Predator Amps overpriced or worth it?
Sep 25, 2008 at 12:02 AM Post #76 of 85
Quote:

Originally Posted by zmorris /img/forum/go_quote.gif
but every other manufacturer catering to audiophiles receive similar margins so there's nothing to be surprised about.

Have a look inside the Pico and please post your comments.

Sep 25, 2008 at 3:02 AM Post #77 of 85
Have a look in a Manley Steelhead and show me $7500 worth of parts and R&D.

Sep 25, 2008 at 12:06 PM Post #78 of 85
Quote:

Originally Posted by immtbiker /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Have a look in a Manley Steelhead and show me $7500 worth of parts and R&D.

tongue_smile.gif

out_of_left_field_pb_lg.jpg

Sep 27, 2008 at 8:55 AM Post #80 of 85
I have really enjoyed my Predator both as a DAC and amp. The EAC (FLAC) > Foobar 2000 > ASIO4ALL combination sounds great. I use the line in amp section of the Predator with my docked iAudio X5 line out and the iAudio sounds WAY better than un-amped. So, I have been happy with it and feel that it is not overpriced.

Sep 30, 2008 at 9:10 PM Post #81 of 85
Have a look at the inside of an SR-71a.
Not knowing what 2x opamp + 2x buffer is used, I would say that I could prolly build one for around, oh, $300 with custom extruded case and laser engraving, and I would prolly ask, oh, $450 for my time, ideas, sourcing parts and R&D.
EDIT: I totally forgot about testing and customer exchange/refund policies, oh and shipping, on both sourcing parts and final product. This is assuming of course that this whole shebang is happnin in my garage/basement.
EDIT#2: Forgot, after finish and engraving the housing must be sent off for oven baking.

Oct 6, 2008 at 2:49 PM Post #82 of 85
Quote:

Originally Posted by LeftyGorilla /img/forum/go_quote.gif
And that is something only a personal listening can tell. A poll has got to be unhelpful, really.

Resale value holds very well (i.e. the "market" says it is not overpriced), so there is no reason not to take a try, unless the cost is totally out of line with your budget, in which case the question sortof answers itself.

But I think it is a terribly silly question. Of course if you can afford it and you try it and are happy with the sound and features, then it is quite well worth it. Otherwise, not.

For me, it is overpriced. Not because it isn't worth the money in an abstract way (business sense-wise, I'm sure it is a great value for the $$), but rather because I just can't justify spending that kind of money on a headphone amp right now. I found the iBasso Boa priced just right for my budget and I'm happy with the increase in sq it gives me - especially as DAC out of my laptop - so it has found a place in my heart. The Predator (or Pico) may very well be a higher quality product. But I don't need "the best."

We are on same page.

there are some guys selling Predator as well as Hornet.

the Predator has a much higher resale value if u compare with the original price.

i still stand by that its overpriced.. the sound quality is quite similar to Hornet except for the DAC.

the DAC also doesnt justify the price hence its sad.

i am also getting iBasso Boa tomorrow.

very excited!

Oct 12, 2008 at 4:51 AM Post #83 of 85
These $4-500 mini amp/dacs are overpriced in that they cost 'a lot', but I think that RSA and headamp are probably not rolling in heaps of money and laughing all the way to the bank with 300% profit margins, and so in the end the price is most likely very fair.

The products are finished to a very high level, hand built, and not made in huge production runs. These factors inevitably lead to a high dollar figure.

Consider the Meier Corda Cantate. $485, incl. shipping. Even comes in fancy case! The price is quite similar to the predator and pico, but how does the sound compare? I would guess that the size premium for the mini amp/dacs is quite a bit.

Oct 12, 2008 at 8:09 AM Post #84 of 85
Quote:

Originally Posted by vagarach /img/forum/go_quote.gif
These $4-500 mini amp/dacs are overpriced in that they cost 'a lot', but I think that RSA and headamp are probably not rolling in heaps of money and laughing all the way to the bank with 300% profit margins, and so in the end the price is most likely very fair.

The products are finished to a very high level, hand built, and not made in huge production runs. These factors inevitably lead to a high dollar figure.

Consider the Meier Corda Cantate. $485, incl. shipping. Even comes in fancy case! The price is quite similar to the predator and pico, but how does the sound compare? I would guess that the size premium for the mini amp/dacs is quite a bit.

Personally I wouldn't pay the extra premium for expensive amps if they don't sound its money's worth. RSA products are indeed very good but after a listen, they just don't justify their prices compared the Meier's 2Move, iBasso's D2 and etc. More expensive does not and will not always equal to better sound.

Oct 12, 2008 at 12:45 PM Post #85 of 85
I own the predator.
Drive a Pro750, or a K701, mainly using the DAC.
In this configuration the predator sounds very good, and is powerfull enough to let the K701 "speak". Its warm signature matches well the AKG cans.
As for the value for the money, well I find the RSA amps is kinda expensive, but in the end I'm very happy I spent the 500 bucks for it, and would do it again I think.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back