Preamp suggestions
Apr 15, 2003 at 10:16 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

Vertigo-1

Señor Sony
Looking for some preamp suggestions around the $500 range as a future purchase. It can be tube or solid state, main criteria is for it to be as transparent as possible to the CDP signal. The goal: directly driving the Stax SRM-717 as a power amp, which is how I think Stax intended for it to be used ultimately.

Apr 15, 2003 at 10:20 PM Post #2 of 25
Look for a used Audio Research LS3 on Audiogon. An approximately seven year old piece will go for between $550-650. Ranked Stereophile Class A in 1995, the LS3 is hard to beat in that price range. My parents have one and it sounds absolutely fantastic. Just look at some of these reviews on AudioReview -

http://www.audioreview.com/PRD_118170_1591crx.aspx

Apr 15, 2003 at 10:56 PM Post #3 of 25
How about these ones? Bent Audio Model 102s and Seamless Interface Big Dog, or a DIY project with Silver Rock transformers? Just as examples... I know nothing about them.

If you want maximum transparency, transformer-based attenuators are the way to go. I never tried a TVC type, but use a potentiometer-based passive pre-amp with my Metaxas Solitaire power amp. As far as transparency is concerned, the passive concept is unbeatable to my ears.

But wait... I just don't get it exactly: the RM-717 is a headamp for Stax earspeakers with integrated volume control, right? So what is your intention to use a separate pre-amp for? Bypass the input stage?

peacesign.gif

Apr 16, 2003 at 12:45 AM Post #5 of 25
Quote:

Originally posted by JaZZ
But wait... I just don't get it exactly: the RM-717 is a headamp for Stax earspeakers with integrated volume control, right? So what is your intention to use a separate pre-amp for? Bypass the input stage?

The 717 has this magical little switch inside that allows you to turn it into essentially a power amp to drive Stax earspeakers, as can be seen here:

srm717-sw.jpg

From Stax's catalog description, it seems the 717 was designed to be used in this manner ideally, thus the unusal lack of input switching on this flagship SS amp.

Apr 16, 2003 at 5:48 AM Post #7 of 25
By the way, it would also be really nice if the preamp had a small form factor, ideally something that's about half the size of your typical CDP.

Would also be nice if the suggested preamps actually were in the $500 range...
wink.gif

Apr 16, 2003 at 11:42 AM Post #9 of 25
I just finished building the MAD Octal 6 preamp. It is switchable between two different active preamp circuits and one passive preamp circuit. It also has a second output that can either be wired as a second power out or output for a headphone amp. It comes in either kit form or prebuilt. I am using it to drive two Concordance "Billie" monoblocks and still experimenting with which preamp circuit sounds best. So far they all sound pretty good. There are also some other preamps made by MAD on this site. http://hollowstate.netfirms.com/

Apr 16, 2003 at 4:12 PM Post #11 of 25
And I dearly need, one I'll tell ya.

From my experience no preamp will not influence the system it is placed in, and if you are at all meticulous about your sound, it will be a costly investigation, indeed.

Furthermore, $500. will not get you anything that can do justice to the level of your current equipment.

Sorry but I think this would be a waste of time and money.

As for me, I am waiting till I can afford the time and money to investigate a few likely candidates directly in my system. The old buy/sell synergy search $$$ (whew).

Apr 16, 2003 at 4:25 PM Post #12 of 25
From Vertigo’s picture of the Stax amp: ‘When the switch is set to “DIRECT”, volume adjustment gets out of control.’

Hahaha. Love the Engrish.
tongue.gif

Apr 16, 2003 at 4:30 PM Post #13 of 25
Quote:

Originally posted by pigmode

From my experience no preamp will not influence the system it is placed in, and if you are at all meticulous about your sound, it will be a costly investigation, indeed.

Furthermore, $500. will not get you anything that can do justice to the level of your current equipment.

Yep! You read my mind, and I highly agree.
biggrin.gif

Apr 16, 2003 at 4:37 PM Post #14 of 25
Quote:

Originally posted by pigmode

Agreed as well. I can see no reason in bypassing an innocent potentiometer and instead switching tons of electronics into the signal path.

peacesign.gif

Apr 16, 2003 at 5:15 PM Post #15 of 25
Quote:

Originally posted by JaZZ
Agreed as well. I can see no reason in bypassing an innocent potentiometer and instead switching tons of electronics into the signal path.

peacesign.gif

Gain, which the Stax/FMJ probably does not need (yes, no?).

The magic of tubes--the topology, the all important specific quality of the iron used in the design. I think it could work, but the pre must match the existing system in terms of quality and personal taste. Again, the vicious circle...

Oh, I have no notion nor interest in these headamps convertible to a preamp function.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back