PPA last call
Jul 19, 2003 at 3:37 PM Post #31 of 69
Quote:

That would be sweet. Would it be possible for HDCD support? Or is that just too much?

Last time I checked, HDCD's are decoded by your source or exteneral DAC, not the amp.

Jul 19, 2003 at 3:40 PM Post #32 of 69
Did you read the couple posts before us??? They said they might make a DAC board to go along with the amp.

Jul 19, 2003 at 3:42 PM Post #33 of 69
Quote:

Did you read the couple posts before us???

Oops. Missed it. Sorry.
redface.gif

Jul 21, 2003 at 5:43 PM Post #36 of 69
Thanks for the feedback. The final prototype has been ordered.

I started the PPA project as a service to the DIY community and because I enjoy doing it. I don't benefit financially from the PPA or META42. I chose to post on Head-Fi instead of Headwize (as I did for the META42) because Head-Fi supports attachments. I did not take into account the political issues that have arisen due to the conflict of interest between some members of Head-Fi with commercial concerns and some members of Team PPA. I differentiate between developing and distributing a cheap board for the benefit of DIYers .vs. profiting from building and selling amps, but others do not. I will probably return to using Headwize for future community service project development threads to avoid exacerbating this conflict. My apologies for any ruffled feathers.

Jul 21, 2003 at 8:42 PM Post #37 of 69
Hate to see that happen, Morsel. Some of us around hear are very thankful to have you here, and would rather have you around, then the ones who consider themselves the "Morality Police".

I do understand how you feel, though, and will look forward to reading your posts on Headwise.

Thanks for all your work on our behalf.

Jul 21, 2003 at 9:00 PM Post #38 of 69
Quote:

Originally posted by Budgie
Hate to see that happen, Morsel. Some of us around hear are very thankful to have you here, and would rather have you around, then the ones who consider themselves the "Morality Police".

I do understand how you feel, though, and will look forward to reading your posts on Headwise.

Thanks for all your work on our behalf.

Ditto! Morsel, thanks for helping us spend our money
rolleyes.gif

hail.gif

/U.

Jul 21, 2003 at 9:02 PM Post #39 of 69
Final prototype? This is not the final version (to be sold by Tangent) then?
frown.gif
Ah well, I can wait. Good luck with testing, etc and whatever else is needed to be done before the board can be mass produced and sold.

I'm with Budgie, very thankful to have such talented individuals working for the good of the community. Any disrespect towards towards them has been by a vocal few - instead of the silent majority. The success of the Meta42 proves it, so many of us are reaping the benefits from the free (or nearly free) labor of a few.

The only thoughts I have are that perhaps the moderators (or better yet, jude himself) should take a firm stand on this issue and stick to it. That would solve the problem IMO. Either way this went, the rules would be clear and this silly bickering would end. My personal stance is that what's tangent's doing (after the hard, free work of himself and his team) is definitely more public service than a commercial venture. The DIY community here on Head-Fi and Headwize would be far, far smaller and less accessable without this service.

Thanks again PPA team, I'm patiently awaiting the final product
wink.gif

-dd3mon

Jul 21, 2003 at 9:12 PM Post #40 of 69
yeah, do stay... i'm sure many many more would miss you rather than be glad to see your back, me included! the META42 is so well used by many people here, and i know you make next to nothing off it, so presumably you enjoy it... i know we all appreciate it!

g

Jul 21, 2003 at 9:55 PM Post #41 of 69
I'm not leaving Head-Fi.
rolleyes.gif

Since most of us are on both Head-Fi and Headwise, it doesn't matter much to me which forum has amp development threads. I suspect it doesn't matter much to most people. Like I said, I picked Head-Fi this time around because it supports attachments, which is a nice feature not available on Headwize. In any case, I will still post on Head-Fi, and I am free to discuss the PPA on Head-Fi.

Thanks for your kind words.
I am especially amused and honored by the supplicating smiley.
hail.gif

dd3mon, this is the final version to be sold by Tangent. I probably should have explained the process in more detail. We need to make a prototype v0034 to make sure no errors or unexpected mechanical conflicts were introduced into the design since the last prototype v0023. When Tangent gets the board he will build a working amp with it. Once he is sure the board is OK he will then order production quantities. The finished board will be called v1.0 rather than v0034. This process will probably take from 3-6 weeks depending on how quickly ExpressPCB completes the orders and how busy Tangent is.

Jul 21, 2003 at 10:25 PM Post #42 of 69
There's a German saying that translates to:
What does a German oak care if a sow rubs against it?
Just ignore the bitching minority, you're above that...
hail.gif

hail.gif

hail.gif

hail.gif

hail.gif

hail.gif

hail.gif

hail.gif

hail.gif

hail.gif

hail.gif

hail.gif

Jul 21, 2003 at 11:46 PM Post #43 of 69
Hi PeterR,

If future community service project development threads are posted to Headwize, those of us who have commercial interests may speak more freely without infringing upon Head-Fi policies against commercial speech. It is not my speech that is in question.

Anyone can sell PPA based amps. Once you do, you can't speak freely about the PPA on Head-Fi. That is how I understand it, anyway.

What does speaking freely mean? This is a question best answered by Jude. Check out the Head-Fi Posting Rules and Terms of Use. I am including the relevant section here:
  1. "Member of the Trade" includes manufacturers, dealers, distributors, manufacturer's representatives, importers, magazine and e-zine writers and others.
  2. "General Forums" are those forums within Head-Fi not specifically designated as areas for commercial advertising by Members of the Trade.
  3. No Members of the Trade can use his/her business name, postal address, e-mail address, telephone number or URL as part of his/her moniker. All Members of the Trade must contact the forum administrator at jude@head-fi.org to notify him of an interest in posting before making any posts. If a forum member who was not previously a Member of the Trade becomes a Member of the Trade, he must notify the forum administrator of the change in status. After notification of the "Member of the Trade" status, the forum administrator will then add the appropriate tag (Audio Dealer, Manufacturer, Distributor, etc.) to the appropriate profile(s).
  4. A Member of the Trade may not volunteer any information about a specific product that he is selling or making, in response to a general request for information about a type of product or in any other discussion in the General Forums.
  5. A Member of the Trade may not post announcements, advertisements, sales information or the like about a product he makes or sells in the General Forums.
  6. No advertising by Members of the Trade that is not pre-approved by the Head-Fi administrators is allowed in the member forums. Some sponsors have Branded Sponsor Forums in which they will be allowed to advertise their wares. There will also be designated areas and forums where sponsors and non-sponsors alike will be able to advertise their wares. Head-Fi is most definately NOT anti-trade. In fact, trade members are a welcome and vital part of the Head-Fi community. However, Head-Fi's General Forums are not the place for self promotion and advertising of audio products or services.
I believe a Member of the Trade is allowed to answer direct questions about products they sell.

Jul 22, 2003 at 1:06 AM Post #44 of 69
Quote:

A Member of the Trade may not volunteer any information about a specific product that he is selling or making, in response to a general request for information about a type of product or in any other discussion in the General Forums.
A Member of the Trade may not post announcements, advertisements, sales information or the like about a product he makes or sells in the General Forums.

I suppose I don't quite get the problem. As I understand this you aren't that restricted even if you're selling the amps for profit. What you're not supposed to do if you have a commercial interest is abuse the discussion forums for tooting your own horn. So if someone asks for an amp recommendation, you keep your mouth shut. If there's a discussion about the merits of your amp vs. a competitor's you stay out of it. But I don't see how a development thread like this would be against the rules as long as it stays on a technical level. And if someone DIYing his META or soon PPA is asking for help someone building these amps commercially wouldn't be allowed to assist? Ridiculous thought, and from my understanding not what the rules are about.

But it's not like the oracle has spoken and we need to make sense of it - just ask Jude...

Jul 22, 2003 at 11:54 AM Post #45 of 69
I found Tangent's website have updates on the latest PPA. Good job!!
cool.gif

Only thing is the PPA schemactic...
rolleyes.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back