Precog's IEM Reviews & Impressions
Jun 3, 2022 at 1:41 AM Post #2,326 of 3,654
Kinda off topic but I was playing around with super review/ precogs database to autoeq my u6t sound like other iems (annhilator and z1r sounded rly good)

For fun I tuned my u6t into the campfire honeydew. All I can say is wow lol. I was pretty speechless afterwards (not in a good way)

Jun 4, 2022 at 1:37 AM Post #2,328 of 3,654
I've been spoiled with the Z1R that investing in anything past the kilobuck range makes me feel like I'm just "wasting" money. Though I am quite interested to see your CIEM Diva impressions/review and if it still retains what you heard from the universal version (maybe better but as an Z1R/S8 fan the treble score is concerning for me). I am also waiting for the A3T review too! I do want to invest in a CIEM, like I could just go for the comfort pick and get CIEM S8, but who would do that ((( :

Last edited:
Jun 4, 2022 at 6:01 PM Post #2,329 of 3,654
@Precogvision on your ranking, the Thie Elixir got 6 for its midrange. What makes it 2 steps below sets like IE600 and SA6 (which both got 8) or the Moondrop single-DD collective (which all got 7)?

Hmm...subjectively, I don't think the Elixir's midrange works as nicely as said sets relative to the sound it's shooting for. I guess you could say it almost feels like it lacks some direction. The difference compared to SA6 is probably the easiest to explain. The SA6's pinna compensation and upper-midrange are on the more relaxed side which I find makes it a safer choice, at least for my preferences, relative to the Elixir. It's also warmer (on the Atmospheric mode at least) in the lower-midrange, which is partially the rationale behind why the Moondrop single-DDs have the "7" over the Elixir despite having similar upper-midranges. I just feel like the warmth on those sets works better; this is also a timbre thing for me, as I find those sets to have superior midrange timbre to the Elixir. The IE600's "8" for midrange is wishy-washy, and I think I'll need to adjust the score closer to a 7.

I've been spoiled with the Z1R that investing in anything past the kilobuck range makes me feel like I'm just "wasting" money. Though I am quite interested to see your CIEM Diva impressions/review and if it still retains what you heard from the universal version (maybe better but as an Z1R/S8 fan the treble score is concerning for me). I am also waiting for the A3T review too! I do want to invest in a CIEM, like I could just go for the comfort pick and get CIEM S8, but who would do that ((( :

I'll likely get the A3T, which I'm hoping comes in next week, before the Diva. I'm pretty excited about that one! I'm a bit remiss to have gotten the CIEM version of the Diva, though. The Apex porting on the 64A stuff really makes a difference...I was playing around with the dummy shells for the Diva and could feel the pressure after a while. But I don't want to deal with changing my order at this point and pestering Lee more about it, especially after how long I already waited for the dummy shells haha.

Regarding the treble scores, I'm actually not sure how I feel about the IER-Z1R's treble these days. I listened to it again a few weeks ago and it felt a bit rough and lacking upper-treble extension to me, which goes to show how preferences change. It's still a pretty good treble response, I'm just not sold on it like I used to be. I also think the Diva has a similar treble response to the S8, but I was thinking of the U12t's treble response (as it has a mid-treble dip) when I scored the Diva. So yeah, some inconsistencies in the ranking list - just haven't gotten around to doing shuffles/updates :)

Last edited:
Jun 4, 2022 at 6:48 PM Post #2,330 of 3,654
I tried the Z1R for the first time a month ago, and took a lot of time. That iem needs to be shoved half way through your skull to sound 'right' imo and I don't have the ears for it. Even my biggest gaping ear friends have problems with the damn gooch protrusion the thing has ( containing a BA for sure) hits the ear canal and sucks. But WHEN you nail it, holy wow. It has mojo. IMO Sony needs to fix the damn shell, there is no reason for someone to have to endure the stupid heaviness and hurty pokeys.

Jun 4, 2022 at 7:10 PM Post #2,331 of 3,654
I tried the Z1R for the first time a month ago, and took a lot of time. That iem needs to be shoved half way through your skull to sound 'right' imo and I don't have the ears for it. Even my biggest gaping ear friends have problems with the damn gooch protrusion the thing has ( containing a BA for sure) hits the ear canal and sucks. But WHEN you nail it, holy wow. It has mojo. IMO Sony needs to fix the damn shell, there is no reason for someone to have to endure the stupid heaviness and hurty pokeys.
I think the Z1R actually best fits people with shallow ear canals rather than people with large ears. I have relatively small ears and pretty shallow ears and the Z1R is very comfortable for me. The thing is that most of the shell hangs outside of my ear and the cable looped around my ear is what keeps it in place.

Jun 4, 2022 at 7:11 PM Post #2,332 of 3,654
Speaking of the Z1R, wouldn't be surprised if more people have had fit issues with this set than the Etymotic IEMs.

If both the u12t and Z1R are still relevant when I go shop for a TOTL IEM in the near future, the u12t's fit has me sold much more despite how much people gush over the Z1R's bass response. I think comfort is something people tend to overlook when buying IEMs.

Maybe I'll get both because why not? (Wouldn't shock me if the Z1R fit sucks and have to return it.)

Having more IEMs is never a bad thing, I love trying out IEMs.

Last edited:
Jun 5, 2022 at 12:24 AM Post #2,333 of 3,654
Been strolling around this thread in last few weeks after my long hiatus, and this new kid on the block @Precogvision went straight up to my reference reviewer list. Your extra attention and details to the IEM sets combined with humble yet passionate way of writing really made me enjoy your review on this thread and your formal work on headphones.com
Best part is a lot of your impressions really in line with what I'm hearing from lot of IEMs although I don't have as many IEMs that I've own / tried. Keep up the good works, and my respect for you @Precogvision

Jun 5, 2022 at 12:39 AM Post #2,334 of 3,654
Been strolling around this thread in last few weeks after my long hiatus, and this new kid on the block @Precogvision went straight up to my reference reviewer list. Your extra attention and details to the IEM sets combined with humble yet passionate way of writing really made me enjoy your review on this thread and your formal work on headphones.com
Best part is a lot of your impressions really in line with what I'm hearing from lot of IEMs although I don't have as many IEMs that I've own / tried. Keep up the good works, and my respect for you @Precogvision
Not related to the thread but I see that you have a modded CRA. How did you mod it? :)

Jun 5, 2022 at 12:52 AM Post #2,335 of 3,654
Not related to the thread but I see that you have a modded CRA. How did you mod it? :)

Basically same with my classic mod. I've write about it with BLON BL-03 in the past https://www.head-fi.org/threads/blo...ressions-thread.916702/page-257#post-15814248

But CRA is only using 1 layer paper damper without grills, so actually to improve the bass quality just need to pinch a needle hole to make airflow for cleaner bass without smears. But ironically you have to take out the damper first since pinch the hole directly will made entire damper go in the nozzle.
I just ditch the original paper damper and change it with mesh 500 damper with a needle hole on center (done before stick it on nozzle lip), and I put low density "sony" foam to tame the low trebles a bit (or just enough to absorb over resonance sparkles).
different materials made different effects, simple way : paper, nylon dampers mostly affects high mids area (2-4 khz) because of the blockage, and little effects to trebles, but this method is tend to made mid and bass quality drop because of bad airflow of dynamic driver. But lot of chinese IEM maker using this easy, constant, cheap method to achieve smoother tonality.
While different foam materials absorb resonance of sparkles, to effecting 5-15khz depends on its foam density if not block the entire nozzle, with blockage they also effecting high mid range.

@Precogvision sorry for the derail

Jun 5, 2022 at 4:25 AM Post #2,336 of 3,654
It's a real shame you don't get a good fit with the Z1R. I have small wars and shallow canals and it fits like a glove. Sure it's heavy and the shells protrude, but I'm not going running with it. If you get a good fit, in my opinion there's no other IEM that comes close to matching it, if you enjoy the Sony sound of course.

Jun 6, 2022 at 6:51 PM Post #2,339 of 3,654
I had a suspicion that mystery IEM I saw on Precog's ranking list a few days ago was the Vulkan.

It's a shame the Vulkan has middling resolution because the boogeyman of the sub $500 price bracket gives it strong competition and is 50 dollars cheaper.

Jun 6, 2022 at 8:58 PM Post #2,340 of 3,654
I had a suspicion that mystery IEM I saw on Precog's ranking list a few days ago was the Vulkan.

It's a shame the Vulkan has middling resolution because the boogeyman of the sub $500 price bracket gives it strong competition and is 50 dollars cheaper.
It only scores one point lower in resolution, which I suspect is mostly a product of its tuning.

Plus, these things are subjective anyways.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back