Precog's IEM Reviews & Impressions
Jul 23, 2023 at 9:29 PM Post #3,421 of 3,652
They target to more high end market, and if they do 3D Printed, they unable to do custom IEMs.
I think it is not the reason, 64 Audio use 3D printing for their CIEM.

Jul 23, 2023 at 10:39 PM Post #3,422 of 3,652
I think it is not the reason, 64 Audio use 3D printing for their CIEM.
It’s different, 64 does it only for the shell like all the western company. While they print out the whole structure, including the tube, driver placements and acoustic structure..

Jul 23, 2023 at 10:52 PM Post #3,423 of 3,652
I reckon what you're referring to is working with an OEM 3D printing company like Heygears who make the shell as well as internal tubing for Blessing2, Blessing3 and even Softears Volume.

Otherwise, most companies that are accepting of advancement of technology and can afford it, now 3D print their Universals as well as CIEMs. Even the ear impression STL files are processed in modelling software rather than by hand.

With that said and having reviewed most Moondrop and Softears IEMs, even though the nicest looking Moondrop IEM like the S8 is finished to perfection, which has a crystal clear transparent shell and you can't even find a single bubble in the resin, Softears stuff definitely has a better build, looks more high end and their RS10 has better technical performance for a similar tuned signature as the S8. Whether you'd want to spend 3 times that amount when S8 is already such a well built and tuned IEM totally depends on the weight of your wallet. :sweat_smile:

Another good thing about Softears is that they offer most of their IEMs as CIEMs, which Moondrop doesn't and Softears' CIEMs are very well built and have a very nice fit. I prefer my RS10 CIEM over all Moondrop and Softears IEMs for sound, fit as well as technical performance. :relaxed:
Yes, company like Softears, for example the RSV, they are fully 3D printed (tubing, internal structure and everything). But the CIEM model is handmade in internal. So I reckon that is not something that if they can use this 3D printed technology, is more likely they have different target audience. As you may aware Moondrop also offer the CIEM S8, for only 100 USD extra, while Softears charge way more than that.

Jul 25, 2023 at 5:15 AM Post #3,424 of 3,652
@Precogvision How would you compare the u4s and IER-Z1R? I’m interested in trying a 64 audio iem since they are pretty well rounded for multiple genres, and the u4s would be a pretty good choice thanks to the DD.
Not Precog but I love the U4s vs what I can remember from my brief time with the IER-Z1R. The bass with the M15 module is fantastic and the mids are way better. It might genuinely be my favorite tuning and the shell actually fits in human ears unlike the Z1R or the Maestro SE.

Jul 25, 2023 at 6:10 AM Post #3,425 of 3,652
Not Precog but I love the U4s vs what I can remember from my brief time with the IER-Z1R. The bass with the M15 module is fantastic and the mids are way better. It might genuinely be my favorite tuning and the shell actually fits in human ears unlike the Z1R or the Maestro SE.
😃 ... Z1R bass is unbeatable so far. Fit might be an issue for some/most but not for me! On the mids - it depends on the source. I never bought the U12t since I consider it overpriced for the package and FR and my trial with the U4s made me conclude that it is not anything special and lacks resolution for the price.

Jul 25, 2023 at 6:43 AM Post #3,426 of 3,652
The used market prices for the U12t are now more inline with what i would consider a good price/performance ratio. I bought mine for 1.200 EUR used.

Jul 25, 2023 at 12:59 PM Post #3,427 of 3,652
@Precogvision How would you compare the u4s and IER-Z1R? I’m interested in trying a 64 audio iem since they are pretty well rounded for multiple genres, and the u4s would be a pretty good choice thanks to the DD.

I think they're unique in their own ways. Like you said, the U4s is definitely better rounded. Aside from physically fitting better, it's just going to work with more genres and be more flexible with the Apex modules. If you want forward female vocals and sharper bass, though, then the IER-Z1R is the better option. They have pretty different presentations in terms of intangibles from memory. IER-Z1R is more grand sounding, it sounds more cavernous. U4s is not quite as grand sounding, but if you want to hear the trailing edges of vocals and reverb trails, then the U4s is a little more detailed as it has noticeably more energy past 15kHz.

Bottom line is that I think the U4s is the better option for most people. But if you know what you want, or are possibly listening to a specific subset of music, then the IER-Z1R can still come out on top.

Jul 27, 2023 at 2:34 AM Post #3,429 of 3,652
@Precogvision couldn’t find this online, but was wondering your thoughts on the u12t vs u18t? I have an opportunity to get them for roughly the same price used. Others’ thoughts are welcome as well!
U12t.

Jul 27, 2023 at 2:37 AM Post #3,430 of 3,652
Jul 27, 2023 at 7:41 AM Post #3,433 of 3,652
@Precogvision couldn’t find this online, but was wondering your thoughts on the u12t vs u18t? I have an opportunity to get them for roughly the same price used. Others’ thoughts are welcome as well!
Depends.

Tuning-wise U12t is neutral-sounding, while U18t is monitor-sounding. Most genres sound good on U12t, but synthetics shine on U18t. Mind that U18t has a hint of sibilance especially with sopranos.

Technichalities-wise U12t and U18t have similar resolution. U12t has an edge on dynamics, while U18t has apparently better soundstage and separation, if not among the flagships in the market.

Jul 27, 2023 at 11:14 AM Post #3,434 of 3,652
Hi there Jonathan, I've owned both and I can boil it down into 2 important metrics, and you can quantify from that.

Technicalities - This is a win for U18T as it is a more transparent and dynamically contrasted monitor. Be aware that it does not have LID tech so it can drastically change with different sources due to Output Impedance. Higher the OI, the warmer it gets (boosted midbass, reduced upper midrange). The bass is more textured, thicker in the midbass into the low mids, but there is a drop in impact of the sub bass vs U12T. I think U12T wins for satisfying bass overall.

Tonality/ Tuning - The U12T is objectively more forgiving due to the boosted bass shelf and smoother top end, which makes it easier on the ears and more versatile. Technical ability to me is definitely softer with less attack vs the U18T, but I enjoyed it a lot with the M12 module giving it a new life and a bit more snap. U12T is a bit on the softer side of midrange dynamics, but has nice bass for a BA and exceptional treble.

U18T will reward you for better sources and cable rolling; it may be silly, but it's true. It's one of the most reactive iem's to cable changes that I've tried. U18T scales with power, more damping factor really linearizes treble and cohesiveness to me (better layering and imaging), otherwise treble can be dominant and thin/ metallic.

If you plan to use a dongle or even just Apple dongle, U12T will sound better than U18T every time.

Audio-Technica Stay updated on Audio-Technica at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.audio-technica.com/
Jul 27, 2023 at 11:45 AM Post #3,435 of 3,652
Hi there Jonathan, I've owned both and I can boil it down into 2 important metrics, and you can quantify from that.

Technicalities - This is a win for U18T as it is a more transparent and dynamically contrasted monitor. Be aware that it does not have LID tech so it can drastically change with different sources due to Output Impedance. Higher the OI, the warmer it gets (boosted midbass, reduced upper midrange). The bass is more textured, thicker in the midbass into the low mids, but there is a drop in impact of the sub bass vs U12T. I think U12T wins for satisfying bass overall.

Tonality/ Tuning - The U12T is objectively more forgiving due to the boosted bass shelf and smoother top end, which makes it easier on the ears and more versatile. Technical ability to me is definitely softer with less attack vs the U18T, but I enjoyed it a lot with the M12 module giving it a new life and a bit more snap. U12T is a bit on the softer side of midrange dynamics, but has nice bass for a BA and exceptional treble.

U18T will reward you for better sources and cable rolling; it may be silly, but it's true. It's one of the most reactive iem's to cable changes that I've tried. U18T scales with power, more damping factor really linearizes treble and cohesiveness to me (better layering and imaging), otherwise treble can be dominant and thin/ metallic.

If you plan to use a dongle or even just Apple dongle, U12T will sound better than U18T every time.
Don't have plan to get u18t but nice to read owner's point of view and opinions. Thanks for sharing.
Anyway you got awesome collections, can you share little bit which one is your fave? Maybe best 3 and why? I've heard some of them and just want to know your impressions. Thanks again in advance

Users who are viewing this thread

Back