce that product, at least for long, but just because a product can be manufactured cheaply does not mean that it should sell for a low price if the market values it highly.

Think of something like a concert where Joe Blow can play the same venue and cover costs at $20 a ticket, but someone like AC/DC can sell the same ticket for $120. The production cost of the product is the same, but the market will bear a much higher price for AC/DC (or whatever band you really like and would pay a premium to see) and thus a smart vendor will adjust the price accordingly to maximize profits.

i.e. it doesn't really matter if the Predator costs $5 or $450 to build if the market values it at $475, that's the proper price point to maximize profits.

i see your point. i was thinking more of cost in the literal sense... in your example, Joe Blow will not sell tickets at $15 since he had to have priced the tickets above cost, which is $20... and even for AC/DC, the $120 they priced will have some bearing on the $20, which is what it cost them. no prudent person goes into business to lose money...

maximizing profits, on the other hand, i perfectly agree with you. but i still think that any business will have to first determine cost before they can even think of setting a price, a targeted market, etc...

Sep 13, 2008 at 10:12 AM Post #72 of 85
hey guys, these are probably dumb questions.. But here goes..

What is the difference between the Pico's 24/96 DAC and the Predator's DAC?

And is there anywhere, that I can compare their sizes?

Sep 13, 2008 at 11:44 PM Post #73 of 85
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tensa /img/forum/go_quote.gif
hey guys, these are probably dumb questions.. But here goes..

What is the difference between the Pico's 24/96 DAC and the Predator's DAC?

And is there anywhere, that I can compare their sizes?

There have been many posts stating that the Pico has a superior DAC than the
predator.

Sep 14, 2008 at 2:22 AM Post #74 of 85
I voted totally worth it. And I don't even use the DAC (ducks at the incoming tomatoes). Makes all my headphones perform way better than straight out of the iPod I own...

Sep 24, 2008 at 4:25 PM Post #75 of 85
I've taken a look at what's inside the Predator and quite frankly the parts don't justify the $475 cost. The only things on the PCBs inside of its custom pre-fabricated case besides what is seen from the outside are two or three capacitors, some smd resistors, some blanked out/nail polished ICs, and an iPod 3G replacement battery (the exact one sold here.)

However, with all the features it has compared to other portable amps in the market and considering how much audiophiles would pay for certain things (e.g. audio/power cables, wooden blocks, paper) to achieve optimum sound quality, I'd say it's priced fairly. A lot of time and research had been spent in developing the Predator, so those must be taken into consideration as well. There's definitely a large profit margin for each unit sold, but every other manufacturer catering to audiophiles receive similar margins so there's nothing to be surprised about.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back