Precog's IEM Reviews & Impressions
Mar 25, 2023 at 4:23 PM Post #3,227 of 3,654
Last edited:
Mar 25, 2023 at 4:36 PM Post #3,228 of 3,654
Mar 25, 2023 at 4:55 PM Post #3,230 of 3,654
Its animus/aminus -- he is known to hate everything. His thread is called Aminus hates everything. https://www.head-fi.org/threads/aminus-hates-everything-or-aminus-rants-and-reviews-stuff.911048/
Just read Animus CanJam impressions. I found that he is not that consistent, besides disliking everything. I mean I get the points he dislikes, and I mostly agree with his points. But it’s hard to identify his benchmark or “taste”. I mean he railed on the anni, and then he says the Gaea is slightly warm? Warm? The gaea? Excuse me? :dt880smile:

Mar 25, 2023 at 9:15 PM Post #3,231 of 3,654
Its animus/aminus -- he is known to hate everything. His thread is called Aminus hates everything. https://www.head-fi.org/threads/aminus-hates-everything-or-aminus-rants-and-reviews-stuff.911048/

Its @antdroid ! Been long time

The U4s is really competitive at kilobuck price, interested how this will go head to head with sony IER-M9, THieaudio Monarch MkII, Symphonium Helios, and Elysian Diva.

Btw @Precogvision how is the bass quality compared to 64audio Tia Trio?

Last edited:
Mar 25, 2023 at 10:58 PM Post #3,232 of 3,654
Wow lots of comments, doing my best to play catch-up.

Price aside, Hows the U4 compares to the Meteor

Meteor is all about fun IMO. It's more colored, especially in the mid-bass; its treble response also peaks in areas that give timbre a more artificial, smoothed edge. I'd say the U4s is more reserved and balanced by comparison. It images better (presentation is more open) and is more detailed due to the cleaner bass response and the nature of its treble peaks (e.g. 5kHz peak vs. a recession in the same region for the Meteor). Also more flexible because of the Apex modules.

Hello! I was wondering.. Can Dark Sky compete U12t… with better DD bass and similar high-end extension, but less detail?

What is U12t S2(different atom module?) only U12t S2 and Dark sky follows dotted line very closely. What is this dotted line…A Precog Target?

I was checking Precog.squid.link.

Sorry for many Qs!

Hey, I didn't really care for the Dark Sky when I heard it. I don't think the treble extension on that IEM was comparable. The S(n) denotes separate sets that I've measured of the same model.

u4s looks interesting, but somehow i doubt it will be the top choice among the kilobuck IEMs for most people.
I'll come back in half a year and read impressions then, and maybe grab one used / b-stock to try myself :D

Yeah, I don't recommend buying anything in audio new. Time will tell, but I'm guessing the U4s will sit around $600-700 on the secondary market which would be a pretty nice grab.

Hi Precog, what camera and lens you use to take iem photo?

Right now, it's just the macro mode on the Ricoh GRIII. I'm honestly garbage at taking photos haha. My friend @Titanotron is going to be taking photos for me in some future reviews, though, and he has a crazy nice setup and is way more skilled.

Animus is a pretty good resource if anyone wants a counter opinion. For what it's worth, the general opinion on the U4s from the SG boys seems to be basically "it's okay" and I think most of them prefer the U3t/6t.

The U4s is really competitive at kilobuck price, interested how this will go head to head with sony IER-M9, THieaudio Monarch MkII, Symphonium Helios, and Elysian Diva.

Btw @Precogvision how is the bass quality compared to 64audio Tia Trio?

I think what makes it unique is that it's not entirely comparable to those other IEMs because its sound signature is so different.

The Tia Trio has better bass by conventional metrics. I'm inclined to believe that the notch at 1kHz on the Tia Trio gives it some nice extra control in the bass, similar to what one would observe with the standard 200Hz recession on the Harman target. It's just more subtle.

Mar 25, 2023 at 11:20 PM Post #3,233 of 3,654
Wow lots of comments, doing my best to play catch-up.

Meteor is all about fun IMO. It's more colored, especially in the mid-bass; its treble response also peaks in areas that give timbre a more artificial, smoothed edge. I'd say the U4s is more reserved and balanced by comparison. It images better (presentation is more open) and is more detailed due to the cleaner bass response and the nature of its treble peaks (e.g. 5kHz peak vs. a recession in the same region for the Meteor). Also more flexible because of the Apex modules.

Hey, I didn't really care for the Dark Sky when I heard it. I don't think the treble extension on that IEM was comparable. The S(n) denotes separate sets that I've measured of the same model.

Yeah, I don't recommend buying anything in audio new. Time will tell, but I'm guessing the U4s will sit around $600-700 on the secondary market which would be a pretty nice grab.

Right now, it's just the macro mode on the Ricoh GRIII. I'm honestly garbage at taking photos haha. My friend @Titanotron is going to be taking photos for me in some future reviews, though, and he has a crazy nice setup and is way more skilled.

Animus is a pretty good resource if anyone wants a counter opinion. For what it's worth, the general opinion on the U4s from the SG boys seems to be basically "it's okay" and I think most of them prefer the U3t/6t.

I think what makes it unique is that it's not entirely comparable to those other IEMs because its sound signature is so different.

The Tia Trio has better bass by conventional metrics. I'm inclined to believe that the notch at 1kHz on the Tia Trio gives it some nice extra control in the bass, similar to what one would observe with the standard 200Hz recession on the Harman target. It's just more subtle.
How is your A3T going? Still good? I finally add the U12T to my collection, the day you announced you sold it :dt880smile: Looking for an EDC but none of the ChiFi on my review desk at the moment matches the comfort of APEX and the sheer sound quality of U12T. I’m thinking about the A3T again.

Any rumor about U3T, btw?

Mar 25, 2023 at 11:35 PM Post #3,234 of 3,654
Thank you for your review, Precog. I would have liked to read more of a comparison between the U4s and the U6t, since they are just $200 apart. You only mention that the U6t has superior imaging, but given how closely they are priced and the different driver architecture, I'm curious how they differ in other areas as well.

Mar 26, 2023 at 1:31 AM Post #3,235 of 3,654

Hi! Yea, I've been less active on the forums the past year, and slowed down on my reviews, but been doing a bit more recently. Just getting really busy at work and other hobbies, so hard to find time to be active.

Mar 26, 2023 at 6:30 AM Post #3,236 of 3,654
Yes, smoothing those regions out was part of Symphonium's intentions with the Helios SE. I think they achieved their end goal, and on top of that created something much more comfy and accessible size wise to a wider audience.

And correct, it's a great upgrade for those who wanted a more direct upgrade to the Meteor.
The Helios SE is a partnership between Elise Audio and Symphonium.

The owner of Elise Audio, long time Helios OG fan (and with a tendency to EQ everything that passes through his hands), stumbled upon an EQ setting he liked so much, he reached out to the fantastic people at Symphonium for a bespoke unit – A Helios with his EQ settings and different shell. Those great guys, enjoyed that same setting as he did and a suggestion of a collaboration between them for a special limited run, of what we now have come to know as the Helios SE.

I for one have had the opportunity to listen to it and am anxiously waiting for the release. Soon guys, Soon!

Last edited:
Mar 26, 2023 at 7:16 AM Post #3,237 of 3,654
The Helios SE is a partnership between Elise Audio and Symphonium.

The owner of Elise Audio, long time Helios OG fan (and with a tendency to EQ everything that passes through his hands), stumbled upon an EQ setting he liked so much, he reached out to the fantastic people at Symphonium for a bespoke unit – A Helios with his EQ settings and different shell. Those great guys, enjoyed that same setting as he did and a suggestion of a collaboration between them for a special limited run, of what we now have come to know as the Helios SE.

I for one have had the opportunity to listen to it and is anxiously waiting for the release. Soon guys, Soon!

Hi,

I wasn’t aware about that during this time!

Between when I posted and now, Ahmed and I have caught up and now I’m aware of full details.

Thanks for correcting me!

Mar 27, 2023 at 11:55 AM Post #3,239 of 3,654
https://headfonics.com/64-audio-u4s-review

OUR VERDICT

The 64 Audio U4s is a huge step up on my older U4 SE 4-driver model. The introduction of the dynamic driver and the tia highs not only improve the dynamic range and the level of headroom in its staging performance considerably but also gives more expensive models in the 64 Audio lineup such as the Duo and the U6t a serious run for their money.

This is a hybrid with plenty of power and plenty of sub-bass, but also one that avoids sounding muddy and bloated. It has an impressive level of clarity through the mids and highs with the only detraction being a slight lack of body and texture through the lower mids.

Discerning bassheads should enjoy this, it is tailor-made for EDM and modern R’n’B. However, don’t rule the U4s either simply as an audiophile. With the apex filtering you can tweak it to an almost neutral presentation if so desired so it is much more flexible than you might think.”

I will pass U4s.. as I am not a fan of atom module tweaking. I feel changing modules not only change bass level but whole sound sig./sound pressure -I prefer at least M15(and higher) for mid and high performance as well.
Also with U6t, U12t and Fir Kr5, prob no need of U4s for me.

Last edited:
Mar 27, 2023 at 11:57 AM Post #3,240 of 3,654
It's interesting that I still have my original U4's and have always thought they held there own with much pricier, newer IEMs. Looking forward to hearing the new ones.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back