Precog's IEM Reviews & Impressions
Oct 5, 2023 at 12:45 AM Post #3,572 of 3,652
Hey, Precog. Will the Mirai prod unit be different from the one shown at CanJam, in terms of look/tuning?

Hey! Nothing about the tuning should be changed, the CanJam tuning was the final one. The shells will be the full green ones. I think we might be changing the cable that it was shown with, though.

graph (2).png

Dunu Mirai 5128 raw.jpg

Oct 5, 2023 at 1:48 AM Post #3,574 of 3,652
Hey! Nothing about the tuning should be changed, the CanJam tuning was the final one. The shells will be the full green ones. I think we might be changing the cable that it was shown with, though.

graph (2).png

Dunu Mirai 5128 raw.jpg

This is tempting me to sell my U12T. What only makes me hesitate is the large shell from the pics I saw. Usually, Dunu makes comfortable IEMs so I guess this will be one too.

Since this is also your collab, it kind of sucks that we won't hear your review on it. 😅

Oct 5, 2023 at 2:05 AM Post #3,577 of 3,652
Looking forward to the Mirai! I'm considering a Z1R next month but I don't want to risk the nightmarish fit, Mirai is something I'll heavily consider if it drops next month.

Oct 5, 2023 at 12:53 PM Post #3,578 of 3,652
Is it supposed to release before the end of the year?

Yes, it should be released before the end of the year :)

Hope Super Review will review it and compare to Supernova.

Yeah Mark will definitely get to hear it

This is tempting me to sell my U12T. What only makes me hesitate is the large shell from the pics I saw. Usually, Dunu makes comfortable IEMs so I guess this will be one too.

Since this is also your collab, it kind of sucks that we won't hear your review on it. 😅
mmmmm, what's the difference b/n the Mirai's FR and that's of U12t?

So I think a lot of people were expecting a 64A-esque tuning, but I ended up taking the Mirai in something of a different direction. The most significant distinctions compared to the U12t are the Mirai's peak coming back up at 4kHz (versus 5kHz on the U12t) and significantly more energy at ~8kHz where the U12t dips. This basically gives the Mirai some more bite in the upper-midrange and more of a focus on sparkle in the treble. It also won't sound as bass-y even if they graph similarly in the bass region. Basically, they sound like very different IEMs in practice, and I wouldn't really think of the Mirai as being a U12t replacement. Hope this helps!

Oct 5, 2023 at 2:19 PM Post #3,579 of 3,652
This was really interesting for me, as I heard it at the show and didn't hear anywhere near that much air... but importantly, I was using different tips.

If anyone's worried about the air, might just take some tip rolling to get into a spot you find comfy. I'm a total treble-let and even I got the air to a comfy enough spot for this to be my favorite IEM of SoCal CanJam.

headphones.com Stay updated on headphones.com at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.headphones.com/ andrew@headphones.com
Oct 5, 2023 at 2:23 PM Post #3,580 of 3,652
This was really interesting for me, as I heard it at the show and didn't hear anywhere near that much air... but importantly, I was using different tips.

If anyone's worried about the air, might just take some tip rolling to get into a spot you find comfy. I'm a total treble-let and even I got the air to a comfy enough spot for this to be my favorite IEM of SoCal CanJam.
How is the bass quality on Mirai, and its resolution/staging?

Oct 5, 2023 at 3:29 PM Post #3,581 of 3,652
How is the bass quality on Mirai, and its resolution/staging?
Keeping in mind that off hand I actually don't remember the driver complement of Mirai...

...it sounded like a more textured, dynamic, and importantly coherent take on a bass presentation that would otherwise be reminiscent of the 64 Audio U4s.
The latter two were definitely what impressed me most about Mirai. It hits hard but cascades very coherently into the midrange proper (pretty uncommon with IEMs, in my experience).
So while it's ultimately going for a more rounded presentation than an uber-precise one, that's both my preference and something I think more people will prefer for daily-driving.
In short re: bass, I'd say "an obvious cut above U4s, but below something like Nightjar Duality" in terms of bass quality.

I confess I'm probably not the best person to ask about resolution and staging, as these are qualities that are very low on my list of things to index for (the latter frankly not even making an appearance for IEMs most times).
That being said, I never felt like any of the overtone information or timing cues were omitted with Mirai. In fact, because of the overall darker presentation (again, with the tips that I used), I found it to have much fewer frequency-masking issues than its competition.
By that I mean, IEMs tend to go for broke with everything the above 3kHz area very often (especially as you climb in price) ostensibly as a method of wringing more tech out of the IEM.
I find that this often has the opposite effect for me, and the excess treble actually masks details in the midrange and bass.

Hope that's helpful. YMMV and all that, ofc. But I was really surprised with Mirai, especially given Precog and I tend to have different tastes/takes on IEMs in general.

headphones.com Stay updated on headphones.com at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.headphones.com/ andrew@headphones.com
Oct 5, 2023 at 4:23 PM Post #3,582 of 3,652

So I think a lot of people were expecting a 64A-esque tuning, but I ended up taking the Mirai in something of a different direction. The most significant distinctions compared to the U12t are the Mirai's peak coming back up at 4kHz (versus 5kHz on the U12t) and significantly more energy at ~8kHz where the U12t dips. This basically gives the Mirai some more bite in the upper-midrange and more of a focus on sparkle in the treble. It also won't sound as bass-y even if they graph similarly in the bass region. Basically, they sound like very different IEMs in practice, and I wouldn't really think of the Mirai as being a U12t replacement. Hope this helps!

Hi Precog, was curious on your thoughts on how you would rank Volur in your list. I enjoy your list thoughts. :)

Ended up demo’ing it recently amongst a few other 64’s and came away with mixed feelings. It’s does seem pretty technically impressive, particularly in the mid range and bass department, but I find it’s tonality not quite as warm/bassy as I was hoping tbh, maybe even a bit too bright. I do think I prefer it over Nio though.

I think I ultimately prefer U4s and Trio tonality still. I was kinda hoping for a more technical U6t, as I really enjoy the tonality of that but U4s really shines over it imo.

On an unrelated note, you noted that Crimson may benefit from some more power; I have generally been source sceptic, I am curious if something like a more powerful dongle DAC such as Cayin R7/L&P W4 would matter? (or really anything with more then 150mW of output?)

I usually assumed if you had sufficient volume, that’d be all you’d need. Clearly the Apple dong struggles (it’s just too quiet for me, though it’s been great with U4s/U12t) but I am using a Paw S1 which seems to still push near its limits for my listening volume preference (95%) but still sufficient enough; would I be wasting money going for a more powerful one? 🤔

Also a Crimson and Singularity review at some point in the future would be something I would look forward to!

Smue

Oct 5, 2023 at 11:56 PM Post #3,584 of 3,652

Would you consider it a neutral, neutral-warm, or U-shaped set? It's not as bass-y but it's biodynamic DD compared to BA right?

I guess you can consider it a slightly different take on the same goal or target.

I read that this will be exclusive to headphones.com, is this going to be a limited run? PS. I hope it won't be.

Last edited:
Oct 6, 2023 at 2:38 PM Post #3,585 of 3,652

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back