Precog's IEM Reviews & Impressions
Nov 14, 2021 at 2:42 PM Post #1,711 of 3,662
Hey, I recently sold my ie900 even though I believe it was a very good IEM. I thought the vocals were drowned out a bit too much by the treble. So I am looking for my next IEM.

I am trying to find a good IEM for vocals and natural dynamics, I've read a lot of precogs reviews and it seems like the u6t is a perfect IEM for my preferences.

I've also been very curious about buying MEST MKII (since it gets a lot of praise) how does that compare to the ie900 in terms of mid/vocals? You gave the MEST2 an 8/10 for mids compared to the ie900 which received a 5/10 (quite understandably), but according to the frequency response, they are both similar in how they elevate from presence region to 8k and lack of pinna compensation.

I don't think I ever found MEST MKII lacking in pinna compensation. But my requirements for pinna compensation are probably lower than most listeners, as I actually tend to prefer those types of IEMs. For example, I recall finding the OG MEST to be slightly upper-midrange oriented and upfront when it clearly did not have much pinna either. I guess the IE900 just stepped over that line for me.

I do think the U6t has better vocals and dynamics than these other IEMs - at least in a "pleasantness above all else" sense. In that vein, just be aware that it's not as technical for sheer clarity from memory. Hope this helps!

Nov 14, 2021 at 3:13 PM Post #1,712 of 3,662
Maybe depends on matching with source.
Mest Mk2 and Crassi scale a lot with right source.

Nov 14, 2021 at 7:28 PM Post #1,713 of 3,662
Mest 1 with adjusted mids and less "wonky" treble definitely can top everything as far as ive heard with these totls. But. Man can just dream...

Hiatus for so long in the iem game after venturing myself for hifi. I feel like I have more time sitting in my room with loudspeakers nowadays than commuting etc.

Nov 14, 2021 at 9:08 PM Post #1,714 of 3,662
I have to admit that I'm getting somewhat weary of IEMs too. None of the new budget stuff really entertains me despite the massive variety. I have a bunch of IEMs sitting on my desk (Kato, Timeless, DUNU) that I haven't really touched. They sound good for sure, I'm just not in the mood to hear them as of late. Part of the reason for that might be because I've also gotten somewhat bored with my writing style. I'm currently writing a rhetorical film analysis for one of my classes, and it was kind of alarming that I've been more excited to write about that than IEMs. I don't know - it just feels like reviewing has gotten somewhat repetitive, and I'd like to make some changes to spice things up. I'd be interested in any feedback you guys have in that regard.

Back to audio, I've also had a mid-fi phase where I've been buying and selling kilobuck IEMs because I felt like I missed something when I jumped from budget IEMs directly to the U12t. It's been fun and all, but I know my preferences at this point. I'm basically just waiting for an IEM to be released that tops either the Helios or the U12t for me. None of the flagship stuff even really excites me. Actually, the only thing that really had me excited these past few weeks was getting to hear a friend's speaker setup. It wasn't anything crazy, but there's just no comparison between the dynamics and imaging of speakers versus IEMs. He also had a subwoofer which convinced me I need one for my setup when I get back home - music just isn't the same without the sub-bass frequencies.

TL;DR: I guess I've entered the (extra) jaded period of my audiophile journey. I'm not going to stop writing about IEMs, but I could definitely use some thoughts on what you guys would like to see.

Nov 14, 2021 at 9:17 PM Post #1,715 of 3,662
I have to admit that I'm getting somewhat weary of IEMs too. None of the new budget stuff really entertains me despite the massive variety. I have a bunch of IEMs sitting on my desk (Kato, Timeless, DUNU) that I haven't really touched. They sound good for sure, I'm just not in the mood to hear them as of late. Part of the reason for that might be because I've also gotten somewhat bored with my writing style. I'm currently writing a rhetorical film analysis for one of my classes, and it was kind of alarming that I've been more excited to write about that than IEMs. I don't know - it just feels like reviewing has gotten somewhat repetitive, and I'd like to make some changes to spice things up. I'd be interested in any feedback you guys have in that regard.

Back to audio, I've also had a mid-fi phase where I've been buying and selling kilobuck IEMs because I felt like I missed something when I jumped from budget IEMs directly to the U12t. It's been fun and all, but I know my preferences at this point. I'm basically just waiting for an IEM to be released that tops either the Helios or the U12t for me. None of the flagship stuff even really excites me. Actually, the only thing that really had me excited these past few weeks was getting to hear a friend's speaker setup. It wasn't anything crazy, but there's just no comparison between the dynamics and imaging of speakers versus IEMs. He also had a subwoofer which convinced me I need one for my setup when I get back home - music just isn't the same without the sub-bass frequencies.

TL;DR: I guess I've entered the (extra) jaded period of my audiophile journey. I'm not going to stop writing about IEMs, but I could definitely use some thoughts on what you guys would like to see.
Just like to ask what are some of your favourite single DD iems and do you agree that single DD's sound more life like then any other iem driver types you've heard?

Nov 14, 2021 at 10:04 PM Post #1,716 of 3,662

I've never been a reviewer; have owned tons of gear without ever even posting impressions, tbh. I know....not much help for the community, but I just don't have the ability to wax poetic in a technical yet also understandable way. Plus, I've rarely had the time to do so thoughtfully. This is just a lead-in to say: I know of what you speak. Been there.

I left the hobby for almost 6 years until "coming back" ~April/May 2020. I feel fortunate in that my attitude towards this hobby clearly changed during my hiatus. I have shockingly gotten away with really not spending that much since coming back, and yeah, similar to you, the TOTL stuff isn't really eliciting the hyper-consumerism in me that I assumed it would. I have the financial wherewithal to pay the price of admission...I just don't want to. Weird. hahahaha

Thus, here I sit, straddling the line between mid-fi and hi-fi, taking much more interest in ear buds, of all things. I'll probably never go back to speakers, because I am constantly moving around my house/property when I'm home. Being tied to a desk or listening room has zero appeal to me. Thus, I am remaining in portable land, with all its limitations and relative lack of bang-for-buck.

I hope you get your mojo back. I really enjoy your takes.

Nov 14, 2021 at 11:13 PM Post #1,717 of 3,662

You can always try mixing up your writing style with some low-stakes sets like those from KZ, the CCA models that aren't just direct clones of the KZ, TRN, or maybe even just some weird sets like the planars from Toneking. Sets that nobody really expects much from. Or you can journey down the JVC wooden IEMs for a brief period to experience some of the weirdness that can arise from Japanese sets when they go "tonewood cabinets make the speakers sound warmer, so what if we make the shell out of wood, and also make the diaphragm out of wood too?" They're heavily colored, but some people really love them.

Nov 15, 2021 at 1:34 AM Post #1,718 of 3,662

I feel you man. That's the game though, it's all fun and exciting when the novelty is fresh and you're still in the early throes of your journey, but at some point along the way it starts to feel like you've walked that path already, been to that lake, seen that forest. You know what I mean.

Also, in your case, you've ramped up reviewing and are doing it mainly with lower end gear. I'm not meaning to be snobbish here or anything, but if your interest is more the state of the art, then reviewing less but focusing more on the high-end and 'new' will give you breathing space between hikes (to continue the journey analogy) and also get you out of the mire, so to speak.

I love the 'pushing the boundaries' part of the hobby - and writing about it - like an explorer in unchartered territory. If you continue wallowing in Chi-Fi/mid-fi 'Hell' where everything is a minor variation on the next and built to a budget, you'll quickly get bored because, let's face it, that's not what you're interested in or would buy for yourself. If as a writer you have little to no interest in the subject, writing becomes a chore or a job just like anything else.

Just my 0.02, from someone who dabbles, and really enjoys your writing and opinions.

PS. Don't make the mistake of comparing IEMs to a good speaker setup, or even headphones. They're incomparable. Each have their time and place. It's not an either or. And also remember a good speaker setup is very much a novelty for us head-fiers. Hence that freshness and wow factor. That dopamine hit.

PPS. A hifi setup without a subwoofer is not a hifi setup. Don't let anyone tell you different.

Nov 15, 2021 at 2:30 AM Post #1,719 of 3,662
Maybe depends on matching with source.
Mest Mk2 and Crassi scale a lot with right source.
I agree mest mk2 is source picky , n6ii R01 made It much better with thick notes and wonderful dynamism but with ifi signature it was very much analytical and lean notes, same with paw s1 vs Quedelix 5k ,
So I think as you mentioned its source picky

Nov 15, 2021 at 3:42 AM Post #1,720 of 3,662

How about going into another audio rabbithole, eg speakers or earbuds?

I used to be very skeptical about earbuds and looked down on them for years. But after diving into the earbuds rabbithole (nice folk and discussion can be found here: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/earbuds-round-up.441400/), they are actually like mini open backed headphones without clamp/heat of the pads. Earbuds give superior soundstage to IEMs, most are single DD so the timbral accuracy is authentic. Most earbuds have weak subbass (due to lack of seal), and they may not be as technical proficient as IEMs. But pound for pound, the earbuds are cheaper than IEMs, even sub $10 can give good sound, $50 is considered midFI and $100 can get you TOTL earbuds.

Nov 15, 2021 at 7:54 AM Post #1,721 of 3,662

That sounds pretty depressing! Hope that you will get over that phase
Anyway, I'm eager to hear your impressions of the iSine 20/ LCD-i3. There aren't many reviews out there about these "IEMs" and most of them aren't that critical. It would be great if you could spare your timing for these niche monitors.

You are one of the few reviewers whose reviews I read over and over again.

Last edited:
Nov 15, 2021 at 9:59 AM Post #1,722 of 3,662

I used to be very skeptical about earbuds and looked down on them for years. But after diving into the earbuds rabbithole (nice folk and discussion can be found here: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/earbuds-round-up.441400/), they are actually like mini open backed headphones without clamp/heat of the pads. Earbuds give superior soundstage to IEMs, most are single DD so the timbral accuracy is authentic. Most earbuds have weak subbass (due to lack of seal), and they may not be as technical proficient as IEMs. But pound for pound, the earbuds are cheaper than IEMs, even sub $10 can give good sound, $50 is considered midFI and $100 can get you TOTL earbuds.

100% agree - I too was sceptical, now often reach for a $300 TOTL bud instead of a $5k TOTL IEM!

Nov 15, 2021 at 1:32 PM Post #1,724 of 3,662
Tuning matters, not drivers.
Driver selection is very important, but even the best drivers can be ruined by poor tuning.

Nov 15, 2021 at 1:37 PM Post #1,725 of 3,662

On top of that, like with internal combustion car engines, there's no replacement for displacement. You can cope with some smaller high excursion drivers, but the sound will be more effortless from a larger driver. And you're unlikely to find 15mm DD in IEMs, which are relatively common in earbuds. I just don't really like how they feel in my ears, which is a real shame because they can sound great.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back