Precog's IEM Reviews & Impressions
Nov 30, 2020 at 10:58 AM Post #256 of 3,654
haha. im a former drummer. I love gear, too. Thanks all for testing that track out.

I guess i either need to reboot my computer or something happened to my dac. Tried it out on my xmc-1 i can hear the chicks on all iems. Hearing remains intact even though EEEEEEEEEEEEE noise in my ears all day. *thumbs up*

edit* and we figured it out. Always ensure your cables and adapters are fully seated!

edit edit* I also take back what i said about the Thummim. Its a nice IEM. Is it $4400 nice? That's another story.

Last edited:
Dec 2, 2020 at 5:01 PM Post #257 of 3,654
Personal Favorites

It's been almost a year over two years almost three years to the day since I purchased my first real IEM, and wow, what a ride it's been. I still fondly recall thinking to myself, "Dang. Why's this stuff so expensive? And who drops $500, much less upwards of $2000 on an IEM?!" not too long ago. Well, the results have been...surprising, to say the least. Never could I have imagined that I'd get to hear half the stuff that I have (60+ 200+ 300+IEMs at this point!), get to know so many fellow hobbyists, land a gig for my hobby, or fly across the world, solo, to cover an audio show.

Some will observe that the list has seen something of a shift for 2022. In past years, there has been a decent number of more "budget" oriented IEMs on the list, or IEMs under $500. However, this year, these IEMs have all been eschewed but for one $300 IEM. I think this simply reflects my current thoughts on the state of the market, especially as a reviewer. Yes, these types of budget IEMs have come a long way and some present tremendous value. But simultaneously, I find it hard to ignore the feeling that they have become increasingly homogenous in sound and become a race to the bottom. Something like that...well, it doesn't excite me. Don't get me wrong: I'm not saying that IEMs should stray entirely off the beaten path. And I'm certainly not saying you need to spend exorbitantly to hear good sound! But these days, I do find myself more excited by IEMs that challenge the status quo and do so tastefully, which is something that usually comes with a higher price tag attached.

And hey, I make no claims that this list is any way objective. The IEMs are not ranked by technicalities, tonality, order, or anything of the sort specifically. They're just the IEMs that I think give me the most satisfaction at this point in time, so let's get to it.

64 Audio U12t

3328AEB9-58B1-4CD0-8E24-DB6F982271BA.jpeg

You already knew this would be making the list for the third year in a row, and it shows no signs of being knocked either. The U12t masterfully walks the line between colored yet mostly balanced. The 2-5kHz dip to the upper-midrange, in conjunction with the mid and upper-treble contrast, begets an unprecedented sense of soundstage depth. Intangibly, the U12t remains a top performer. While I don’t think the U12t is the most uber-crisp IEM - there’s a certain softness to its attack transients - the U12t’s macrodynamic contrast and sense of layering are top-notch. There's not much else that hasn't been said before, but make no mistake that the U12t is still one of the best BA IEMs on the market, if not the best BA IEM on the market. It likewise remains my top recommendation, the perennial flagship benchmark, whenever I'm asked which flagship IEM I'd buy.

DUNU SA6 / Ultra

A489EDBB-308B-4533-8B13-4419C6048A4D.jpeg

This is getting added back after I removed it some time ago. The SA6 follows a QDC-inspired tuning, but it couldn't be more different when it comes to the intangibles. It has more bass texture than the QDC IEMs and a wet, slightly soft characteristic to its transients that's a whole lot more reminiscent of the U12t. The SA6, then, is expectedly one of the better offenders of BA timbre. The SA6 has a few minor tuning grievances like its ever-so-slightly uneven upper-midrange and treble response. Staging and layering on the SA6 are also honestly nothing special, for which the Ultra version improves upon these issues marginally. But damn, it's just such a well-rounded set overall, one that I slap on and find myself getting lost in the music.

Elysian Acoustic Labs Diva​

diva13.jpg

Step aside, Annihilator 2021. The Diva is my new go-to out of the Elysian lineup. It's definitely not as technical as the Annihilator (or even the Gaea for that matter), but I find the Diva's tuning to be more palatable for extended listening. In this vein, the Diva's sound is incredibly flexible due to an integrated bass dial which allows for three distinct tunings. However, the common denominator that shines through is a slightly sharpened characteristic to notes, in a glossy manner, without delving into harshness. This phenomenon is thanks to a number of fine-tuning adjustments: an incredibly clean sub-bass shelf, an emphasized but controlled upper-midrange, and sharp dampening at the usual 8kHz resonance before the treble comes back up. There's no question that the Diva merits its price and then some; the real question is whether you're willing to play the waiting game for this excellent IEM.

7th Acoustics Supernova

DSC03627-Edit-2.jpg

This IEM was certainly a pleasant surprise given that it hails from an obscure boutique brand in Indonesia. I will disclose that my initial excitement over it has already begun cooling, but it stands that this might be one of the most well-tuned sets on the market. The Supernova's midrange tonality is bordering on impeccable with a slight bias to male vocals and instruments like bass guitar. There are also zero peaks, zero valleys in the entirety of its frequency response which translates to effortless volume cranking and incredible timbre (yes, arguably better than a DD to my ears) and coherency. It would be hard to believe that this is a six BA setup if it weren't for the slightly weak bass impact. Speaking of which, the usual caveats that come with these types of tunings also apply: not exciting enough, needs more resolution, needs more upper-treble zing. But you might just stop caring after a couple hours with these in your ears.

Moondrop B2: Dusk

265A0F14-023F-4E77-A4AB-6C8F9EEC1A77.jpeg

What happens when you put the tuning of the already-good B2 into more capable hands? Well, you get the Dusk tuned by the (in)famous IEM reviewer Crinacle. The tonal balance of the Dusk is nothing short of exceptional with a terrific sub-bass shelf and balanced, slightly thicker midrange. There are few IEMs under a grand that top how well this thing's been tuned. Expectedly, the intangibles remain the bottleneck to what is an otherwise terrific IEM. While the Dusk maintains much of what made B2 great, the Dusk's bass is un-characteristically dry for a DD, and its imaging isn't quite as good as its brother. Still, it cleans up a lot of the BA timbre, and if the B2 was "nothing tops this under $300 good," suffice it to say the Dusk remains in a class of its own at this price point.

Symphonium Audio Helios

C5BB8E34-7AFE-4BCD-A89F-B589AB7CC97D.jpeg

The Helios has a squeaky-clean tonality with some of the best treble that I've heard; it's nearly linear up to the limits of my hearing without any egregious peaks or valleys. But the Helios is by no means analytical either. Whether by virtue of the longer than average tubing being used or that excellent treble response, imaging is slightly out-of-head and triggers the "behind the ears" effect that only the most holographic IEMs deliver. "BA" timbre is present - I don't think that the Helios has a "lifelike" presentation relative to, say, the ThieAudio Monarch MKII - but there is a great sense of vibrancy to transients and the Helios is at least above-average in the bass department. The only real point of contention with this IEM would be the chunky shells.

PhilPhone​

20210913-2L1A0097-Edit-1.jpg

Photo credit: Den-Fi

It's not an IEM, but out of the numerous headphones that I got to hear this year, this is the only one that really stood out to me. The PhilPhone is a modded headphone that meshes an Audio Technica housing with a Foster bio-dynamic driver. It follows that the PhilPhone's bass response is nothing short of breathtaking. It delivers slam, dynamics, and reverb for days. Perhaps even more impressive is just how much EQ you can slap on the bass without it distorting. Outside of this, the tonality of the PhilPhone is solid but not mind-blowing. The biggest issue would probably be a few peaks in the upper-treble which lend to a brighter treble response. Regardless, I can say that this is the only headphone that I have interest in owning at this point in time. The PhilPhone also has solid detail and imaging, certainly nothing that would leave me wanting for its price point.

This year, again, I didn't hear a single headphone that I think I'd want to own, so the Philphone stays.

Change-log:
(12/15/20) Removed SA6 for Dusk, updated Nio description
(4/09/21) Removed Nio (lack of resolution)
(8/03/21) Removed KXXS for Hana 2021, added back SA6
(12/23/21) Removed Andro 2020 for Symphonium Helios, removed IER-Z1R for Elysian Annihilator, added PhilPhone and honorable mentions
(11/26/22) Removed last year's honorable mentions, removed Elysian Annihilator, removed Tanchjim Hana 2021, added Elysian Diva, added 7A Supernova

Last edited:
Dec 2, 2020 at 5:09 PM Post #258 of 3,654
Personal Favorites

It's been almost a year to the day I purchased my first real IEM, and wow, what a ride it's been. I still fondly recall thinking to myself, "Dang. Why's this stuff so expensive? And who drops $500, much less upwards of $2000 on an IEM?!" not too long ago. Well, the results have been...surprising, to say the least. Never would I have imagined that I'd get to hear half the stuff that I have (60+ IEMs at this point!), get to know so many awesome, fellow hobbyists, much less land a job writing about what I like doing. And speaking of that job, I believe we're going to be making a tier-list of sorts soon for our favorite headphones/IEMs.

Which got me thinking...what do I actually like? After a couple of busts (looking at you, Noble X and Moondrop B1), I got real picky about the stuff that I was buying. And unfortunately, to my ears, most of the stuff that I hear - even the flagship stuff - is pretty average to mediocre; I have a tendency to cycle through stuff I don't like pretty quick. But amidst the plethora criticisms that I spew in my reviews and this thread, what follows are my current, favorite IEMs that I struggle to knock, that I fall back on time and time again. I think some of my picks are a bit cookie-cutter, but good ones nonetheless. No need to agree as usual, and I make no claims that this is any way objective! They're not ranked by technicalities, tonality, order, or anything of the sort specifically. I'll probably update this list going forward in the future as well.

64 Audio U12t
U12t all modules.jpg
Yeah, you already knew this would be making the list. The U12t follows what would be pretty close to my ideal target curve: a strong sub-bass emphasis, a linear midrange, and an easy-on-the-ears yet superbly extended treble response. The 2-5kHz dip to the upper-midrange is my favorite part of the tuning, begetting an unprecedented sense of depth I’ve not heard in another IEM; the U12t excels at projecting the center image, making it feel like the vocalist is actually there in front of you. Intangibly, the U12t also knows no equal to my ears. While I don’t think the U12t is the most uber-crisp IEM, as there’s a certain softness to its transient attack, the U12t’s macrodynamic ability, layering, and BA bass are all top-notch. There's not much else that hasn't been said before, but make no mistake that the U12t is one of the best, if not the best, BA IEMs on the market if only by virtue of how well-rounded it is. It likewise remains my top recommendation whenever I get asked which flagship IEM I'd buy.

64 Audio Nio
64 Audio Nio.jpg
While the Nio doesn’t quite graph like the U12t on paper, intangibly they share a lot of the same traits from 64 Audio’s signature imaging to the soft, easy-on-the-ears transient attack. The main allure of the Nio, though, is its DD subwoofer. It’s not the cleanest - in fact it’s almost downright dirty - but it’s the good, raw kind of dirty that comes from a juicy subbass shelf. The Nio’s midrange is thick, and the treble more laidback if not well-extended. This has some consequences such as sheer resolution taking a hit, and the Nio struggling with layering at times. Of course, that’s where the MX module comes in, as much as it’s really not to my preferences. And this effect, while the Nio’s not the most coherent or technical IEM at the flagship level, it’s a solid IEM that I think many will appreciate given its flexibility with the Apex modules.

Campfire Andromeda 2020
andromeda 2020.jpg
It’s no U12t and I can’t speak for previous iterations of the Andromeda, but the Andromeda 2020, at least, is a standout IEM in the kilobuck bracket. The tonality is something of a W-shape with a similar 2kHz ear gain and subsequent 2-5kHz dip as the U12t. I didn’t appreciate the treble enough when I had the Andromeda 2020; it’s some of the most crisp and well-extended treble out there. I would, however, cut some of that lower-midrange presence which exhibits a poor juxtaposition between overly thick and hollow thanks to the Andromeda 2020’s lack of transient density. And along these lines, intangibly, the Andromeda 2020 falls prey to many common BA IEM pitfalls: Textureless and anemic bass, generally compressed macrodynamics, and static microdynamics in the midrange. But the imaging, oh man, it’s to die for. The Andromeda 2020 is one of the few, truly holographic IEMs, and coupled with its sheer ability to diffuse the image and stellar layering chops, makes for my favorite kilobuck IEM. Campfire may get a lot of ****, but you won't hear me saying this IEM is anything short of excellent.

Dunu SA6
DUNU SA6.jpg
This is probably the weakest link on the list for my preferences, but what strikes me as impressive is just how darn solid the SA6 is all-round. The tonality is very good, something close to neutral or slightly U-shaped. Bass is certainly above average for a BA IEM, presenting dynamic slam and texture in moderation at the expense of some transient attack thanks to the vented subwoofers. The midrange is solid, never entering sibilance, if not being somewhat unnaturally forward at times due to the 4.5kHz peak. Treble...I think it might have a bit too much mid-treble; there's a sort of unevenness given the lower treble dip, but I'll need more listening time to fully assess it. While the SA6 also won't be taking home any awards for technicalities, as it does seem to struggle with layering, it's a competent performer. Dynamic contrast, in particular, is impressive given the price point. The SA6 is a worthy step over the Moondrop B2 which I had far too many issues with in retrospect (but I'd hang onto your B2 if you already have one). And while I don't think the SA6 is an IEM I'll enjoy as much in the long run, it stands as one of the most solid IEMs in its price-bracket.

Moondrop KXXS
moondrop kxxs.jpg
While this IEM doesn’t see as much ear time from me these days, I’ll always have a soft spot for it. The KXXS follows a Harman-esque tuning with a good deal of subbass, an upper-midrange emphasis, and a fairly subdued treble response. It can come off a bit bright, and my own preferences have shifted from 3kHz ear gains, but make no mistake that the KXXS is a very pleasing IEM tonally. Technical performance is fairly middling, perhaps decent for its price-bracket. In particular, the KXXS struggles with transient attack in the mid-bass (there’s a certain pillowy-ness to hits); this in tandem with the more laidback treble lends itself to a warmer, less-engaging listen. But that's of no ill consequence; I enjoy the timbral coloration plus DD timbre a good deal. The KXXS, KXXX, Starfield, whatever. They all sound nigh identical (although you do get slighted with the waifu packaging on the Starfield), and the KXXS is one of the best all-rounders money can buy under $200.

Sony IER-Z1R
It’s been too long since I’ve heard the IER-Z1R, but whatever, it’s making the list anyways. The IER-Z1R’s tuning is something of a mild V-shape. The bass, damn, is hands-down the best bass I’ve heard in an IEM. The transients are exceptionally dense, and sheer dynamic slam, texturing, it’s all there - perhaps even more notably, never bloating. The midrange and treble of the IER-Z1R don’t fare as well in retrospect, though. There is an unpleasant grittiness and dip to the lower-midrange, and the IER-Z1R’s treble is characterized by heavy amounts of lower-treble impact which can get fatiguing over extended listening. So yeah - not the most well-tuned IEM in my opinion. Indeed, what really carries the IER-Z1R into top-tier status is its intangibles. Despite transient attack being skewed to the slower side of things, there is a certain density to the IER-Z1R’s transients which makes it seem incredibly resolving (it’s not, by the way). And the overall presentation, oh my. There’s just something incredible about the way the IER-Z1R images - I’m inclined to say its mostly soundstage height, which most IEMs lack - that simply makes you feel like a king. You either like the IER-Z1R or you don’t; if you do, you’d better hope that your ears are deemed worthy cuz it's a chonker.
The IER-Z1R is the Mjölnir of the iem world. :joy:
1606946928493.png

Dec 2, 2020 at 10:11 PM Post #259 of 3,654
Dec 5, 2020 at 2:55 PM Post #261 of 3,654
:blush:
Should I worry about qc issues with the U12t. Like try and learn how to use a mic to check for channel imbalances?

I've ranted about this before, but as much as I like 64 Audio's stuff, they do need to work on their quality control. I could just be very unlucky, but my U12t has been sent in twice. Once for a loose joint (because their crappy stock cable exacerbates strain on the connector) where sound would cut out sporadically, and again for the right channel just up and dying on me. Someone else has mentioned having the exact same issues on Discord. Both my U12t and Nio match well; however, I also have a tia Trio review sample on-hand with a noticeable channel imbalance. Luckily, they'll take care of you and I haven't had an issue with their customer service, but I do baby them now.

Dec 5, 2020 at 4:50 PM Post #263 of 3,654
I've ranted about this before, but as much as I like 64 Audio's stuff, they do need to work on their quality control. I could just be very unlucky, but my U12t has been sent in twice. Once for a loose joint (because their crappy stock cable exacerbates strain on the connector) where sound would cut out sporadically, and again for the right channel just up and dying on me. Someone else has mentioned having the exact same issues on Discord. Both my U12t and Nio match well; however, I also have a tia Trio review sample on-hand with a noticeable channel imbalance. Luckily, they'll take care of you and I haven't had an issue with their customer service, but I do baby them now.
My 64 universals have always been impeccable but my A12t is my only CIEM from them that I haven’t had to send in for a channel imbalance that developed over regular use. Might be that they went for the IPX connector out of need maybe?

Dec 5, 2020 at 5:00 PM Post #264 of 3,654
Will you be doing a Trio review?

Right here :)

https://www.headphones.com/blogs/news/64-audio-tia-trio-review

I've heard another tia Trio, and I liked it so much I was thinking about buying one. But I noticed the review unit I currently have sounded fairly different, and measuring it on the coupler confirmed (~6dB difference in the bass which tbh I don't really notice, and vocals pan slightly to the left). Kind of left a bad taste in my mouth, but I still like listening to it sometimes. The imaging/staging is great.

Dec 5, 2020 at 5:03 PM Post #265 of 3,654
My 64 universals have always been impeccable but my A12t is my only CIEM from them that I haven’t had to send in for a channel imbalance that developed over regular use. Might be that they went for the IPX connector out of need maybe?
QC on customs seem much better. I've had my A3 for almost 3 years at this point and no issues. My A6t has floated around but I haven't heard of any issues. Literally Animus A12t is the only custom I've heard of QC issues.

Dec 5, 2020 at 5:50 PM Post #266 of 3,654
A12t is my only CIEM from them that I haven’t had to send in for a channel imbalance that developed over regular use.
Just to clarify, are you saying that you have not had any problems with your 64 CIEMs, or that you have had problems with all of your 64 CIEMs, with the exception of the A12t?

Dec 5, 2020 at 10:09 PM Post #267 of 3,654
I see..Im not sure if I could tell channel imbalances with my ears, though I'm planning to check for things like center image. Going for the measuring tool just for checking channel imbalance due to "OCD"...may be a bit excessive. How much does it cost and is it difficult to setup?

Hopefully no issues out of the box, gotta wait 3 weeks just for it to arrive :sob:

My 8SL decided to give me audio nirvana on listen all of a sudden. It's telling me not to abandon it

Dec 6, 2020 at 12:14 AM Post #268 of 3,654
I see..Im not sure if I could tell channel imbalances with my ears, though I'm planning to check for things like center image. Going for the measuring tool just for checking channel imbalance due to "OCD"...may be a bit excessive. How much does it cost and is it difficult to setup?

Hopefully no issues out of the box, gotta wait 3 weeks just for it to arrive :sob:

My 8SL decided to give me audio nirvana on listen all of a sudden. It's telling me not to abandon it
I can imagine the 8SL going full Gordon Ramsey on you and giving you the idiot sandwich treatment. But word of advice from an Odin owner, if you're happy with what you have, don't go and try something more expensive might lead to more regret.

@Precogvision I was rereading your Odin review as I was waiting for Fedex to deliver mine. I saw a Sawano Hiroyuki track mentioned as a test for macrodynamics. Curious which time stamps I should pay attention for. I don't have that particular track and I'm not sure if I can achieve the same standard with the Aldnoah Zero OST.

Dec 6, 2020 at 2:22 AM Post #269 of 3,654
@Precogvision I was rereading your Odin review as I was waiting for Fedex to deliver mine. I saw a Sawano Hiroyuki track mentioned as a test for macrodynamics. Curious which time stamps I should pay attention for. I don't have that particular track and I'm not sure if I can achieve the same standard with the Aldnoah Zero OST.

Yeah, sure thing man! It's "e of s". The transitions are 1:03, 2:03, 2:54 - you can't miss them, particularly the first one. I think the first one is best too, as it's preceded by a fairly restrained, quieter section. I recommend grabbing the remastered one from his Best of Vocal Works album if you decide to test it; it sounds like the dynamic range's a bit compressed on some of the other versions. If you can't find it just let me know, and I can PM it to you (as I don't think public link sharing is allowed).

It's the IEC711 simulator on Aliexpress, I think I got mine for like $90. It depends on if you're using Mac or Windows, but you definitely need a TRSS splitter as well. I had help from Ant setting mine up, or Banbeu can help you probably.

Last edited:
Dec 6, 2020 at 8:12 AM Post #270 of 3,654
Yeah, sure thing man! It's "e of s". The transitions are 1:03, 2:03, 2:54 - you can't miss them, particularly the first one. I think the first one is best too, as it's preceded by a fairly restrained, quieter section. I recommend grabbing the remastered one from his Best of Vocal Works album if you decide to test it; it sounds like the dynamic range's a bit compressed on some of the other versions. If you can't find it just let me know, and I can PM it to you (as I don't think public link sharing is allowed).

It's the IEC711 simulator on Aliexpress, I think I got mine for like $90. It depends on if you're using Mac or Windows, but you definitely need a TRSS splitter as well. I had help from Ant setting mine up, or Banbeu can help you probably.
Oh, didnt know you are a Hiroyuki fan as well. :thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back