Predator Amps overpriced or worth it?
Sep 6, 2008 at 3:38 PM Post #46 of 85
It's what makes Head-Fi...Head-Fi. Otherwise we would just be another AudioAsylum.

You look at articles written by Jon Atkinson and Wes Phillips differently, when you shake their hand, whether you believe in their assessments or not.

Meeting and drinking with Tyll, however is a different beast
confused_face_2.gif

Sep 6, 2008 at 5:51 PM Post #47 of 85
Sorry guys, I have a problem w/ the word "overpriced". It's fair to ask if you think an item is *worth* the asking price, but unless you actually have the knowledge & ability to make a similar product it's an inappropriate term to use. Cost is a combination time, parts, & labor. How much is 'your' time worth? Is Ray a jetsetter ? Probably not. You can always go the other way & only deal w/ other "hobbyists". While they may be very talented & well meaning you may be at the the mercy of what is convient for them.

Sep 6, 2008 at 6:12 PM Post #48 of 85
Wouldn't the designation "overpriced" be determined by the marketplace?

If the Predator or the Pico, for example, were overpriced then they wouldn't sell well.

Both the Pred and Pico sell quite well so by definition they are not overpriced,
right?

Sep 6, 2008 at 11:18 PM Post #49 of 85
I don't have one, I really want one. But from what I have heard it is totally worth it, I even believe Stereophile Mag gave it kudos saying it was worth the money. (don't quote me...)

Sep 6, 2008 at 11:36 PM Post #50 of 85
Most everything on the Predator is custom made from the case, silk screening, anodizing, volume control and then all of the RD and mil spec boards. All of this stuff is getting more and more costly. And then you have a manufacture that stands behind what he makes and is easy to contact. What is too costly is something that is supposed to be quality, breaks, isn't repaired or can't be repaired, contact with the manufacture is poor and knowing you just threw your money down the toilet.

Sep 6, 2008 at 11:57 PM Post #51 of 85
Quote:

Originally Posted by jamato8 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Most everything on the Predator is custom made from the case, silk screening, anodizing, volume control and then all of the RD and mil spec boards. All of this stuff is getting more and more costly. And then you have a manufacture that stands behind what he makes and is easy to contact. What is too costly is something that is supposed to be quality, breaks, isn't repaired or can't be repaired, contact with the manufacture is poor and knowing you just threw your money down the toilet.

I highly doubt there's much of any R&D in the Predator, for the dac section it's a direct copy of the schematic for the pcm2704 evaluation board.

Sep 7, 2008 at 12:17 AM Post #52 of 85
go ahead and get one.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jordanross /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't have one, I really want one. But from what I have heard it is totally worth it, I even believe Stereophile Mag gave it kudos saying it was worth the money. (don't quote me...)

Sep 7, 2008 at 12:22 AM Post #53 of 85
I'm reading this thread with a lot of interest.

I currently have a Corda XXS, and love it to bits. However, I planned on stepping up to a predator when I finish upgrading my IEM/headphones, and am currently pondering just how much would an improvement over the XXS would a predator be?

Sep 8, 2008 at 7:35 AM Post #54 of 85
Quote:

Originally Posted by tomjtx /img/forum/go_quote.gif

If the Predator or the Pico, for example, were overpriced then they wouldn't sell well.

Both the Pred and Pico sell quite well so by definition they are not overpriced,
right?

If we're going to get analytical then "sell quite well" needs to be defined.

Sep 8, 2008 at 2:06 PM Post #55 of 85
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nocturnal310 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What do u think?

i went to out try some Amps for my HD555... the Predator did power them the best..i mean the Sound was balanced out unlike others which emphasized the Bass or the Harsh high.

But the Predator was like $600... and others were around $200.

Do u think Predator is overpriced or Worth the money?

If you don't have the money, it's a moot point for you.

Assuming that you do have the money and just want to decide if you reach the point of diminishing returns before the Predator... do you want sound that really pleases you or just something that is ok? Keep in mind that a difference that obvious on first listen will only magnify itself as you live with it over time.

Sep 8, 2008 at 5:26 PM Post #56 of 85
Quote:

Originally Posted by tomjtx /img/forum/go_quote.gif

right?

not to draw any comparisons, but...

BOSE

Sep 8, 2008 at 10:22 PM Post #58 of 85
Quote:

Originally Posted by dvessel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
^ insightful comment.

Actually, it was...
biggrin.gif

Sep 9, 2008 at 4:18 AM Post #59 of 85
Quote:

Originally Posted by erasmus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
not to draw any comparisons, but...

BOSE

Exactly, Bose is not overpriced, by definition because they sell a lot of product.

If their product were priced so high their sales went down then they would be overpriced.

Now , if you are talking about whether Bose offers good value for the SQ it delivers, that is entirely a different matter.

The Predator is not overpriced if RSA is selling the amount of Predators it wants to sell. Again, by definition of the meaning of overpriced.

Perhaps the OP meant to ask if the Predator represents good value for it's price.

Sep 9, 2008 at 4:56 AM Post #60 of 85
If we're asking about value then it becomes subjective as each of us has sees value differently.

I personally think that the Predator (or the Pico for that matter) is not good value for it's price but hey many others seem to think so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back