Precog's IEM Reviews & Impressions
Aug 12, 2023 at 8:22 PM Post #3,466 of 3,652
People bashing Precog's music IEM taste takes me to the days I bashed people on Discogs for enjoying vocal trance which is widely considered to be cheesy by most of the trance community.

As I grew older, I came to realize that it's stupid to bash people's music tastes in general

Edit: I thought this was about Precog's music taste.

Last edited:
Aug 12, 2023 at 8:29 PM Post #3,467 of 3,652
To your last question, I'm not sure if I have any particularly spicy takes, but I'll point out that hobbies like audio are low-hanging fruit for flexing wealth and they promote echo chambers. This leads to many people feeling compelled to fit in by purchasing what others are purchasing or by sharing the same impressions. All this to say that I will often read impressions from others that I strongly disagree with. But when there's a consistency between their impressions, I can begrudgingly attribute it to a difference of taste. And I think therein lies the distinction: it's better to have trash taste than it is to not have taste at all and just parrot others' opinions.

Quite possibly the most truthful comment I have ever read on this forum, remember kids - don’t suckle from the teat of hype

Aug 13, 2023 at 9:39 AM Post #3,468 of 3,652
I also never really liked using the DX300 (I might have mentioned this before, but the main reason why I even purchased it was so that I could appear more 'official' as a reviewer).
Ha, that's a very pathetic confession. Sad, so sad!
Now I ask my self - did he praise the U12t so much since this was the 'official' move to grow? And others similar... Sad, so sad!

Last edited:
Aug 13, 2023 at 9:43 AM Post #3,469 of 3,652
People bashing Precog's music IEM taste takes me to the days I bashed people on Discogs for enjoying vocal trance which is widely considered to be cheesy by most of the trance community.

As I grew older, I came to realize that it's stupid to bash people's music tastes in general

Edit: I thought this was about Precog's music taste.
Or is it about the change of tastes diverting from what he had before? But it got clear that it was about looking 'official'

Aug 13, 2023 at 9:55 AM Post #3,470 of 3,652
Quite possibly the most truthful comment I have ever read on this forum, remember kids - don’t suckle from the teat of hype
Cross-reference as many sources as possible, and above all listen and compare whenever possible.

Two essential rules:

- you can't listen with other people's ears,
- Sacred Cows are only found in India...

🤟

Last edited:
Aug 13, 2023 at 1:39 PM Post #3,471 of 3,652
Ha, that's a very pathetic confession. Sad, so sad!
Now I ask my self - did he praise the U12t so much since this was the 'official' move to grow? And others similar... Sad, so sad!

Ah yes, I owned it for three years and wasted hundreds of hours listening to it all under the pretense of looking ‘official’ just like every other reviewer who enjoys the u12t 🤡

I wasn’t sure if I had any spicy takes, but it seems you have plenty to cover my share haha

Aug 13, 2023 at 3:14 PM Post #3,472 of 3,652
Ah yes, I owned it for three years and wasted hundreds of hours listening to it all under the pretense of looking ‘official’ just like every other reviewer who enjoys the u12t 🤡

I wasn’t sure if I had any spicy takes, but it seems you have plenty to cover my share haha
At the end, sound perception is subjective. I dont understand why people argue with Precog or why do they take his opinion on IEMs for so important. At the end it is his subjective opinion and does represent noting to you an me.

Everybody should build his own opinion over certain IEMs

For example i enjoy the crap out of Fiio FH7, it is the perfect IEM for me. I dont give a sh** if it is at 50th place on Precog list. I wouldn't touch U12t with a 10 feet pole, but this is me and not you.

Precog IEM ranking list represents his preferences and nothing more.

Aug 13, 2023 at 3:34 PM Post #3,473 of 3,652
When I joined this hobby couple of years back, I didnt know where to find a reference for a headphone or IEM. I simply didnt want to EQ any product I purchased, because if I did, for me defeated the purpose of buying it in the first place.

As I grew into this hobby, I learned more about what suits me in terms of musical preferences and what did not. Understanding frequency response (tonality) was to key to how and why it sounds the way it does. Design and technology (driver types/configuration) used within the IEMS/headphones had signficant impact on technicalities.

It was Crinacle at first, followed by Antdroid, Precog, Resolve, DMS and even aminus here at Headfi (the guy who hates everything and has a thread for himself pouring his heart out). Each of them have brought their own perspective to interpreting an IEM/headphone and I have found rarely that they have all agreed one product worked for them.

Did they influence my decision in buying a product ? Possibly.

Am I getting most out of what I have bought ? HELL YEAH !

You never ever need to blind buy any product. Everyone listed above to a large extent measures FR (frequency graphs) today and post those graphs for you to see and decide whether it suits your auditory preferences (bright, warm, dark and so on).

Aug 13, 2023 at 4:04 PM Post #3,474 of 3,652
Haha this would make a good video, but yeah, I can give some insight.

The main reason I sold the Helios is because the ergonomics were poor. I also never really liked using the DX300 (I might have mentioned this before, but the main reason why I even purchased it was so that I could appear more 'official' as a reviewer). Eventually I just stopped caring what people thought, and I have plenty of dongles which are more convenient, so off it went. The bottom line is that comfort and convenience will always supersede sound quality in the long-run unless someone considers themself a masochist. So that's probably the first consideration I make whenever making a purchase these days.

To answer your other question, I wouldn't sell the Diva even if it wasn't a CIEM, although sometimes I wish I purchased the UIEM instead (as it's a PIA cleaning CIEMs). It's one of my main IEMs, as it compliments the U4s in a lot of respects (specifically in the opposite approach to the upper-midrange). And a major purchase consideration I had was that the Diva would be future-proofed for at least the next several years. The way it is tuned is very difficult to replicate (specifically the unique bass rise and the mid-treble tuning). There's still nothing on the market that sounds like it or offers that type of tuning flexibility in a single package.

Along those lines, I look for products that 1) sound unique and 2) that are executed tastefully. The reality is that IEMs with 'conventional' tuning have been refined to a very high degree already and they appeal to a common denominator, one-size-fits-all audience. There are some outliers that are on another level (think the Subtonic Storm), but I don't really subscribe to the idea of a one-and-done IEM, which the Storm would have to be for most listeners given its cost.

I can only speak for myself, but I know that I enjoy a myriad of different sound signatures. It doesn't make sense for me to sink all my money into one IEM. Hence why I've diversified my collection with IEMs like the U4s and Diva which also offer variability via the Apex modules or the bass dial respectively. Add in the Supernova and these IEMs cover 80-90% of my listening needs. I don't really have any plans to buy any IEMs in the near future; if I were to remotely consider purchasing something, it would not only have to offer something unique, but it would also have to be a good value.

To your last question, I'm not sure if I have any particularly spicy takes, but I'll point out that hobbies like audio are low-hanging fruit for flexing wealth and they promote echo chambers. This leads to many people feeling compelled to fit in by purchasing what others are purchasing or by sharing the same impressions. All this to say that I will often read impressions from others that I strongly disagree with. But when there's a consistency between their impressions, I can begrudgingly attribute it to a difference of taste. And I think therein lies the distinction: it's better to have trash taste than it is to not have taste at all and just parrot others' opinions.

Plenty of people have trashed my taste. But these days, it's difficult for me to bother responding to those types of comments (you'll see that I used to try explaining myself; now I just slap back or make a joke out of it if I even respond haha). I have better things to do in this hobby like going to events/meetups, traveling, and hanging out with my audio buddies. Basically, stop caring so much about the gear and what others think, and you'll have more time to focus on experiences instead which will make you happier in the long run.

Hey, no, I haven't heard it yet!
Very mature and wise take - it helps to hear others' opinions and triangulate with people with similar musical/sonic tastes, but ultimately, the sound in your ears should prevail - not what anyone else thinks.

Aug 14, 2023 at 6:42 PM Post #3,475 of 3,652
All this to say that I will often read impressions from others that I strongly disagree with. But when there's a consistency between their impressions, I can begrudgingly attribute it to a difference of taste. And I think therein lies the distinction: it's better to have trash taste than it is to not have taste at all and just parrot others' opinions.

Hey man, I'm sorry your opinions are wrong. It's not me, its a you problem. I wish you had better ears like mine.

Aug 14, 2023 at 6:51 PM Post #3,476 of 3,652
Hey man, I'm sorry your opinions are wrong. It's not me, its a you problem. I wish you had better ears like mine.
There are reviewers, there are reviewers of free samples, and there are obnoxious reviewers.
I am happy that I stopped paying attention to all this crap and petty rivalry long time ago, especially in the context of another KZ drama by obnoxious reviewers...
Thank you for strongly reinforcing my opinion.

Aug 14, 2023 at 6:57 PM Post #3,477 of 3,652
There are reviewers, there are reviewers of free samples, and there are obnoxious reviewers.
I am happy that I stopped paying attention to all this crap and petty rivalry long time ago, especially in the context of another KZ drama by obnoxious reviewers...
Thank you for strongly reinforcing my opinion.

obviously, my sarcasm did not work. lol

precog and i are friends. he started reviewing on my blog years ago before headphones.com.

Aug 14, 2023 at 7:03 PM Post #3,478 of 3,652
obviously, my sarcasm did not work. lol

precog and i are friends. he started reviewing on my blog years ago before headphones.com.
Truly sorry, if I did not get the context of your message.
I do feel personally aggravated by a lot of reviewers...
The reviews are ideally helpful, but the fine line is getting thinner and thinner to me (obviously with my bias and my limitations).

Aug 14, 2023 at 7:05 PM Post #3,480 of 3,652
When I found out what Precog's favorite anime tracks were that's when I started to lose hope (/s if that wasn't clear)

no, this is actually the truth.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back