Pre-amping an Arrow with a FiiO E1 & other improvs
Apr 3, 2011 at 8:06 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

CARRION FEAST

100+ Head-Fier
I realize that it is usually better to have as direct a path from source to cans as possible, and this is definitely something I aim for......howerver...I recently lost my LOD & have been using a 3.5mm male to male cable to connect my 7th gen iPod classic to my Arrow 3g, sounds fine, but a better solution came in the form of my Fiio E1- I started using it as a LOD & effectively using it as a pre-amp and it actually sounds really good ......IMO. The best result of this for me is that I'm getting a pretty good sound out of the 800's - definately more volume, but also a clearer and more resonant bass.
My question is: has anyone else had any success playing around with portable amps and the HD800's- or any other finicky headphones?

Apr 3, 2011 at 10:34 AM Post #3 of 3
I agree, I use a Schiit Lyr at home- that said, the convenience of a portable amp in my home (my LCD-2's or 800's would be a trifle impractical on a bus) is great for the arduous journey from my kitchen to my garage and the bedroom to my toilet :) That said, my spare time combined with boredom, has been the mother of many an invention and many an improvisation......hence the discovery that pre-amping my Arrow made for some enjoyable listening experiences. So, although I agree that you can't listen to a pair of Sennheiser HD800's properly through a portable amp (an Arrow or whatever you've tried), I think that the range, quality and availability of equipment can make make for some suprising discoveries. The 800's, as well as being high-end equipment, are full of great and satisfying potential, surley that means being versatile as well? The sound isn't as good as through the Lyr, but with my Arrow through the E1, it sounds alot better than without. I'm really looking for some experiences of similar surprisingly pleasant results - accidental, or as the result of a sagaciously well thought-out experiment.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back