Predator Amps overpriced or worth it?
Sep 5, 2008 at 4:26 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 85

Nocturnal310

Headphoneus Supremus
What do u think?

i went to out try some Amps for my HD555... the Predator did power them the best..i mean the Sound was balanced out unlike others which emphasized the Bass or the Harsh high.

But the Predator was like $600... and others were around $200.

Do u think Predator is overpriced or Worth the money?

Sep 5, 2008 at 8:33 PM Post #2 of 85
When I was shopping from an amp, reading the reviews and such, it seemed like the Preds didn't top the 2Moves by much SQ-wise. However, it's smaller and has a built in battery. So, it depends on you, obviously. If uber-portability is worth $300+ to you, then go for the Preds.

Sep 6, 2008 at 12:15 AM Post #7 of 85
When I owned a Pico I thought it was substantially better than the Predator. Especially the Pico's upsampling dac that's what really sets it apart.

Honestly for people looking at the Predator if they don't mind the bigger case I'd suggest looking at the HeadRoom Total Bithead uses the same usb reciever/dac chip and I believe the same op-amp used in the output stage.

Sep 6, 2008 at 12:47 AM Post #8 of 85
Yes, but probably worth it. I own one and a headroom micro portable. The DAC is better I think in the headroom but the Predator has a better sound. I don't like either as well as iQube.

Sep 6, 2008 at 1:14 AM Post #9 of 85
There are a few things to consider when comparing the Predator to other amps and amp/dacs. If you don't like the sound, obviously it's not worth it. I haven't compared it directly to a desktop amp, but it definitely sounds better than the iMod>Hornet combo I used to have. And whereas I returned the 2007 Headroom Microstack because I found it fatiguing to my ears, the Predator is punchy and full bodied without ever sounding edgy. And while I haven't had a desktop amp to compare it to myself, other reviewers have said it sounds more like a desktop than any portable they've heard so far.

But assuming it doesn't sound that much better than the Move2 or something else that's less expensive, what else does it have to offer? For one thing, a built in rechargeable battery which holds a 50 hour charge (or something like that). I've never run out of battery yet, even though I've left it on over night a few times. It also has a lifetime warranty from Ray Samuels. That was a big deal for me.

Finally, there's the customer service. I ordered mine on a Wednesday, and had it in hand the following Monday, even though my Paypal e-check hadn't even cleared yet. So maybe you can get equal or almost equal sound for less, but you can't get the same level of convenience and service imho.

Sep 6, 2008 at 1:39 AM Post #10 of 85
Quote:

Originally Posted by mcmyers /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There are a few things to consider when comparing the Predator to other amps and amp/dacs. If you don't like the sound, obviously it's not worth it. I haven't compared it directly to a desktop amp, but it definitely sounds better than the iMod>Hornet combo I used to have. And whereas I returned the 2007 Headroom Microstack because I found it fatiguing to my ears, the Predator is punchy and full bodied without ever sounding edgy. And while I haven't had a desktop amp to compare it to myself, other reviewers have said it sounds more like a desktop than any portable they've heard so far.

But assuming it doesn't sound that much better than the Move2 or something else that's less expensive, what else does it have to offer? For one thing, a built in rechargeable battery which holds a 50 hour charge (or something like that). I've never run out of battery yet, even though I've left it on over night a few times. It also has a lifetime warranty from Ray Samuels. That was a big deal for me.

Finally, there's the customer service. I ordered mine on a Wednesday, and had it in hand the following Monday, even though my Paypal e-check hadn't even cleared yet. So maybe you can get equal or almost equal sound for less, but you can't get the same level of convenience and service imho.

There's no doubt about the service at RSA, top notch, but for an amp that has a useless DAC in it for portable rigs, it's way over priced, in my opinion. There should be an option similar to the Headroom Pico option of not including the DAC if not needed. For those of us who will never connect a PC or other compatible device to a amp/DAC setup, it's a total waste of money.

The amp, alone, is probably one of the best there is but I don't need the useless DAC and would be paying accordingly were I to purchase one.

Sep 6, 2008 at 1:40 AM Post #11 of 85
Quote:

Originally Posted by BigEat /img/forum/go_quote.gif
...worth it...Predator has a better sound. I don't like either as well as iQube.

x2. Predator sound is great, worth the money. iQube is just a tad better SQ, but larger and heavier. I have both: iMod+iQube for the gym, and also at home when I am not near the home rig; i7+Predator for maximum "smallness" when on the road, especially air travel.

Battery life on the Predator is amazing, and it can drive beyer 880/600 Ohm!

Sep 6, 2008 at 2:03 AM Post #12 of 85
Well, yeah, it's definitely overpriced if you don't want a DAC. But it's not useless if you want to listen primarily out of a laptop (which is what I do, either in my living room, basement, or bedroom). And it's also not useless if you want substantially better sound than an amped iPod. I've plugged my Predator into my laptop and the line out of my Ipod simultaneously and switched back and forth on the same song. The Predator DAC has significantly better soundstage and detail than the amped iPod.

Quote:

Originally Posted by lewislink /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There's no doubt about the service at RSA, top notch, but for an amp that has a useless DAC in it for portable rigs, it's way over priced, in my opinion. There should be an option similar to the Headroom Pico option of not including the DAC if not needed. For those of us who will never connect a PC or other compatible device to a amp/DAC setup, it's a total waste of money.

The amp, alone, is probably one of the best there is but I don't need the useless DAC and would be paying accordingly were I to purchase one.

Sep 6, 2008 at 2:23 AM Post #13 of 85
Quote:

I voted yes because an integrated DAC does nothing for a portable rig.

Quote:

but for an amp that has a useless DAC in it for portable rigs...

Why do you say this? If you are using a laptop as a portable source (airport, airplane, sometimes office, sometimes home) then how is it worthless for portable rigs?

If this is true, then the Bithead and Pico w/Dac would fall into the same category.

Sep 6, 2008 at 2:27 AM Post #14 of 85
Quote:

Originally Posted by tkam /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Honestly for people looking at the Predator if they don't mind the bigger case I'd suggest looking at the HeadRoom Total Bithead uses the same usb reciever/dac chip and I believe the same op-amp used in the output stage.

Is this fact? If so, I ought to start using my Headroom amp more often.

Sep 6, 2008 at 2:29 AM Post #15 of 85
I never regretted purchasing the Predator. It sounds great and it does the job.

Worth every cent I paid for it
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back