Precautions to take when burning in an amp?
Sep 21, 2010 at 1:16 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Ratix0

New Head-Fier
Recently I have got my hands on a set of Graham Slee Voyager after hearing how well it sounded with my ER4P on flat, and Im even more amazed at how nice it sounded with the ER4S. I didn't really like the S due to a gigantic lack of bass, but on contour it gave a nice amount of bass, just the way I like it. Although I didn't like contour on my ER4P, its too much for my liking.

Nevertheless, I have been reading around and people are saying that burning it in would make this already fantastic amplifier sound way more fantastic. However, I am not too familiar with burning in amplifiers. I've managed to find some pink noise and white noise as well as frequency sweep from some website that goes by the name of Burn in Wave or something along the lines of that. I set them to an Ipod playlist and set it to run my voyager when I'm not using it (e.g. When I am asleep and stuff). I am wondering if theres any precautions I should take note of to prevent spoiling my amplifier? I have read that I should give headphones/earphones a rest while burning in, which means I shouldn't keep it running for hours non stop, but how about amplifiers?

Currently, I am intending to plug my P to S adaptor and a random cheap earpiece to let it run over the times when I am not using my voyager. Am I doing it right? And if I should give it a break, how long would you suggest I do to not burn out my amplifier (If it ever does, Im not sure).

Cheers!

Sep 23, 2010 at 6:14 AM Post #3 of 7
not sure how pink and white noise exactly works with amp burn it (if it makes any difference at all), but generally recommended procedure is just to plug in your amp and headphones and run a variety of music. as for duration, people vary with some running all day and giving one hour break, while others every few hours. honestly, I have in the past run a few hours (4 hrs) with some 30-40 min break, and then repeat the cycle. some claim that giving frequent breaks will be better for capacitors to charge and discharge for better burn-in, though achieving certain number of hours for burn in will take longer. 

my advice would be to skip white/ pink noise all together and just use some nice quality, dynamic range of music and enjoy listening to them if you have chance. 

as for burning out your amp, I doubt that will happen and never heard of anyone doing that, though headphones is a different matter. more likely you will be running out of battery and need to charge. just give them at least an hour or so break every once in a while (12/24 hrs) and you should be fine. 

others with more experience will hopefully chime in as well...

Sep 23, 2010 at 8:12 AM Post #4 of 7
Alrighty, I'll do just that. I was reading up, white noise and pink noise supposetly is better at burning in because it covers all(audible?) frequency range at the same energy level, meaning every frequency is burned at the same rate? Not too sure though.

I guess shouldn't be a problem letting it run for about 4 hours straight with 40 mins of break. Thanks!

Sep 26, 2010 at 5:01 AM Post #5 of 7
Have also heard of people using headphone out from digital radio broadcasts to burn in amps.
i would also use the day on few hours off approach.
White and pink noise tend to be used for burning in dynamic headphones for the reasons you mentioned.
Amps need to be processing a signal and loaded the other end (headphones plugged in) to "burn in".

hope this helps

Sep 27, 2010 at 8:41 PM Post #7 of 7
I think burn in was a process to select out solid state parts that would fail early: if the unit  did not fail it would likely run forever. That is from the old days of solid state and may be of no importance now.

Otherwise I don't think burn in alters audio, but there are true believers who would not agree. Certainly your amp will burn in if you listen to music through it.

F

Users who are viewing this thread

Back